It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals, why y so stupid! (Rant :D)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
So as you can tell by the title I want to talk about Liberals and why I don't like the movement. I am a very liberal leaning person. I support and try to respect everybody but...how should I word this. Well my friend once told me, "Liberals want equal rights for everybody except those that disagree with them" and I find this very interesting.

I mean look I am by no means a full blown conservative. I don't like titles but I hate this idea (perhaps it isn't liberals but for some reason thats what comes to mind when I think of this) that people are intellectual for being liberal. That they are now smart because they subscribe to these free ideas. My friend described it as them believing they are more "free thinkers" when they aren't.

They think that subscribing to this ideology that we don't need religions and laws. EVERYONE CAN BE INDIVIDUALS! Sorry doesn't work like that. Oh and severing family values also. That bugs me as well.

Now bring on the arguments here. Try to keep it civil. I may be using the wrong term by calling them liberals. But this idea that if you sever ties with religion and family values you are automatically a individual and smarter.

Also please no bickering about religion. You can share your views but let's not argue about how christians are stupid or how atheists are stupid or how any religion is stupid. It isn't important you can't change a religious persons mind easily and it just subtracts from my thread.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I understand categories for broad general ideas, but to think everyone is the same is ridiculous! Like, I'm fairly smart, but extremely stupid in some areas. So it doesn't mean I'm always smart.

Sorry if thats a confusing analogy, I shouldn't post while tired

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think when anyone who refers to another person or generalizes a group as "liberals" or the opposite is stupid. (Not that they are stupid. But that is my personal opinion.

People are much more than a label.
edit on 11-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Well I thought I made it clear that I may be wrong about the group however my rant is on how they act not the name.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by drew1749

I have to agree with you, it bothers me aswell that some of my more right-leaning opinions can be classified as being narrow-minded and therefore lacking in intelligence. It seems as if you are to be considered as smart in this modern Western society, then you should avoid feeling passionate about any one thing.

This feels more and more like the result of decades of brainwashing and of course, let's not forget that the Western Main Stream Media is a good 80% liberal, with most of them sporting the facade of being impartial and a medium for freedom of speech, all the while, they channel their opinions and angles through to the masses.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Seeing as how things can get turned around, please define "liberal" and what the "liberal movement" stands for. To be honest, I can't tell.

CJ

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
watch the movie 2081 An adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron "Everyone Will Finally By Equal."
www.finallyequal.com...

liberalism is a good thing just as conservatism is, however too much of any ideology and the world breaks.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749
reply to post by boncho

Well I thought I made it clear that I may be wrong about the group however my rant is on how they act not the name.

I highlighted the irony for you, in bold.

edit on 11-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Who exactly are we talking about here? The Dems have NO direction and I am wondering if this means them?
Thanks for your wisdom.

CJ

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Liberals, why y so stupid! (Rant
),

Do you know what an oxymoron is?
Now you do.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

SO you have insight into this "liberal" thing? Is this the same as communism? As any welfare program? What is it exactly. I can say for sure we are living in 1963 Russia at the moment (gag reflex now). Joking aside!

CJ

edit on 12-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

SO you have insight into this "liberal" thing? Is this the same as communism? As any welfare program? What is it exactly. I can say for sure we are living in 1963 Russia at the moment (gag reflex now). Joking aside!

CJ

edit on 12-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

Joking also aside...
"The ideology of liberalism—particularly in its classical form—is highly individualistic and concerns itself with limiting the power of the state over the individual. "

Near the end of the 18th century, these ideas inspired the American Revolution and the French Revolution, which gave birth to the ideology of liberalism

The research institute Freedom House today simply defines liberal democracy as an electoral democracy (that is) also protecting civil liberties.

Liberal democracy, also known as constitutional democracy, is a common form of representative democracy. According to the principles of liberal democracy, elections should be free and fair, and the political process should be competitive. Political pluralism is usually defined as the presence of multiple and distinct political parties.

