It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the single most important issue in the history of the world

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

A CME is not an EMP. No Faraday cages needed.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Since Fukushima, this is something I have thought about a lot. It occurred to me that if some kind of catastrophe occurred on this planet and most of us were wiped out, those of us who survived wouldn't be long for this world. This planet would be sterilised of life from all the reactors that would go into full meltdown.

WE need to take Germany's lead and get ourselves off nuclear power. It's just not worth the risk. There is no reason why we can't have wind farms and solar farms and hydro power to replace nuclear power. If there really is free energy technology, now would be the time to introduce it. By staying on nuclear power, we are only ensuring our own demise.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don't think anything awful like this is about to happen, but I do think we're getting very near the end of what I think is a fake reality. I'm glad for it. For all we know many who have died woke up in the 'real world' if you know what I mean. So if we all are getting blown up by nuclear plants I hate this reality anyway and I say it's a good thing. I believe we'd wake up somewhere better.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

Threads with titles like this need to be removed. I agree it's a problem but it's by far not the most single important issue in the world. Please, if you're after stars and flags, find an alternate way to earn them.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Still Naive? because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Scaremongering? I don't think so. This is what I discovered within 2 minutes on Google:

it is clear that a repeat of the Carrington event could produce a catastrophe the likes of which the world has never seen. "It's just the opposite of how we usually think of natural disasters," says John Kappenman, a power industry analyst with the Metatech Corporation of Goleta, California, and an advisor to the NAS committee that produced the report. "Usually the less developed regions of the world are most vulnerable, not the highly sophisticated technological regions." According to the NAS report, a severe space weather event in the US could induce ground currents that would knock out 300 key transformers within about 90 seconds, cutting off the power for more than 130 million people (see map). From that moment, the clock is ticking for America.

chasblogspot.blogspot.com...
edit on 12-8-2011 by jimbo999 because: original link didn't work

PS: the relative article begins about 1/4 way down the page...
edit on 12-8-2011 by jimbo999 because: added a PS

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The cooling circulation pumps need to work for about a week once the rods are retracted. Once the rods are cooled down they will go to cold if the rods are retracted so there are not enough neutrons to induce fission.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Would the nuclear plant keep producing electricity and run itself? And also they are likely to have something that shuts them down in the case of power failure?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
NASA has also warned of us eventually getting hit by an asteroid or comet so wouldn't that be even a more serious issue. They stated it could happen at anytime.

If we get hit by a asteroid NPP'S would be the least of our problems

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I agree it is very very worrying to say the least,

Look what happened in Japan, that was bad enough, imagine 100 or more reactors world wide gone into meltdown, that Is a ELE or at least a planet changing event

I don't think we should shut them all down in this current climate but begin preparation to pull away from such technology fast, if anything threatening to mankind would to happen this type of event would seal the deal and make sure the earth was a Mars look alike

With major CMEs expected in 2012 i'm really starting to wonder if people are looing in the wrong direction for "THE END TIMES" if the earth was to suffer a direct hit by a very very large CME which we have done in the past, it would knock out everything, imagine every reactor world wide on the scale of Japan

Yeah we would be a gonner, they really do want to be re looking at there plants and double checking they can sustain such things otherwise were all as good as deadmen walking,

Not trying to fear monger but this need to be addressed

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

The answer is simple.It's called back up gas generators.

Get a generator,some gas and be ready.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
yep just one of many things that should be concerning us all.. unfortunatly short of gathering a small army of renegades and raiding/disabling the plants by force, there is not be much we can do at this point in time.

edit on 12-8-2011 by GuyPI because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by volafox
Believe it or not, I think they have this situation under control, folks.

The earthquake in Japan taught us quite a bit about unexpected stuff hitting the fan from left field, and I know that they've had an eye to the sun's activity cycle for a while now.

There are redundant systems in place to safeguard the rods, the cooling system, and the back up generators that will be used in case of emergency.

I won't go as far as to say its all okay, but I will say that this isn't the top of my worry list.

Greetings:

Believe it or not, I think they have this situation under control, folks.

...or not!

We most certainly do not believe it.

Perhaps this may interest you also:

Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

The earthquake in Japan taught us quite a bit about unexpected stuff hitting the fan from left field...

You say 'earthquake' to describe the ongoing nightmare that is the FukUshima Daiiachi nuclear disaster.

Perhaps this may interest you also:

Japan declares 'nuclear emergency' after quake

Please share with us just exactly what was taught about 'unexpected stuff' - and the implication that someone actually learned something - who might that be?

