It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral dillemma for materialists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Suppose you could only save one of these two: a retarded human child or a intellegent chimp. Which one of these two would you pick and why?

Suppose the child could never learn to communicate and the chimp could communicate a limited vocabulary.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
need more info

like is we stranded me an dis monkey?

If so monkey, cause he could entertain me and do crap.

But if there is plentiful humans and what not... I suppose the child but I don't wanna have to be responsible for it so there needs to be others for me to pawn the kids off on pon full recovery.

BUT

Post-Apocalyptic world?

Wheres my monkey?

edit on 12-8-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Would you please explain what this has to do with materialism?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
The question, at least in my mind, has been answered.

Tersely.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The child, hands down

link   
reply to post by 547000

To say a chimp could have a limited vocabulary is not even possible. So thats a no brainer for me. But even if a chimp could speak a few words it is still a chimp and a child is a human being, created by God. Do you have kids? If they were retarded would you have to think about choosing a chimp over them?

link   
Why is this a moral dilemma only for materialists? Why not a dualist as well?
anyways, imo it's a pretty easy choice...you gotta go with your own species.

link   
I'd take the chimp, plain and simple. I can help the chimp, I can't help the retarded child, no offence to anyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by 547000

To say a chimp could have a limited vocabulary is not even possible. So thats a no brainer for me. But even if a chimp could speak a few words it is still a chimp and a child is a human being, created by God. Do you have kids? If they were retarded would you have to think about choosing a chimp over them?
If I did have a child and that child could not be saved, I would take the chimp regardless but that is just me, I am an animal lover who cannot have pets(it sucks big time) and I hate little kids.

But still, you can train an autistic child but the retard one will be a hindrance in the future. And if in an apocalyptic station. The monkey can do menial labour and carry things.
Problem solved

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Monkeys can be a great help in an economic crisis and in a consumeristism gone mad kind of a world, just ask china
This video was the CATaLYSt for great moral reforms around the globe.

edit on 12-8-2011 by The Utopian Penguin because: like i would tell you

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
the child would live longer, creating more possibilities over time.... but then again who knows?

i'd hate to say this, but I have to admit I'd have to struggle with a judgment call.

I mean, I wouldn't want to put up with a poo throwing monkey... no way.

I also wouldn't want to put up with a little damien punk who was constantly trying to kill me if that just happened to be the case.

it is really hard to say... who thinks of these questions?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaosMagician
the child would live longer, creating more possibilities over time.... but then again who knows?

i'd hate to say this, but I have to admit I'd have to struggle with a judgment call.

I also wouldn't want to put up with a little damien punk who was constantly trying to kill me if that just happened to be the case.

The monkey is highly intelligent, forget the child. What can the retarded child do for you ?
No better then having a monkey. The only difference is that the kid lives longer.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Explanation: S&F!

I'd ignore the retarded child and let nature take its course [its not my child] and I would leave the intelligent ape to its own devices!

Personal Disclosure: I'd wait and see what happens!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Originally posted by ChaosMagician

The monkey is highly intelligent, forget the child. What can the retarded child do for you ?
No better then having a monkey.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

you never know... that's why it's such a hard call to make. I would still have to base it on my personal experience with the situation, which a hypothetical question cannot allow me to have... only imagine an infinite number of ways.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
He might eat a lot of twinkies and be able to stop up a much bigger hole than the monkey... what the hell do I know?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
When presented with two desired outcomes I look for a way to achieve both.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
and if the monkey is that damn smart he'll help me try to save them both.
edit on 12-8-2011 by ChaosMagician because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This is a retarded version Schrodinger's Cat. The best answer is to walk away very, very quickly and forget this ever happened. Proceeding in 3, 2, 1...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

Was thinking same. Save the monkey then teach the monkey to look after the kid. Problem solved by love of animals and having a belief in their ability for altruistic acts as they can put up with, and take care of a selfish retarded human.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

All aboard the fail boat!

OP, you obviously do not understand the term "retarded" but aside from that

A "retard" will always have higher brain function and human traits than an "intelligent chimp", if this wasn't so the child would probably be more of a vegetable...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join