It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One dead and some wounded after Bull fighting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by blackrain17

I am in no way defending the way it's currently done, but I would point out that the Spanish name means "Bull Running" rather than "Fighting", and is seen more as an art than a sport in the usual sense. We call matadors "bullfighters", but the word in Spanish means "killer".

It may in fact be us, not them, who are making it out to be something other than what it is.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

So they torture the bull and prolong it's death and keep it scared and terrified .

I'm not even an animal lover at all....I like my personal space....but this is just cruel...and the worst is how that rationalize it as being legitimate.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It is cruel and tortuos to the animal. They call it a fight but it's like handcuffing someones' hands behind them and them ringing the bell for "Round 1" in a boxing match. All one sided
Thx for the thread

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
So they torture the bull and prolong it's death and keep it scared and terrified .
Not really, I am still waiting for the source of the "The bull was put down after hours of fighting" part, as far as I could see that was not part of the original article and its not true, they do not even kill the bulls in that event.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
It is cruel and tortuos to the animal. They call it a fight but it's like handcuffing someones' hands behind them and them ringing the bell for "Round 1" in a boxing match.
That's why one person died but all bulls survived?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Have any of you who 'deplore' this 'sport' seen a slaughterhouse?

Beef animals herded off trucks with cattle prods - trucks where they've been kept for hour after hour on the move with no food, no water and unable to (barely) move. God forbid one goes down during transport - it’s a goner.

Then they're prodded - cruelly I might add - through the chutes - scared and beaten - into smaller pens before being led into the slaughter area where they see, hear and smell death all about them.

From there it's standing in line behind your buddy who gets the stun gun, then you.

THAT IS BARBARIC!

But I bet every single one of you who sob and cry over and get sucked into the sensationalist ‘anger’ against bullfights eats meat, uses leather products, feeds your dog/cat beef byproducts, etc.

Me? I'd rather see a bull fight - where the bull has a fighting chance - and a chance to 'score' back on the ones who're provoking him.

Also, some bulls DO WIN. Google it, I wont spoon feed you.

Beyond that? This 'sport' has been a part of their native cultures for centuries. Leave them to it and clean up your own playpen. We keep on playing 'big sister' to everyone else's culture (and out own) soon we'll all be homogenized into one flat headed bunch of ninnies and dogs with nothing to call ‘our own’ but Dancing with the Stars and Reality TV.

It's also my added belief that young men (especially) NEED more sport such as this. Sure, it would be better if they were doing it to each other instead of animals.

Point being?

I believe one of the reasons there's so much crime and hate and gang war, etc? Because young men are not given the chance to get 'blooded'. It's all video games, big talk, and BS.

BUT!

Teach young men to protect themselves, give them self assurance, then turn them loose barehanded with only a little cape to fight a bull? I think you'd quickly find a generation of young men who not only appreciate life more, but have more respect for themselves and others, animals included.

Once all the braggadocio is over and they come face to face with a one ton freight train with horns headed in their direction with blood in it‘s eye? All of a sudden life (and death) gets a lot more real, precious and something to protect, not squander...

I can’t help but believe this would reduce the need for beating bums to death, lighting kittens on fire and performing drive by shootings on playgrounds as a ways and means to measure their inner limits while employing and expending testosterone.

peace
edit on 13-8-2011 by silo13 because: speeelin

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Agreed.

The two are both at that end of the scale. Perhaps the industrial meat industry being a little farther along.

I do not support either. I am not a vegetarian or vegan but I believe you need to treat animals with respect.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
I do not support either. I am not a vegetarian or vegan but I believe you need to treat animals with respect.

That's a funny thing, the people involved in the bullfight scene have a great respect for the bull, they are not seen as something they can use for the show but almost as an equal, trying to give the best it can in an unpredictable situation.

PS: in some places where the bull is treated after the bullfight, it can never enter another bullfight, they learn fast (sometimes we can see that the way it acts at the end is not the way it started) and will not be fooled a second time, now they will know what they should do to better hit the men.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Surrounding the bull and tormenting him just for a bit of fun. Do you think the bull can see respect in his eyes?

If what you say is true that most bulls only suffer for 30 minutes and then some can move on and live a peaceful life. That's like saying it's OK to rape and beat a woman, because don't worry she wont be raped ever again. It's like saying I raped her in a respectful way.