I know that they've had an eye to the sun's activity cycle for a while now.

You know?

Try this for some interesting reading:

Dodged a Solar Bullet

How?

Links?

Who is they?

How long is 'for a while now?'

Maybe there is a clue in here which was offered a few months ago:

The Domino Effect of February 2011 - I Had a Dream About America's Future

There are redundant systems in place to safeguard the rods, the cooling system, and the back up generators that will be used in case of emergency.

Really?

Perhaps you would be so kind as to share any information on these 'redundant systems' and especially the sources and links regarding the redundant systems for the back-up generators.

Will America's Nuclear Power Plants Fail in an 8.0 Earthquake?

We have broached this subject many times in many forums - but no takers - even Phage has managed to side-step us for months on this pesky question:

What happens to the 104 nuclear power plants and the nuclear research facilities when the lights go out for months, perhaps years?

Who is responsible for this precarious maintenance task when TSHTF and those same people will want to be with their families - not preventing a nuclear calamity - if that is even possible.

In the best of times, these monsters are unreliable and require precise working conditions and professional babysitting or there is a potential for serious problems.

I won't go as far as to say its all okay...

Good, because it is most certainly not 'all okay.'

America's Being Nuked - Can we Together Stop the Madness?

Read on, please...

22 June 2011
Newspaper Reports Massive Fukushima Nuclear Radiation Testing Blackout In Canada

Following recent reports of radiation saturation doubling, private companies, government agencies and universities in Canada are refusing to get involved in Fukushima nuclear radiation fallout testing at any level.

The Canadian newspaper The Beacon is reporting that following recent media reports that radiation saturation has doubled local farms attempted to get their soil tested for nuclear fallout to be sure that the food that they are selling is safe.

Much to the surprise of the newspaper and the farmers private testing companies, government agencies and universities all refuse to test the soil or get involved on any level.

The newspaper points out that the refusal is particularly shocking following reports that [color=limegreen]Japan has admitted to covering up the amount of radiation released from the Fukushima nuclear power plant, now admitting to 100% nuclear meltdown in 3 nuclear reactors and a radiation release comparable to Chernobyl levels.

The Beacon says [color=limegreen]while no government radiation tests have been conducted, the Canadian health department insists that everything is fine and is there is no cause for concern.

Why does this sound familiar?

Health Canada Says, "No Worries."
Farmers in Central Newfoundland who were open to having their land tested for radiation contamination, will not have this work done by government agencies and private companies in Newfoundland and Labrador.
(...)
In the June 2 edition of The Beacon, it was discussed how the release of radiation from the Fukushima plant in Japan could potentially be poisoning Canadian soil, and possibly central Newfoundland. [color=limegreen]Evidence from various radiation monitors and news reports have shown that it has become a worldwide issue, and given that the airspace is shared, Canada and the U.S. have been directly affected as well.

Even though local farmers have not tested their soil and water, Nita Abbott of LA Farms, near Gambo, expressed an interest in having her land tested to ensure they’re selling a safe product.

The newspaper contacted private testing companies, government agencies, and universities to inquire if they would consider testing local farms. [color=limegreen]All of them said they were not interested in getting involved at any level.

Health Canada also reported that everything is normal.

Even though no official testing has been done in central Newfoundland, Ms. Abbott speculated, “I guess they feel they don’t have evidence to take it further.”

Worldwide concern

Even though central Newfoundland is considered safe, reports by numerous media establishments have shown that radiation saturation has doubled recently. According to a CNN report, Arnie Gundersen, Chief Nuclear Engineer, said hot particles are showing up in North America.
(...)
Nuclear engineers have also been finding hot particles or fuel fleas, which can cause cancer, around the world.

In Tokyo in April, measurements indicated that there are about [color=limegreen]10 hot particles a day, which is a high level of concern in what a normal person would breathe.

In Seattle, for instance, it went down to about five hot particles a day, which can lodge into lung tissue, the digestive tract or bone, and over time can cause cancer.
(...)
Media reports south of the border suggest that Japan was downplaying the severity long after people were being affected.

To this, Health Canada is insisting there is [color=limegreen]no cause for concern.

In Seattle, for instance, it went down to about five hot particles a day, which can lodge into lung tissue, the digestive tract or bone, and over time can cause cancer.

This cannot bode well for living creatures on Planet Earth, including the Pacific Northwest and Canada. We used to live near 15th & Pike in downtown Seattle, and the very thought of dying the slow death of radiation poisoning in such a beautiful city is reprehensible... well, actually, any place seems reprehensible at this time...

