It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the single most important issue in the history of the world

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
IMO the biggest reason we need to start replacing every single nuclear power/weapons dev plant is because %0 of the planet is immune to the effects of nature or human failure. There will always be a way for nature to destroy anything we build, so why are we building things that can and will be eventually destroyed some way or another, not just making the local area inhabitable but effecting the rest of the globe. How many more nuclear accidents does it take for us to realize this? 1,3,5,10,20?

"One of the worst nuclear accidents to date was the Chernobyl disaster which occurred in 1986 in Ukraine. That accident killed 56 people directly, and caused an estimated 4,000 additional cases of fatalities related to cancer, as well as damaging approximately $7 billion of property.[14] Radioactive fallout from the accident was concentrated in areas of Belarus, Ukraine and Russia. Approximately 350,000 people were forcibly resettled away from these areas soon after the accident.[14]"-wiki

"Benjamin K. Sovacool has reported that worldwide there have been 99 accidents at nuclear power plants from 1952 to 2009 (defined as incidents that either resulted in the loss of human life or more than US$50,000 of property damage, the amount the US federal government uses to define major energy accidents that must be reported), totaling US$20.5 billion in property damages.[4] Fifty-seven accidents have occurred since the Chernobyl disaster, and almost two-thirds (56 out of 99) of all nuclear-related accidents have occurred in the USA. There have been comparatively few fatalities associated with nuclear power plant accidents.[4]"-wiki

"Nuclear power plant accidents
with multiple fatalities and/or more than US$100 million in property damage, 1952-2011[4][14][15] Date↓ Location Description Deaths↓ I-131
Release
in 1,000 Ci[16]↓ Cost
(in millions
2006 $US)↓ INES
level[17]↓
January 3, 1961 Idaho Falls, Idaho, US Explosion at SL-1, National Reactor Testing Station. All 3 operators killed when rod was removed too far causing criticality surge and steam explosion. 3 0.08 22 4
October 5, 1966 Frenchtown Charter Township, Michigan, US Partial core meltdown of the Fermi 1 Reactor at the Enrico Fermi Nuclear Generating Station. No radiation leakage into the environment. 0
December 7, 1975 Greifswald, East Germany Electrical error causes fire in the main trough that destroys control lines and five main coolant pumps 0 443 3
February 22, 1977 Jaslovské Bohunice, Czechoslovakia Severe corrosion of reactor and release of radioactivity into the plant area, necessitating total decommission 0 1,700 4
March 28, 1979 Middletown, Pennsylvania, US Loss of coolant and partial core meltdown, see Three Mile Island accident and Three Mile Island accident health effects 0 0.017 2,400 5
September 15, 1984 Athens, Alabama, US Safety violations, operator error, and design problems force six year outage at Browns Ferry Unit 2 0 110
March 9, 1985 Athens, Alabama, US Instrumentation systems malfunction during startup, which led to suspension of operations at all three Browns Ferry Units 0 1,830
April 11, 1986 Plymouth, Massachusetts, US Recurring equipment problems force emergency shutdown of Boston Edison’s Pilgrim Nuclear Power Plant 0 1,001
April 26, 1986 Pripyat, Ukrainian SSR Chernobyl disaster steam explosion and meltdown, necessitating the evacuation of 300,000 people from Kiev and dispersing radioactive material across Europe (see Chernobyl disaster effects) 56 direct deaths and 4,000 extra cancer deaths.[18] 7000 6,700 7
May 4, 1986 Hamm-Uentrop, Germany Experimental THTR-300 reactor releases small amounts of fission products (0.1 GBq Co-60, Cs-137, Pa-233) to surrounding area 0 0 267
March 31, 1987 Delta, Pennsylvania, US Peach Bottom units 2 and 3 shutdown due to cooling malfunctions and unexplained equipment problems 0 400
December 19, 1987 Lycoming, New York, US Malfunctions force Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation to shut down Nine Mile Point Unit 1 0 150
March 17, 1989 Lusby, Maryland, US Inspections at Calvert Cliff Units 1 and 2 reveal cracks at pressurized heater sleeves, forcing extended shutdowns 0 120
February 20, 1996 Waterford, Connecticut, US Leaking valve forces shutdown Millstone Nuclear Power Plant Units 1 and 2, multiple equipment failures found 0 254
September 2, 1996 Crystal River, Florida, US Balance-of-plant equipment malfunction forces shutdown and extensive repairs at Crystal River Unit 3 0 384
September 30, 1999 Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan Tokaimura nuclear accident killed two workers, and exposed one more to radiation levels above permissible limits. 2 54 4
February 16, 2002 Oak Harbor, Ohio, US Severe corrosion of control rod forces 24-month outage of Davis-Besse reactor 0 143 3
August 9, 2004 Fukui Prefecture, Japan Steam explosion at Mihama Nuclear Power Plant kills 4 workers and injures seven more 4 9 1
March 11, 2011 Ōkuma, Fukushima, Japan Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster. Three workers died due to non-radiation causes.[19] 3[20] 2400[21] 7[22]"-wiki

edit on 13-8-2011 by Jrocbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Of course there has, google 1859 solar flares. Off the top of my head the solare flares we are expecting compared to the ones in 1859 are going to be 10x stronger!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I work in coal-fired power plants. Tree-huggers unite! But the fact of the matter is that if, somehow, a cfpp would lose power for its turbines, then it just loses power. It stops producing power and introducing it into the grid. There are no meltdowns, no wildlife destroyed, or land contaminated for thousands of years.