I'm sure bull fighting is different in different parts of the world, some probably do show respect like you say, but in that video all I saw was a very scared, confused and angry bull surrounded by thrill seekers abusing an animal for fun.
edit on 13-8-2011 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

That's a funny thing, the people involved in the bullfight scene have a great respect for the bull,

Thats one peverse form of respect in my eyes bud. I dont even think these peeps have any idea of why they stab the bull or of what religion it comes from. It is outdated and should be abolished..

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Surrounding the bull and tormenting him just for a bit of fun. Do you think the bull can see respect in his eyes?
Surrounding the bull and tormenting it is not bullfight, and that's a problem with this thread.

What is presented in the OP is some kind of festival in Colombia, in which they have that "free for all" bullfight. From what I have read about it, the bulls are not killed (contrary to what the OP says, but apparently with no source) on that festival, and every year some people die because they think they are faster than the bull.

If what you say is true that most bulls only suffer for 30 minutes and then some can move on and live a peaceful life. That's like saying it's OK to rape and beat a woman, because don't worry she wont be raped ever again. It's like saying I raped her in a respectful way.
It's 13 minutes in Portugal, and I think it's the same in Spain.
And no, it's not the same as saying that it's OK to rape and beat a woman, the bulls used in the bullfights are not tame bulls, when on the fields they attack any man or animal they see, some of the bulls never reach the arena because they are killed by other bulls during the time they are free on the fields (the first four years of their life).

I'm sure bull fighting is different in different parts of the world, some probably do show respect like you say, but in that video all I saw was a very scared, confused and angry bull surrounded by thrill seekers abusing an animal for fun.
That video doesn't show bullfighting, it shows a specific event (the corraleja, the name comes from corral) that only exists in Colombia (as far as I could find).

It looks more like a "running of the bulls" than a bullfight.

It's something like comparing a bar fight with a boxing match.

edit on 13/8/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I must say.. Im really disapointed in hearing you defend this barbaric animal cruelty madness..

Bullfighting is just SICK no matter how you put it... and it should be illegal.
Animals should not be tortured for the pleasure of men, simple as that.

Did you know they put broken glass in the bulls anus before a "fight" just to make it more angry

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Thats one peverse form of respect in my eyes bud.
The respect is there, the bull is not treated as an object but as a worthy opponent

I dont even think these peeps have any idea of why they stab the bull or of what religion it comes from. It is outdated and should be abolished..
They probably know why they do it, after all they are doing it.

As far as I know it doesn't come from any modern religion (although it may be connected to some Mediterranean religions before the Christian era, but some events are directly connected to religious (Christian) events, and one good example will happen on Monday, there are many bullfights on August 15.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Did you know they put broken glass in the bulls anus before a "fight" just to make it more angry

And how do you know that?

Do you know that a veterinary and police are always present before and during a bullfight, to ensure that everything goes according to the law?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I was under the assumption that it began as a mixture of ancient bull-leaping ceremonies and gladiatorial contests which eventually became amalgamated. It seems to have really taken off big time under the Moors in the Caliphate of Cordova/El Andalus.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I was once told by an anti-corrida activist in Malaga that in southern Spain there is also organised crime involvement, though I don't know at what level. Could they own the arenas or farms? Or is there gambling involved?

As much as I'm against it, I'm not sure if I believe the glass in the anus stuff. I have heard this before, but people I know in Spain who are against bullfighting have never mentioned it. If it were true, then I assume it would be one of their major points.
edit on 13/8/11 by NocturnalPhantom because: add a few words

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Im sure that veterinarian is one sick mother fuc... then

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NocturnalPhantom

Bulls are related to many fertility cults from ancient religions, and have always been considered as a sign of strength, and I think that's why many people think that if they can face a bull they will consider themselves stronger than common people.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

When you consider how much dumb and pointless legislation the EU Parliament come up with every day, I am amazed they still haven't banned this sort of barbarity. Too busy ruling on the correct curvature of bananas and so forth...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I think there is still potential for bullfighting in some form to survive, but any form that involves the killing and/or torturing of the animal really ought to be stopped pronto. Like we were saying earlier, the bloodless/velcro version seems to me to be the only viable option in this day and age, and if the traditionalists don't like it, let them go into the corner and cry among themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join