It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plans for military airfield in Snowdonia welcomed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Plans for military airfield in Snowdonia welcomed

www.bbc.co.uk

Plans to develop a former Snowdonia military air base as a research site have taken a step forward.

The Welsh Government has been granted a certificate of lawful use, enabling the Llanbedr site in Meirionnydd to be used to test and develop unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

Llanbedr Airfield Estates, who hope to purchase and develop the site, cautiously welcomed the plans.

The Snowdonia Society said it was glad the issue had been resolved.

The site at Llanbedr employed 130 people at the time it was closed in 2004.

Llanbedr Airfield Estates (LAE) had wanted to use the land for priv
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
DRONES being developed in the Welsh Mountains? I bet there will be more than this going on there. Years ago I remember visiting here with my mother and she told me that the airfield was also used to fly in National artefacts to be 'buried' in the numerous caves in the mountains for safe keeping.
The following news link also attracted my attention as to the previous owners of the site who also owned or still do Cirencester airport....this is very close to RAF Fairford, where I believe (but I may be wrong) there is a large US presence and where they have those big bombers and aircraft carriers. Have a niggly feeling about this.

"Llanbedr Airfield Estates was formed by Kemble Air Services, which runs Cotswold Airport at Cirencester in Gloucestershire. "
news.bbc.co.uk...

What gets me is the following, it was sold by the MOD to the Assembly in 2005, because the MOD moved and develpoed...

"A centre of excellence for developing unmanned aircraft was opened down the coast in Aberporth, Ceredigion, in 2005."

news.bbc.co.uk...

So why have another and return to their original site?

Rainbows
Jane
PS MODS....hope I got it right this time!

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
www.501csw.usafe.af.mil...

Here is an article stating that US equipment and personal are available for time phased reinforcement that are on site. So the belief that US forces are in play is a good assumption.
www.usanato.army.mil...
This site allays all need for assumption
interesting what kind of equipment will be tested at a, possibly, Joint research facility?

new topics

join