This is certainly a big issue, and the nuclear-age as a whole was the equivalent of opening Pandora's Box. Maybe the answer lies in mankinds need for modern things. If we all can't agree to start moving back towards and agrarian lifestyle, then maybe something will happen that will make the choice for us.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Basically I feel that Daniel 4 is about the present time as far as the writing on the wall goes to the last part which could have many different scenarios in meaning. Kinda like Hot particles and tail of a comet maybe.
Right now we have allot on the table and just a little more could tip that table.
Society as a whole is in calamity over financial matters. Society is in an uproar over religious matters.
Society is starting the slow withdrawl of intelligence.
America the great is no longer great when their religious leaders are saying their now the New Apostles of the New Age of Christ. Now that's crazy as crazy can be.
But the World's gone mad and heading right into the survival of the fittest.
They even wish that Dick B. Hairy would be President of the USA. He's kinda rabid.
But who's to say that Obama won't be the last American President. Certainly not me for I think that there will be one more and more then like it ain't Bachmann or Sister Sarah. But I bet it will be Dick B Hairy and we will be making Soylent Green from all the sick and dying seniors off of SS, SSD and Medicare. After all Dick B Hairy and His ball's (boy's or nuts) don't give a Rat's Arse for anyone without money.
Good Luck to you all.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
they have generators BIG ones, which will be fired up, which will run them untill they can sort the problems out, to drain off the power, that job would only take a few weeks a month or so at most. they have plenty of fuel for that. SO not such a massive problem, a problem, but not so big.
edit on 13-8-2011 by outerlimits because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

All of the nuclear plants need to be constructed where they are inside ready to launch rocket and in any event of compromise is of issue; launching with momentum of absolute discard would make minds at rest and there are easier ways to create energy while simillar to such reactions with mechanics and will in time share with you.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

after returning to follow up reading after my first post i see all sorts of posts with some showing their concern for the safety of mankind, some who feel they have to hurl insults at others for various reasons and a few posts that very well lay bare as to how very scary the big picture is.

and once again i'm disappointed at how few times the OP has joined in the thread to agree, disagree or provide any commentary.

at the end of the day it's just more people typing away. ain't nothing changing around here, folks. no one has any intention of stepping up to the plate. there are those willing, but no one is pointing the way. yes, i'll admit i gave up after reading 4-5 pages of posts after my original post on p.4, so forgive me if i missed yours that is relevant.

if someone is going to throw out a sensational headline like "This is the single most important issue in the history of the world" i would think that encouraging others to take action, and how to do same, would be an integral effort by the OP.

i'm wrong again. it's threads like these that lead to people not participating. not participating in future threads, and not taking action to help sway opinion for a good cause.

you've been hoodwinked, baby! Visiting ESB, i won't respond to another one of your posts in the future.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

The power to the grid comes from those nuclear power plants. The lack of power is not the issue. The issue encountered in Japan is that most motors and electrical circuits used to assist the cooling of the nuclear power plants weren't designed to work underwater.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I am a bit confused.

So, when you entitled this as the single most important issue in the history of the world, I was sure I knew what the thread would be about, and hoped others could provide insight into the matter which will forever be of utmost importance:

Why did that beautiful Irish girl break my heart when I was sixteen?

Sigh. But I guess you all want to talk about the apocalyptic-like fate we must face as regards nuclear power.

[I tease, but with a point: The matters of the human heart and human soul have always been, are now, and will always be the most important.]

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The question is are the Elite employing their Agenda, building underground cities (under Denver Airport, etc..), and grabbing ownership of everything callously because they believe we are already dead?

The post on Nirbiru/Marduk from Russia dovetails nicely as just propaganda or truth.
In either case "The Age of Aquarius ( Ganymede ) is upon us and it doesn't include GOD.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
We just went through a bunch of very strong solar activity and nothing happened so don't you think your overreacting a bit.

Everyone always overreacts until the crisis unfolds and all hell breaks loose. Maybe if we all overracted our planet would not be riddled with so many problems. As we have seen from Fukushima nuclear power without the pumps to keep them cool present one of the greatest threats to our survival. We have to understand that most of our politicians are sociopaths lacking any compassion for anyone with hardships so how can we expect them to worry about something that has never happened yet, let alone have any forsight for that would require intelligents and as we know not many of America's political class has much of that. Though the danger is real, we can't expect anyone to act like it is until the first time it happens then we will see the greatest amount of fear mongering the corporate news media can perpetuate. there will be calls of why we havent planned for this and who is responsable even before the first fal sick! You see our media mogals have great hindsight but other then pointing out shoulda, coulda or woulda they are useless but that's how society has become. We live in a world with razors in every direction but most walk through life with the blinders on and hope for the best! It seems like this is all we can do on this subject matter since to shut down all of those facilities would be detrimental for to many to be without power and would take too long to shut them down anyways. so any discussion is pointless!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
with emp weapons easily available im sure alot of these plants have been fitted with lead for protection. there have been threats of terrorists using plants as dirty bombs and im sure all types of precautionary action have been implemented.
if not then yeah we'd be #ed...i seen that show on discovery channel :p

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hi Folks - I am very happy that this issue has finally been recognized. I have been talking about this issue with friends for more than 5 years and last year started talking about it on my podcast (now defunct) and writing about it here on my blog : otherworldyencounters.wordpress.com... and here :otherworldyencounters.wordpress.com... and previously .

I also set up a severe space weather petition - to try to help avoid just such a scenario : www.gopetition.com... . Please consider putting your name to it - time is running out !

May you all be well,

Bright Garlick.
otherworldyencounters.wordpress.com...

edit on 20-8-2011 by BrightGarlick because: forgot a link

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
OP I think you are right.

Of all the doomsday senarios I have heard, yours seems the most plausible. How did we so foolishly allow science to go out of control with no regulations? Even now as we sit here there are scientists all over the world doing whatever they please with zero oversight.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Very VERY well said..

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

im sure we will cope

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join