It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the single most important issue in the history of the world

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
i'm scared to death about all the radiation coming from japan and now i found this and it just down the road from me in ohio.graphics.thomsonreuters.com... this is so messed up!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the one issue that should take priority in the news, websites, forums, etc. These plants need to SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY or as soon as technically possible.

If nature didn't create it, then we don't need it.
This goes for ALL power plants, automobiles and all modern weaponry and conveniences.

Largely through the "marvels" of modern technology the human race has expanded exponentially.

Well here we are... all 7 billion of us... slaves to money, slaves to electricity, slaves to class warfare - and slaves to the idea that we need any of it.... killing ourselves to live, every step of the way.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i was always proud of our nuclear free status down here in nz.. reading the OP i wonder if it would really make much difference at all, should such a catastrophe occur..

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Ok! Now here is something to agree with and it is a tangible thread.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by maryjo44
reply to post by BrianC

pic.'s...

Op this is a scary thought...I am thinking about what you have said, and it makes sense. What is the Government doing about this problem? Do they even realize that it is a problem?

This is actually something I have taken into consideration,and yes it is a scary thought.But to answer your question about the governments knowing about this,and whether or not they are doing anything to prevent such a catstrophe and it's prevention.Here is a link to the electric infrastructure security summit.Good info.
Source
Here is another link to the smart grid summit held this year.
Northeastern United States and the United Kingdom together to present their products, ... companies invited to make presentations, 6 from the UK and 6 from the USA. ... Smart Grid Summit being held on the 17th – 19th of June. ...
Source

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Exactly, but look at all the ignorant replies already...that's what we're really up against.

If I want an answer I talk to one of my buddies who has a PhD in nuclear Physics not get it of ATS.

So the Sun MIGHT go super nova next Tuesday. ...

Might ifs maybes, yeah OK BUT IF you shut down ALL nuclear power plants I will GUARANTEE you are going to KILL people because nuclear power is the cheapest method we have to make power if the Liberals don't try to gum up the works.

Cold kills 'thousands' in a week

More than 2,500 people in England and Wales are likely to have died in the past week as a direct result of cold weather, health forecasters say..... news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

I am not sure if this has been thrown into the equation but how about all the petroleum and chemicals
that are stored all over the earth and all the damage to ground water it will cause if it all spills out?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Well I agree with the op, so what do I do now to prevent this ?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Severe drought can reduce coolong water and they have been ready to shut down a couple of reactors already . What happens if one of these lakes dries up or as happened the bottom falls out and it drains with a Nuke on it's banks . An EMP could do the same thing and Iran wants to hit us with one .

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'll tell you why no one will do anything about it.

..the alternative! No one wants to see more dams, more coal used, more geothermal used....

The problem is nearly the same with those who complain about pollution and oil and yet drive cars like the rest of us. They can't and wont do without it. The want a solution but don't wnat to be inconvenienced themselves.

But if you truley believe nuclear power is the single most important issue in the world, then you've lost your soul somewhere.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well now...

When the inevitable nuclear holocaust hits, I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm going to be sittin' pretty in my newly reserved suite at the local Vault-Tec facility!

You'll have to excuse me now, my pip-boy is showing an increase in RADS.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Didn't NASA and others recently reverse their position and suggest that we're actually entering a period of unusually low solar activity for an extended period, like that associated with the last "little" ice age? Another Maunder minimum?

news.nationalgeographic.com...

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianC

Go back to school....kid

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Yeah and the elite have a little nice bunker at Denver airport which they would be safe, but if that happened the planet wouldnt be habitable for many many years probably over 100 if not more

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Great Post, TS. This is a huge issue that has been on the back of my mind for a long time. The vast number of reactors and such has disaster written all over it. Hopefully the gun loaded next to our head isn't one that will go off in the near future.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianC
pics or it didn't happen

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

Lol that is kinda like me saying the sun will rise tomorrow, pics or it didn't/wont happen?

Deebo
edit on 12-8-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Nuclear power plants should be equipt with Solar panels and, or Wind turbines, Idk why they aren't, and when we can harness the sun there is no need for nuclear really,

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If I might add one more note to this thread. I don't believe any sane person is suggesting that 650 Nuclear reactor sites world wide be shut down forever. The grid in every major nation would buckle and break without the nuke plants by how dependent we've become on them as a % of power production. However, to ignore such a catastrophic scenario that isn't just likely, but absolutely certain on a timeline running far enough is insane. As noted, NASA acknowledges (as does the Euro Agency) that this Solar Cycle will be a very active one and may produce very large X- class events directed into Earth. This will peak in Dec. of 2012 into about March of 2013 from what I've read.

How hard a solution? How expensive? All we ABSOLUTELY NEED to do...and this HAS to be done, without question just to be safe...is shutting them down long enough to establish, test and verify a FUNCTIONING (not on paper..not theoretical...not someone's certain belief it'll work) backup power system with fuel or whatever is needed to run JUST LONG enough for the core to be shut down in a controlled way and made stable.

That's it. No fancy shielding for the whole site or incredibly complex solutions for power. Just Generators or some other source that makes it possible to shut everything down if ANY disaster means outside power is down too long to handle. Confirm they work, confirm they are above flood grade at every plant and maybe the generator room can get electromagnetic shielding/caging. One room wouldn't be out of the question for an upgrade.

Rotate the shut downs..and shut each down for as short a time as possible..but this back up solution to every single site has to be verified and tested as functional.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I guess most of you don't know nuclear power plant safety measures. Modern nuclear power plant can stop the reaction in seconds, even without electricity. They will drop control rods to reactor and all reactions will stop. And all modern power plants have some kind of generator that will help in shutdown.

But I agree that old nuclear plants should be closed, they are not safe. Not all nuclear plants are like Fukushima. Nuclear power is one of most safest energy source, there has been only 3 major accidents during their time, much less than any other energy source. All three accidents have happened to old style reactors.

Still waiting for fusion, which is 100% controllable reaction

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by colbyforce

Actually, everything you are agreeing with is nonsense.

Google neutron moderation, it is an integral design point in all fission reactors.

Nuclear fission is not a chemical reaction.

All western reactors are protected by reinforced structures specifically designed to withstand an impact from a jet aircraft..

I couldn't agree more about people ignorant of even basic facts trying to pass uniformed speculation as relevant contribution.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join