It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should National Service Be Re-introduced In Britain?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I dont agree that National Service should be re-introduced. A conscript armed forces lessens the professionalism of the said armed forces. Not all of the rioters were yobbos either, some had decent jobs/careers or were in university.

I do agree however, that there should be some form of 'citizenship' regime put into place. If you pass, you are then entitled to the benefits of the rest of society. If you fail, you carry on in the regime until you do become a citizen.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Originally posted by subject x
Good idea.
Do you really want, say, groups of now-well-trained chavs running amuck?
Imagine if the current looters were trained in fighting and tactics...

The point is 2 years in the army would teach them discipline and another way of life. It would also break up their social circle as well.

Then again, it might not...

Gang members with military training pose a unique threat to law enforcement personnel because of the distinctive military skills that they possess and their willingness to teach these skills to fellow gang members. While the number of gang members trained by the military is unknown, the threat that they pose to law enforcement is potentially significant, particularly if gang members trained in weapons, tactics, and planning pass this instruction on to other gang members.
source
I see what you're saying, and having served myself, I agree that it would, indeed, turn many people onto a better path, discipline-wise. However, it's the others that you have to worry about. They just get more dangerous.

A crowd of rioters who all draw on the same training the army gets would be a serious problem, even if poorly armed.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'd rather DIE to be forced to say "yes sir" to some random ass who can't see the good things in life and chooses such a stupid career.
I'd rather DIE than follow orders just because there are orders. That's for MORONS.
I have a brain, and while my dad never hit me at all, I'm a pretty good guy that tries to influence positively on those around me and understand respect, solidarity, social responsability and so on, so F that Sh*t.
And no one will force me to cut my hair, maese!

We don't need DISCIPLINE you fools we need EDUCATION HEALTH FOOD and WORK.
It's not that hard guys....

edit on 12/8/2011 by drakus because: gramor

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Sometimes the lost need discipline in order to get the things you state?
Or else they can only get them by rioting?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired
reply to post by drakus

Sometimes the lost need discipline in order to get the things you state?
Or else they can only get them by rioting?

If someone commits a crime and its found guilty and the judge decides that the best way to rehabilitate that person is a few years of yessir, then well I might not like it but it's an understandable punishment.

Now, making this crap MANDATORY for ALL is a no-no for me.
I did not commit any crime so there's no way I'd accept that.
I'm a human being, not a tool, not a robot, not a pet.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

Well you went to school from say five to anywhere from sixteen to Nineteen?
Then you may have went on to University or got a job?
Why didn't you become a criminal instead?
We all have to play the game their are only two alternatives ( ignoring suicide)
1/ Be a freeloader..a bludger
2/ Be a criminal

Most choose neither of the above, trouble is due to unemployment and drug use the youth are practising either 1 or 2 or both.
They need to be given a third way.
National Service.
Or else anarchy and looting will become widespread, and Britain will become a Police state for real.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
it is bad enought that there is need for an army anywhere, never mind forcing kids into joining and very likely doing things which will alter there state of mind forever. Innocense is a rare and underestimated value.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by igotttaknow

The average sixten year old western youth has via Hollywood ect seen thousands of simulated violent sadistic murders being played out on the screen in his/ her lounge room.
Innocence is being compromised every day by communist facist inspired TV and movies.
The kids today mimic pathetically what they see and hear.
Seriously could some of them rioters talk any more thickheaded/
They must watch lots of American TV shows and mindless Hollywood turgid zero creative movies.
No National Service would serve them well.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by igotttaknow
it is bad enought that there is need for an army anywhere, never mind forcing kids into joining and very likely doing things which will alter there state of mind forever. Innocense is a rare and underestimated value.

And how many of the rioters who stole, threw missiles, looted, commited assault and arson

would you estimate to have been innocent??

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Yes, anyone not going on to a job/further education should do national service, this doesn't just cover the army, there are lots of areas that the country could use help, think more along the lines of community service.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
yes national servise but for a peace corps or an army of builders and workers. Not more cannon fodder for the ilegal wars that our govt loves to wage.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminnaughty
yes national servise but for a peace corps or an army of builders and workers. Not more cannon fodder for the ilegal wars that our govt loves to wage.

THIS I would like, because it would be... uhhmmm.. WORK, and that is what is needed, work and education, not stupid yessir follow orders morons, WORK.
How hard it is?
This kind of crap happens when people have NOTHING TO LOSE, and NOTHING TO LIVE FOR.
Give them education and jobs, and you'll see no one will want to riot...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
National Service?
Absolutely not. Your responsibility is to educate and be educated, not indoctrinate and be indoctrinated. Your service should be to those less fortunate, not to a state that has shown favoritism to the fortunate.
And, no I am not picking on the Brits, we all have the blood of apathy on our hands.
This has all been planned. Try not to be a foolish tool for the state. The only real beneficiaries of this scam are those psychopathic landlords that are determined to have a two class society. Them the few, and you the many. Powerless and working for nothing...for them.
Don't buy it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join