It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US postal service about to cut 120 000 jobs to avoid bankruptcy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Well that's gonna help the unemployment numbers... help them get really ugly.

Here Comes "Going Postal" The Sequel: US Postal Service To Cut 120,000 Jobs To Avoid Bankruptcy

As of today, we finally welcome the USPS to reality which has announced that, in an attempt to avoid bankruptcy, it is now seeking to reduce its total overhead by 20%, or a whopping 120,000 workers (a number which would amount to roughly an increase of 0.1% in the national unemployment rate). Ah yes, but this is prohibited by existing union contracts. Furthermore, WaPo writes that "SPS also wants to withdraw its employees from the health and retirement plans that cover federal staffers and create its own benefit programs for postal employees." Good luck trying to convince a labor union that cutting an ungodly amount of jobs is for the greater good. Alas, what happened in Greece (and what is about to happen in Italy) will be nothing compared to what will happen when the entire post office goes, well, postal.

Yep... this is gonna be another ``union fight``... will the federal government end up bailing out or nationalizing the Postal office? Me thinks yes.... after the unions protest...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Nobody will know because they will report that unemployment dropped and more jobs were created last month.

They put a positive spin on it and then quietly retract it later. But, have to admit, most people are clueless to it. They only see the positive and only want to hear good news.

Rev 18:7
How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Gone are the days, of where having a united states postal service job, was a guaranteed postion. now that too, is affected. They said it was due to online ordering, instead of going through the postoffice, for thier stuff. online is agood thing, but it also kills local businesses. we should go back to buying in store, and reserve online buying, for minute stuff.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

incredible. another outdated inefficient usa gov't institution that has been costing the taxpayers beaucoup bucks for years. doesn't matter how deep in debt we go, another magic check will be inked.

if i was President LargeFries i'd propose to the people we sell the USPS to the likes of FredEx or UPS big brown. or have them share the load. we'd make money off the sale, and we could put in stipulations so no one would ever get greedy fingers and jack up the price of mail just for fun.

the USPS has been taking tremendous hits in the loss column for many years now thanks to competition and modern technology. credit where credit is due, they have tried hard to hold their own and offer diversified services at the consumer level. sadly it's too little too late. even Speedy uses email and private couriers. they'll never learn.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Oh jeeze the line is already a mile long at the post office as it is!
I don't see how the USPS train can keep on chugging for much longer!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
Gone are the days, of where having a united states postal service job, was a guaranteed postion. now that too, is affected. They said it was due to online ordering, instead of going through the postoffice, for thier stuff. online is agood thing, but it also kills local businesses. we should go back to buying in store, and reserve online buying, for minute stuff.

ziggy1706 i too believe in supporting the local merchant. sadly, the bulk of the little merchants in the little piss-ant town in which we live closed shops and moved away when the town council talked to suits from Wal-Mart.

well before Walmart even began to break ground over two dozen merchants left the area. one or two received big checks from companies that lurk and build when WM comes to town. Starbucks must have written an incredible check to the owner of a very successful Dairy Queen on the highway. They mowed down the building, tore up the lot, changed everything and built a shrine to burnt overpriced coffee.

now the locals are pretty well screwed if you want quality footwear, a place with real hardware selection, etcetera etcetera. the WM in my town is the smallest, most poorly run WM i've ever seen or been in, and i've been to WM's in some 15 states. forget about a selection if you need to repair a lamp or heaven forbid you want to buy the correct hardware for a home project --- they can't even stock in Hot Wheels cars properly on the shelf. last week i stood and stared at a half-empty mop & brush display. pathetic.

i'm actually lucky if i get 1/2 of what i'm after at WM. meanwhile, the little stores up and left. most of them were vacant for extended periods. now we have places that sell mattresses, clothing for petite women, really large liquor stores, and a movie rental franchise that not only censors some films, they think adults shouldn't be able to rent or buy adult movies. oh yes -- we also have the Starbucks.

i would support the local merchants -- if they had stuck around and supported me.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

actually, the post office has not received a dime in federal funding (tax dollars) since the 70's. every penny comes from postage. the usps is technically owned and controlled by the federal government but independently operated. maybe you should do a little research before you run your mouth about magic checks and wasted tax dollars. just sayin.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
well thats good.. right... according to pelosi unemployment checks stimulate job growth....

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I love how they wait til 9pm to let us know about the 100k jobs they need to cut. I wonder if the stock market will drop 1000 points tomro. This country is going out of biz...all the jobs gone.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Dear Vitchilo,

I am not glad to see the post office go nor am I surprised. It is not a question of mismanagement simply a sign of the times. I get more junk mail then mail as people prefer to use e-mail. Packages can be sent via Fedex or UPS. I ask what the effect will be. The first thing is that there will be more people on unemployment; but, I think we can look beyond that. The only communication that has an expectation of privacy is your mail and your land line, nobody uses land lines and using the mail will be increasingly hard as they downsize.

Even if the postal service remains but is privatized, we lose our expectation of privacy and that means your mail can be opened and read.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Yeah totally agree. Now the postal office/services are only used for shipping stuff... so the US postal office has to adapt or die...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I totally rely on them for money orders...
I would have to buy checks from my bank if they went belly up!
I can get my rent check as a money order and mail it out at the same time! I digress...I never use the USPS to ship packages, always ups.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
They are counting kids with lemonade stands as employed in this day and age. It's pretty much like, Q: Hey look there is a guy selling flowers on the side of the road, do I mark him down as 2 people employed? Supervisor: I would say 4 on account he probably has a couple kids and they probably help out the business.

It's a joke, the system is a complete joke and people know the numbers are lies. You'd have to be a fool to believe what comes out from government channels.

edit on 11-8-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by themailman
reply to post by LargeFries

actually, the post office has not received a dime in federal funding (tax dollars) since the 70's. every penny comes from postage. the usps is technically owned and controlled by the federal government but independently operated. maybe you should do a little research before you run your mouth about magic checks and wasted tax dollars. just sayin.

the mailman i thank you for your reply. and i do apologize for having offended your mailman sensibilities by running my mouth. yes, i admit, my statement was based completely and in whole on what i have been told by other people in conversations only. my statement(s) were fully based on many people telling me in conversation that the USPS has been losing money and business on a large scale year after year, as more and more people utilize the technology of electronic mail and the competitive service/prices offered by private sector courier services.

matter of fact, the last sentence i typed was told to me near verbatim by a USPS employee some 24 months ago who was with a team of others installing new posters and fold-out corrugated display promoting postal services.

again, i sincerely apologize for having pissed on your mailman expertise knowledge. and i thank you for correcting my oversight; this is how i learn.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
120000 jobs it is too much .I think they should arrange people in any way they can do it.They can decrease the salary if they want.

new topics

top topics

join