It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood types, and food that you eat. Should they coincide?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I remember a friend telling me a few weeks back that everybody, to be as healthy as possible, should eat only the types of foods that mix well with their bloodtype. I'm pretty sure there is also a name for this...and there are definately books on the subject.

Does anybody do this, or have any critism/info on it? When I find out a bit more information I'll post it, as facts are very lacking in my post

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   
This is a very, very old theory....I don't think much has been really done with it because not too many take it too serious...there are several things on the net about it though if you run a search

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Here's some stuff that I found:

"Type O's are the dominant, hunter-caveman type that require meat in the diet, that Type A's are docile vegetarians, while Type B's are dairy-eating omnivores"

I think that the book that started all of this was "Eat Right For Your Type" by Peter J. D'Adamo. People are saying that not very much of this is based on any scientific evidence...making it pretty hard for me to go with the whole idea.

Here are some links that I found:

Tables on Intake recommended for each bloodtype, race

Food Intake Diet: Fact or Fiction

The Blood Type Diet: Latest Diet Scam

Hm...by the looks of it the theory has been shot down a lot.

[edit on 18-8-2004 by anjeeeee]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
To all,

It's a well known fact that certain foods react with certain blood types.

Here's the scientific proof and how the test is done:

a) The lectin from the food being tested is extracted
b) A drop of the lectin is placed on plates under a microscope and each plate has a different blood type (A, AB, O and B)
c) When blood produces antibodies, it coagulates...so if the blood on the plate coagulates when the lectin extract is added, it means that the blood is producing antibodies to the lectin extract and as such, that food is in-compatible with the blood type.

That's how foods are tested whether they are compatible with certain blood types.

I saw a show on TV the other day with someone saying there is no proof. I wish I was the reporter as I would have fired the above round

I also know people I have recommended the diet to (due to their lack of energy, over-weight etc) and I have had 100% raves.

A good book is:

"eat right for your diet"

I try to stick to the diet as much as I can but I can't give up my potatoes - no matter what

Cheers

JS

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Is it "Eat Right For Your Type" or "Eat Right For Your Diet" ?

I know the first one is by Peter J. D'Adamo.

"For over 20 years, Peter D?Adamo has extensively researched the connections between blood type, food, and disease. Combining his findings with previously established research by other scientists in his field, D?Adamo published his first book, Eat Right 4 Your Type, in 1996. "

Is the one you just mentioned by another author, or did you get the names wrong?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I read the book interesting I am type O I have to have meat in my diet and I am a meat eater, my husband is type A he is suppose to be a vegetarian but he eats meat with not problem at all.

I lose weight easily in low carb diets while low fat does nothing for me.

My husband loses weight easily on low fat diet but gain weight on high carbs diet.

I think I agree a littler bit with the blood type theory but it is also a book about your body type and that has to do with the body shape you have so it gets confusing.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Might explain why some people can eat hamburgers + fries and never have to worry about their health. Of course as long as you don't overindulge.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Perhaps blood types just happen to coincide with other factors that effect health. Hmm- maybe Type O people have a certain inherited gene that allows them to eat more meat without as many negative effects on cholesterol, or Type B folks tend not to have a hard time with dairy because their Type B great great great grandmother passed on the tendencies. Could be something unrelated to blood type that happens to coincide with common genetic sililarities. Who knows. As for certain types getting certain foods by hunting, gathering, etc. Weren't all of those types present in a community early on and wouldn't they have shared food?

Sounds like bunk to me.

Things with such widespread implications are usually in peer review articles in published journals and not just available in for-profit books and websites. Having a best-seller doesn't mean it's the new nutrition gospel. Fiction books can be best-sellers, too.

One thing that *might* be beneficial is that when people think they are following some sort of special program or diet, they tend to eat different foods. If 'Jimmy' gives up Twinkies and McDonalds because he is eating more banannas and spinnach for his "blood type" then he is going to lose weight and feel more energetic. Or perhaps "Cindy" stops eating dairy so gives up cheesefries, icecream, alfredo sauce, or mozarella sticks in favor of chicken breast or broccoli bites. That has more to do with eating a better and balanced diet than what their blood type might be.

Also, knock out ANY major food type, protien, carbs, or fats and you WILL lose weight. Weight, however, does not always equal health.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by RedBalloon]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Im A type and i aint no docile vegetarian. But this thread got me thinking about something I read a few years ago. Based on Ayurvedic principles, it dictates how we should eat in relation to our body type. I dont think the ancient Indians knew about blood types could be wrong here), but it would be interesting to find out if these body types in Ayurvedic principles are the same as or close enough to the blood groups and how we should eat to stay healthy.

This link gives a brief introduction to the body types.

join