Hot particles have made their way across the Pacific, and at least the data for the Pacific NW indicates very high concentrations, the average person in Tokyo breathed about 10 hot particles a day, and the average person in Seattle breathed in 6.
source

Hot particles present significant health hazard when ingested or entered the body by other means.

They are several orders of magnitude more dangerous than the same amount of radiation emitted from a large source over the whole body because if ingested or inhaled, they do damage to cells at close proximity.
Wiki

WTF?

Does this imply that everyone in the affected area (entire West Coast of America) is already radiated "beyond repair?"

Somehow, this information seems appropriate here.

At certain stages of evolution, cosmic "humanities" discover new forms of science beyond the apparent control of matter. Structured dematerialization and materialization are part of them.

This is what your humanity has reached in a few laboratories, in close collaboration with other extra-terrestrial creatures at the cost of hazardous compromises that remain purposely hidden from you by some of your representatives.
Peace does not mean not making war, it consists in becoming what you are in reality: a same Fraternity.
We reached the conclusion that freedom is built every day as a being becomes aware of himself and of his environment, getting progressively rid of constraints and inertias, whatever they may be.

Despite the numerous, brave and willing human consciences, those inertias are artificially maintained for the profit of a growing centralizing power.

Until recently, mankind lived a satisfying control of its decisions.

But it is losing more and more the control of its own fate because of the growing use of advanced technologies, which lethal consequences on the earthly and human ecosystems become irreversible.

You are slowly but surely losing your extraordinary capacity to make life desirable. Your resilience will artificially decrease, independently of your own will. Such technologies exist that affect your body as well as your mind.
source

We are of the opinion that this radiation poisoning of our Fragile Planet must be addressed (and solved) by others than the inept cretins who are failing at this point.

How can we assist this this to occur? Who will listen and take heed?

For infants it’s a terrible valley of death we have created for them. As we shall see for years all of them have been born with already polluted bloodstreams and [color=limegreen]now the very young ones are dying in greater numbers on the west coast of the United States since Fukushima blew up.

After the first week, officials had enough information to call for evacuation of a wide area in Japan and also Hawaii, Alaska and the entire West Coast of North America. They really should have evacuated all of northern Japan and also the West Coast but that was almost as impossible as evacuating the entire planet or the entire Northern Hemisphere.

Evacuation of Planet Earth might be the best way for humanity to avoid the terrible nuclear, heavy metal and chemical toxicity we are now facing all at the same time.
source

Avoiding exposure is always the best plan but [color=limegreen]there is no way to avoid breathing in air contaminated with tiny hot particles.

Inhalation issues are much more frightening than ingestion issues because you can pick and choose what you eat and drink but you can’t buy bottled air.

Nuclear Toxicity Syndrome is about how to survive in nuclear and chemical hell.

But one cannot do what is necessary to survive hell if a person doesn’t know they are living in one.

We feel that perhaps the time is now for concerned citizens to demand accountability from their respective governments.

Obviously, Health Canada and the US/EPA do not have the best interests of their citizens at heart. Is it the same in other countries? In your country?

The question is why?

Are not these agencies made up of caring, feeling, breathing individuals who share the same fate as we, the people?

Or, have they been deceived into believing that they will be a part of the "saved" ones and the radiation will not deform or kill them, their children, their children's children, etc?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.

22 June 2011
CNN: "They lied to us:" Fukushima Radiation Release Comparable To Chernobyl,
100% Meltdown In 3 Reactors

Michio Kaku: In the last two weeks, everything we knew about that accident has been turned upside down.

We were told three partial melt downs, [color=limegreen]... don’t worry about it.

Now we know it was 100 percent core melt in all three reactors.

[color=limegreen](We were told) that minimal radiation was released.

Now we know it was comparable to radiation at Chernobyl.

And as far as evacuation, (we were told), 12 miles and that is it. [color=limegreen]
You don’t have to evacuate more than 12 miles.

Now they find hotspots, 4 hot spots, outside the evacuation zone.

34,000 school children now have radiation badges when they go to school...

Finally, some coverage in the MSM... such as it is, but a lot of peeps watch CNN.

The real question here is what will it take for the peeps to finally "get it" and do something?

Fukushima ‘still a ticking time bomb’
(...)
CNN: As a reported within hours of the earthquake and Tsunami, with hours not even a day, there were already statements from the company (TEPCO) and International Atomic Energy Association (IAEA) saying there had been safe shut down of all reactors and we know now of course in the end that simply wasn’t true.

