It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should National Service Be Re-introduced In Britain?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Only if you wear a track suit.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

There are penal bootcamps in the US which have had great success in transforming delinquents lives.

So military school? Yes I am aware of these, I had a cousin that went to one. I thought that they were all very expensive, private schools though? I do know that it is a very good program at any rate though, I suppose this would actually be a great sollution if you could afford it, though I could be mistaken yet again.

Anyhow, you have some very good points sir

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I think National Service should be introduced for all young people who have been unemployed/receiving benefits for over 6 months. This would help reduce the unemployment rate and encourage some of these lazy little buggers who think the world owes them a living to get off their arses and find a job rather than be forced to do NS.

The ones who do NS would learn something about working as part of a team and come out of it with a greater amount of respect for themselves and others, and, hopefully become useful members of society instead of parasitic leeches for the rest of their lives.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheThirdAdam

Originally posted by EvanB

There are penal bootcamps in the US which have had great success in transforming delinquents lives.

So military school? Yes I am aware of these, I had a cousin that went to one. I thought that they were all very expensive, private schools though? I do know that it is a very good program at any rate though, I suppose this would actually be a great sollution if you could afford it, though I could be mistaken yet again.

Anyhow, you have some very good points sir

Thanks

They are not private military schools though but actual young offender prisons.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nolabel

If nothing else, it would cut government spending exponetially by consolidating unemployment cost and millitary personel pay... thats a win for the tax payer, the would be victim, and the punks who would commit such crimes by helping them be successful in life

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Duplicate post.

edit on 12-8-2011 by eyespying because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I believe people in the UK that don't work get benefits.

No national service. No benefits!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by TheThirdAdam

You make a good points in relation to profit/cost considerations, if their benefits were paying their training, which would cover food and accomodation , trainers wages ect....it would be cost effective.
As part of their service they could be employed painting and restoring old buidings in their neighbourhoods, which would give them a sense of belonging and pride later.
They could parade around in their army greens constantly which would reinforce their self esteem.
They could be promoted as Britains Finest Youth.
Which if they put their hearts into it , would be the truth.
Some may fail the test, but many would pass.
Wasted lives would be redeemed.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I remember a show called "Bad lads army". It was about taking petty criminals and giving them some Military discipline.

If I remember nearly all the lads came out better than when they went in

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Yes for a year

But there should be 2 options.

1) Military training (not necessarly active duty)
2) Community service for those not wanting to do the military for various reasons and the community gets something back.

Perhaps people would respect the communities more if they had to do option 2 for a year, even with that and no option 1. that would be a big benefit to the country's mental and social health which is where it is lacking and failing as we can see in the riots.

edit on 12-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill
no i do not think it would be a good idea ,

just think about it , we take thugs off the street and train them to be a fighting machine and to work in teams.

national service would not change the mind set of these people it would just make them more dangerous
i don,t have the answer but i don,t think it is national service .

Redemption perhaps is within the power of everyone regardless of race, creed, colour, brainwashing, life habits, upbringing ect.....sometimes kids can't see beyond their own limited experiences or habits.

Sometimes a life can be radically renewed for the better by simple introduction to new possibility.

These rioting youths, maybe they via National Service could remerge as stronger better Human Beings.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I'm not so sure about National Service, as teaching some of these thugs how to fight correctly, use weapons and how to maim an enemy may be counter productive.

I would however suggest something more like a community Service program adopting the same levels of discipline, drills etc but with more emphasis on community awareness and integration.

The youths could be deployed into national projects that help to build and rebuild communities. Help clean up the streets and promote social and racial integration.

Teach them be become responsible productive citizens not soldiers.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Send their parents too

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by studio500

No only the military can change spoilt or damaged brats into confident responsible men.
Of course the things a soldier has to do once in active duty in war , may regress them, but an untrained person wouldn't even last an hour.
Hopefully the youth would not have to kill or maim...but would simply be toughened and streamlined .

Basically in crude terms they are spolit punks, who need to be depunked.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Expired

No only the military can change spoilt or damaged brats into confident responsible men.
Of course the things a soldier has to do once in active duty in war , may regress them, but an untrained person wouldn't even last an hour.
Hopefully the youth would not have to kill or maim...but would simply be toughened and streamlined .

What a load of tosh

I read your post as yet another warmonger looking for cannon fodder but I bet a pound to a peanut you've not got the courage to stand in front and lead these people in battle .

Let's suppose though, that the current bunch of grubs in power decide to go down this road .. 2 years for all , you do mean ALL don't you , no exceptions at all is that correct ? . Assuming they are required to see active service what happens to those that survive and finish their sentence ? Do they actually have any chance at all of finding employment ? Will they be accepted into your society as redeemed souls or will still they be branded as "punks"

You see it's all well and good to promote this ill thought out scheme but I've yet to see any clear thought given to what happens after .

edit on 12-8-2011 by DevilsApprentice because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2011 by DevilsApprentice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DevilsApprentice

Argue the topic not the poster...or else forums just become name calling gutters.
You have insulted Dr Expired at least twice severely , but have contributed nothing of meaning to the thread.
Debate of an idea requires inteligence not belligerence.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   

reply to post by DevilsApprentice

Argue the topic not the poster...or else forums just become name calling gutters.
You have insulted Dr Expired at least twice severely , but have contributed nothing of meaning to the thread.
Debate of an idea requires inteligence not belligerence.

Read the post again and answer the questions , don't avoid the issues

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

With the recent shocking riots perpertated by mainly Multi -ethnic youths across British Cities, should the British Government bite the bullet, and reintroduce "National Service"?

Compulsory service in the Army and Navy would knock the disrespect and arrogance out of these foul mouthed psuedo hood young men and women.

They would learn discipline, an dcould be made to work rebuilding Britains riot scarred cities.

They would learn how to channel their riotous energy for good ,not the destruction of their own neighbourhoods businesses and heritage buidings.

They would be physically punished for stepping out of line at boot camp and during their three year service.

It would take the aimless gutter thinking and acting youth of the streets,and add valuable numbers to Britains flagging armed forces.

Years ago they did it, so why not now?

This would transform riotous thieving yobs into purposeful self respecting youth.

I believe this would be a very popular decision.

So we can send them off to become worse than animals - merceneries who carry out mass murder for the Corporatocracy??????

Your suggestion is totally and completely irresponsible.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

How about we make it compulsory for our politicians, bankers and corporate leaders to enlist in the military and go on the front line? They are the ones who enjoy the collossal profits from the wars, they are the ones who line their pockets from the deaths of innocent people, they are the greatest criminals on the planet, so let them go and do their own killing.

Oh no, that's what your youth are for - to ruin their lives by becoming mindless killers for these murderous, psychopathic crimiinals which some idiots still look up to as our 'leaders'......endorsed by the likes of you.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

How about we make it compulsory for our politicians, bankers and corporate leaders to enlist in the military and go on the front line? They are the ones who enjoy the collossal profits from the wars, they are the ones who line their pockets from the deaths of innocent people, they are the greatest criminals on the planet, so let them go and do their own killing.

Oh no, that's what your youth are for - to ruin their lives by becoming mindless killers for these murderous, psychopathic crimiinals which some idiots still look up to as our 'leaders'......endorsed by the likes of you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join