The Liberal democracies usually have universal suffrage, granting all adult citizens the right to vote regardless of race, gender or property ownership.

conventional views were challenged at first by a relatively small group of Enlightenment intellectuals, who believed that human affairs should be guided by reason and principles of liberty and equality.

They argued that all people are created equal, and therefore political authority cannot be justified on the basis of "noble blood", a supposed privileged connection to God, or any other characteristic that is alleged to make one person superior to others.
They further argued that governments exist to serve the people, not vice versa, and that laws should apply to those who govern as well as to the governed (a concept known as rule of law).

The ideology of liberalism—particularly in its classical form—is highly individualistic and concerns itself with limiting the power of the state over the individual.

In contrast, democracy is seen by some[who?] as a collectivist ideal, concerned with empowering the masses. Thus, liberal democracy may be seen as a compromise between liberal individualism and democratic collectivism.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 12-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I appreciate you, a poster on this thread, giving me some insight. Now, I am curious what the OP's definition is. It seems like "liberal" is synonmous with many many things it really shouldn't be. Also, when such generalizations are thrown about, I like to try to understand the point. In this thread, I can't find one other than:
"Liberals are dumb" As to why, I suppose we'll never know for sure.

CJ

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

),

Now you do.

"Y U NO" is a meme. I used it as a joke changing the no to a so.

The title isn't everything you know.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I appreciate you, a poster on this thread, giving me some insight. Now, I am curious what the OP's definition is. It seems like "liberal" is synonmous with many many things it really shouldn't be. Also, when such generalizations are thrown about, I like to try to understand the point. In this thread, I can't find one other than:

CJ

Sorry my definition of liberal (I could very well be wrong) is people who support a big government, hate religions of all kinds especially Christianity, I could go on.

I don't know why these traits seem liberal to me but that's kind of what sticks out. Obviously their are exceptions. But those are some of the things I think of when I hear liberal.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

),

Now you do.

"Y U NO" is a meme. I used it as a joke changing the no to a so.

The title isn't everything you know.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. I thought the Y was just hanging there in thin air like a typo because it reads 'Liberals, why why so stupid' and even without the extra Y, this doesn't make grammatical sense. Then it seems, at least to me, putting the word Rant and the emoticon in parentheses in your title as if people will not see that it is already a rant in the rant forum, a little redundant. No, the title isn't everything, but it is the best clue to determine what is to come.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

So in other words, it's just people who like big gov and hate religion, mostly. Ok. I personally don't know anyone who likes big gov but I know a lot of people who don't like politicized religion. There are the "stupid" people? Got it. Now I know where you are comming from

CJ

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

CJ

Sorry my definition of liberal (I could very well be wrong) is people who support a big government, hate religions of all kinds especially Christianity, I could go on.

I don't know why these traits seem liberal to me but that's kind of what sticks out. Obviously their are exceptions. But those are some of the things I think of when I hear liberal.

You are giving me an idea for a poll. I wonder if there are many other disgruntled folks with this inaccurate perception of what a "liberal" actually is? I don't blame you for not liking this person you describe above but that definition is not what a liberal is or means. I am a Catholic and a liberal. I get a lot of heat for both and still I wouldn't trade either for all the money in the world.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Aw Jeeze, the cat is out of the bag. Irish catholic liberal? Those are the WORST kind! Christ in a sidecar I can still picture it - family from around the country - about 100 of us, red heads and blue eyes everywhere. Hair as pure white as the driven snow on the elderly gentlemen...whistling "s's" coming from various grandpa's..."pass the Oleo sssssonny!" ANd of course everyone was bombed. Now I see why you have so many issues

CJ
edit on 13-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Aw Jeeze, the cat is out of the bag. Irish catholic liberal? Those are the WORST kind! Christ in a sidecar I can still picture it - family from around the country - about 100 of us, red heads and blue eyes everywhere. Hair as pure white as the driven snow on the elderly gentlemen...whistling "s's" coming from various grandpa's..."pass the Oleo sssssonny!" ANd of course everyone was bombed. Now I see why you have so many issues

CJ
edit on 13-8-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

Flattered for the attention but everything is not about me. At least that's what they tell me.

top topics

join