[color=limegreen]But from the very beginning they were trying to tell us that this was a safe situation.

Kaku: Within hours of the accident we now know it was like the Keystone Cops.

People that are clueless, headless, just running around crazy, not knowing what to do.

We can now reconstruct that accident minute-by-minute, hour-by-hour and we can see this chaos that erupted in the leadership ability.

CNN: What is happening to the people that are working there now?

Kaku: Well, as you know, [color=limegreen]workers are getting sent in and they are getting a year's worth of radiation within just 10 minutes at a time.

At Chernobyl, 600,000 workers had to be mobilized. Each one going in for just a few minutes and each one getting a medal from Gorbachev.

CNN: This will be a Hundred Year Cleanup?

How long with this take to cleanup in your view?

Kaku: 50 to 100 years.

CNN: And we are not there yet.

[color=limegreen]We are not even to the point of talking about the cleanup yet because they haven’t stopped the reaction.

It is still happening.

Kaku: Clean up hasn’t even started yet.

They are not even looking at getting to cold shutdown until next year.

Cold shutdown is when boiling stops. There is boiling water right there at the reactor releasing radiation into the environment and [color=limegreen]releasing radiation into gigantic vats.

CNN: How are they storing and disposing of this stuff?

Kaku: That is the killer (pun intended?) because we have all of these vats that are filling up now and [color=limegreen]they may have to dump it into the ocean again.

At that point the Chinese, the Koreans, the fisherman they get up all in arms because there is so much damage (to the reactor cores) that every time you put water (into the reactors to cool the fuel rods that are melting down) it just leaks right out again, highly radioactive, and it is filling up at the site right now.

CNN: So what do they do with it?

Kaku: Right now, they are just counting the gallons as they pile up desperately trying to bring more vats in but [color=limegreen]once they saturate they are going to have to dump and at that point it is another crisis.

Tepcospeak !

If one is truly interested in this particular part of this disaster, we have written about the thousands of tons and millions gallons of water being injected/sprayed/dropped - and thousands of tons and millions of gallons lost (?) misplaced (?) leaked out ?) - take your pick or add one of your own theories, as the numbers simply do not add up.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

CNN: Lets talk about the radiation in the environment, in the atmosphere.

We have been told that it would be [color=limegreen]measurable but a miniscule amount on the US West Coast
and around the world?

Is that true?

Kaku: It is still minimal around the world (based on what we are being told from government reported radiation readings). Most of the damage is concentrated within 20 to 50 miles of the reactor. That is where we have the hotspots, that is where we have 20 times normal amounts of (annual adult) radiation (limits) in school yards outside of the evacuation zone.

Kaku: But in New York City, (based off government released radiation measurements) you can actually see it in the milk. You can actually see it has iodine, 131, actually spiked a little bit in our milk in New York City, but it is very small.

CNN: Just even hearing that, though, even hearing that you can detect it, that there’s a catastrophe, the worst industrial catastrophe in history, we can see it in milk in New York, that’s frightening.

Kaku: That’s right. This could be the grand daddy of all industrial accidents topping Chernobyl at $200 billion, topping the Gulf Oil Spill at $15 billion, topping the Columbia and Challenger disasters out in space at about $10 billion.

[color=limegreen]This could be the world record holder for an industrial accident.

Kaku: Realize Chernobyl was one core’s worth radiation causing a $200 billion accident and it is still on going.

Here we have 20 cores worth of radiation.

Three totally melted, one damaged and the (rest in) spent fuel pools, 20 cores worth of highly radioactive materials.

Leave us not be too hasty with accolades, and leave us not be fooled; it is not as if CNN or any other corporate media outlet is doing any real journalism here... where are Anderson Cooper or Gupta now?

In Africa - where it is comparatively safe. Gupta was in Japan early on and skedaddled when he figured out the real deal... just saying.

Throughout this disaster, all the media has done is echo statements from US (EPA/FDA), JAPGOV officials and TEPCO, neglecting to do any real investigative journalism and reporting stories that were so blatantly false and non-nonsensical because it was the "official story coming from the Government."

The MSM has lied to we, the people, and will continue to do so.

Now, one might ask, what are we, the people, going to do about it?

For those of us who think we are somewhat alone in our feelings on this nuclear insanity issue that has the future of humanity (as we now experience it) at stake, we offer this assessment from a poster on CNN.com Blogs.

GoneToPlaid

"Ticking time bomb" is correct.

If the melted cores do fully breach their containment vessels by literally burning their way through the bottoms of the containment vessels, then you can instantly have a situation where tons of molten core material hits the huge volume of water pooled in the bottoms of the reactor buildings.

The resulting explosion would obliterate what is left of the buildings and blow off the tops of the primary containment. It may be only a matter of time before this actually happens, and this is the reason why Kaku recommends the Chernobyl option of burying the cores with tons of boron, sand and concrete.

No, the reactors did not shut down immediately after the control rods were inserted. Inserting the control rods merely begins the weeks long process of eventually achieving cold shutdown. You need to do some research about nuclear reactors.

It is factually correct that the nuclear reactions have NOT been stopped. This is why far more radiation than was "expected" is showing up in the water filtration system which keeps breaking down.

In fact, it may be impossible to completely stop the nuclear reactions now that the cores have fully melted down into giant masses of molten slag since it is now impossible to moderate the nuclear reactions occurring at the center of the giant masses of molten core material.

And here is another view:

Swarming Bee Theory

I give Mr. Kaku a lot of credit for making a continued effort to speak openly about the situation in Fukushima.

What does it take to see, really. What does it take?

I cannot believe there are people on here who expect to be taken as representing a real viewpoint and are still, in the face of THREE core meltdowns, containment pools blown into the upper atmosphere, etc, persisting with the fallacy that because no one DIED this month everything will be ok.

It is nothing short of insanity to persist with this debate over the merits of nuclear fission used in applications like this.

Nuclear fission as practiced today is an antiquated technology, dangerous beyond measure, as in LITERALLY beyond measure. Some of the components of radioactive waste have a half life of 200,000 years, some 700,000 years, some more that that. Far longer than any administration in the history of our good country, that's how long.

It is remarkable to me that the rabid right wing tea partiers etc are always whining about the country swinging left.
The truth is it is money and power.

If we turn our attanetion of it; smoodfedswskjjwejjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjl wjk

A pound of plutonium could kill every human being on the planet.

And yet we continue to allow ourselves to be drawn into arguments with self-serving profiteers, people and corporations with no fealty to the US or to life in general, but rather to profit at any cost.

This highly organized miliitant faction of the US government in concert with the multi national energy cartel is working hard to have us believe this is actually a rational and reasonable alternative to aggressively reducing our current demand (like in Las Vegas counties for ex) combined with a solid commitment to alternative energy development.

It's nuts.

There really is no good reason to continue.

All plants should be immediately shut down and decommissioned.

The nuke plants shouid be scrapped.

Immediately.

How about it, "Nuke Team ATS?"

Obviously, TEPCO hasn't stopped the reaction(s), as continuously rising levels of I-131 indicate that there are uncontrolled nuclear reactions going in the melted cores and/or elsewhere.

Which may lead one to this question:

Considering that the boron additive utilized to moderate the fission process has a lifespan directly corresponding to the proximity to the radioactive material and the amount of materials being released, where are we on that timetable?

Specifically, has the boron reached the end of its lifespan and does the remaining "dead boron" accumulate and further hinder additional boron injections?

And an interesting comment from this poster regarding censorship on another forum:

Fukushima 'still a ticking time bomb' – In the Arena - CNN.com Blogs
majia nadesan

Hi Michael I'm glad you responded to my comment because it provides proof my comment was posted before being taken down by some sort of censor.

I'm reposting. Let us see how long it is up this time.

First of all, it is not at all clear that workers at Fukushima have not died. Read the article: Contract workers registered with TEPCO have mysteriously disappeared from the contractor’s employment records. Mainichi: "Whereabouts of 30 nuclear power plant subcontractors unknown: Health Ministry"
mdn.mainichi.jp...

Good catch!

We actually thought something was up along those lines and received some interesting comments here:

Second, there is considerable evidence of ongoing fission at the Fukushima plant reactors given the ongoing production of Iodine-131, which has a 8 day half life.

See Gunderson’s Fairewinds updates www.fairewinds.com... and Washington’s blog for an essay with citations on ongoing criticality georgewashington2.blogspot.com...

Third, spent-fuel pool #4 is an ongoing cataclysmic disaster. Building #4 was damaged by #3’s explosion and the spent fuel pool in #4’s attic was reported by the NYT to be cracked.

This pool is full of rods and is leaking water and was recently found to be 2/3 empty, meaning there was a high likelihood that the fuel rods were exposed.
www3.nhk.or.jp...

Fourth, de-contamination of the radioactive water has not gone well and has had to be stopped over and over because of various problems
www3.nhk.or.jp...www3.nhk.or.jp...

Fifth, radiation releases continue to be very large
sankei.jp.msn.com...

“Estimates of the radioactive materials emitted double doors opening to the Fukushima No. 2 unit building 1.8 billion becquerels”

DISREGARD INDUSTRY TROLLS AND DEMAND TRUTH, TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY

Well said.

We can only add to that, this:

Deny Ignorance.

In Peace, Love & Light

tfw

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
In the nuclear plant I worked in for more than 30 years, the most sensitive area I know of is the control room and the associated computers which monitor and control all the systems regardless of whether the power comes from off site or on.

It's not the deisel generators or the Rolls Royce jet engines which are the primary concern in a nuclear station or even the grid itself. It's miles of cable, switches, circuit boards, microchips and mainframes.

How a nasty solar flare might affect that, I have no idea, but it does give me pause.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker46

You must have missed the part in my post about the possibility of man made catastrophe. If someone like Iran, with the technology to make a "dirty bomb" but not a true nuke wanted to attack us on the largest scale possible, a dirty bomb detonated in the atmosphere within the range of several nuclear power plants would cause an EMP that would disable all of the power plants and backup generators that are not shielded against such a possibility. Besides that, if you think that a CME wouldn't damage power plants (whether conventional or sustainable) you are sorely mistaken.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Would personally say that the single most important issue is : do we choose to step outside our conditioned version of reality? Outside the little boxes we've made for ourselves, and decide to move on, or do we allow a corrupt minority to decide our fates for us? Because there's a thousand more problems after nuclear weapons and power plants if we allow that minority to dictate our futures.

We need to prove to the 'elite' that any power should be distributed among equals instead of imbalanced between 'classes' of humans. And we need to prove that we're capable of using that power responsibly, which we should be able to do over time if we all have an equal say in how things should progress.

We're equal and should all have an equal say in our futures, but that's clearly not currently the case.

Nuclear problems will only ever be the tip of the iceberg if we don't sort this out.
edit on 12-8-2011 by robhines because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm sure this doesn't apply to all nuclear reactors but, most have backup generators on site in the case of a catastrophic electric failure... these backup generators could be kicked on to ensure the plants are shut down safely if they loose all power.

If a CME hits earth it would only affect those circuits that were currently operating... not those that were shut off so the back up generators should still be operational. Those plants that do not have such fail-safe measures should implement them to avoid the scenario described by the OP.

I agree that nuclear power should be phased out and cold fusion should be given the research and development attention it deserves.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ragsntatters

That's a good question. I do know that hydro power plants have a grounding system because of fluctuating demand vs. constant generation. I suspect that all generating plants face the same problem and would not be surprised if they are designed the same way. Maybe someone with an electrical engineering background could tell us.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stAtrill

As a Tower Climber/RF Technician I think it is you who are mis informed about the power of Electricity and Magnetic Storms. Electricity from Lightning has the capability of knocking out entire towns it could much give a damn about what you have put in place to stop it or where it is striking. All it takes is a one with enough power and thats all she wrote fella.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
With reactors, you just do the simple thing : keep every reactor at a safe distance from eachother and with multiple backups. So 4-5 reactors are on a big plot of land about a mile squared at least. Then you never again have to deal with the "I can't get to that reactor because the other one is melting down and giving off too much radiation" problem.

We need to respect the fact that if there's a meltdown scenario possible at any reactor we have to be able to get to it without any others causing problems nearby. i.e. they should never be too close to eachother. The minute distance between the ones at Fukushima (and probably loads of others all around the world.) is a joke and shouldn't be allowed.
edit on 12-8-2011 by robhines because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

NASA has also warned of us eventually getting hit by an asteroid or comet so wouldn't that be even a more serious issue. They stated it could happen at anytime.

I love the feeling of hopelessness and futility that invoked in me when I read this post. The chances of abolishing nuclear power are exactly equivalent to preventing an asteroid/comet strike. Given our geopolitical situation, no nation would risk losing the political power that nuclear power provides. For instance - If the US abolished every nuclear reactor it owned the US navy would be eviscerated. Sure, there are alternatives. Finding an energy source comparable to nuclear power but without the waste is going to be difficult. Making the transition from nuclear energy to an alternative would likely be even more difficult.

In short, it is good to know of yet another inevitable doomsday that I can add to the list.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join