It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sky on Mars is Blue!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Amazing! So did NASA alter previous photos to reflect the general assumption that the Martian sky was red, if so, for what reason? And if they altered previous photos...what else have they altered???

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Hey, great catch and question. This is the first picture I've seen where everything in sight, sky and all, didn't have a very distinct and pronounced red tint to it. How odd.... Are we positive THIS picture is legitimate and came from the rover? It seems odd to say a new one is proving everything since the 70's to be wrong?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

The Martian atmosphere is actually predominantly carbon dioxide, which means it's mostly colourless. Any colour is lent to it by the surface. Most often, this colour is red, as a large portion of the surface composition of Mars is basalt covered by a layer of red iron oxide dust. However, this isn't true everywhere, and there are certainly areas where the atmosphere reflects a bluer surface.
edit on 11-8-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So that means we can make a Mars colony to solve our overpopulation problems? What about an agricultural center?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
All these years , astronomers saying and drawing pictures of a mars that is not all red and rust... And all those years of NASA claiming it is red..

We all know they recolour the images, you can tell with the markers on the probes they use for so called "calibration".

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
So that means we can make a Mars colony to solve our overpopulation problems? What about an agricultural center?

Curious, is it possible (pure speculation) that someone has been secretly terraforming Mars in case of a major disaster on planet Earth? I mean, clouds, water, blue skies...just throwing that thought out there

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Yea and verily it is so....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be revisited. I don't think Phage agrees and I want to mark my spot in the meantime till he shows up.

Here is another photo...

Thanks to CLPrime.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I heard about this. The high def pictures that were sent via the rover had distorted the coloring in the picture. (gamma, brightness, ect) It was a shock to all at first but later realized that a color correction was needed.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I've seen many images over the past decade that look like the one posted in the OP. If people spent less time in message boards and more time on research, half or more of these threads would never be started. Unless there is an ulterior motive for the post, which I suspect by the tone of the OP prose.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Umm the surface is red..that's why it looks red...I thought this was pretty commonly known..I also thought it was commonly known that mars does have somewhat of an atmosphere..hmm..

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

Actually, the surface is bluish, grayish, with a red tint. Not the red Mars we are used to seeing in books.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
History has shown that the more we study a subject the more our understanding and opinion evolve on that subject. It isn't a surprise that a planet that we are discovering is, for lack of a better term "fluid" in its seasons and environment from hemisphere to hemisphere, which also shouldn't surprise us because it certainly happens here! the more data we get about each area we explore the better picture in total we have to work with lest we forget that a decade or two ago we still argued that it was a dead planet and no reason explore it whatsoever, could be found in some camps, that of course is struck down with the probes and continuous research and data being gathered, We've found water, running water, and the evidence of its continued passing, perhaps those particular pictures with blue sky are reflecting unseen ice or a thin body of water somewhere we haven't been yet, because its becoming painfully obvious our satellite research of mars can only be so accurate. To constantly nay say is counterproductive when data to the support water keeps arising.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

Yea and verily it is so....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be revisited. I don't think Phage agrees and I want to mark my spot in the meantime till he shows up.

Here is another photo...

Thanks to CLPrime.

Images like this one (if anyone ever bothered to read how they are produced) are exaggerated color assigned to special wavelengths of light they were captured on that show the different mineral makeup of the geology, you know, for scientific study. A true color image would not show as much color deviations. It's information available linked to the images. One can find out things in great detail with a little digging from the links and associated processes. All raw data are grayscale assigned a particular color to represent the wavelength the image was shot at. NASA at times stretch the color to highlight the subtile differences you would not see if you stood there.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
I've seen many images over the past decade that look like the one posted in the OP. If people spent less time in message boards and more time on research, half or more of these threads would never be started. Unless there is an ulterior motive for the post, which I suspect by the tone of the OP prose.

Nah, I had no ulterior motive

But I too have seen a few of these types of images, one that was supposedly "accidentally" leaked by JPL during a slideshow (can't remember where I saw that one) and the article just seemed quite interesting, thanks for the reply! peace...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I've see the sky turn white in a blizzard. I've seen the sky turn orange in a sand storm, and I've seen the sky turn green before a major coastal downpour.

The point is that even Mars experiences atmospheric deviations, and also does have seasons, any planet with a tilted axis and gas near it's surface (unlike our moon) will have seasons, and 'weather'.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

That's why you used question marks, for plausible deniability, instead of outright accusations. It's an old conspiracy tactic.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

And this, of course, emphasizes the phenomenon I mentioned. The surface lends an insignificant colouration to the atmosphere, but this colour is then exaggerated by NASA's rendering of the images.

This effect can clearly be seen in the photo that was posted by Frater210. Where the surface is redder, the sky has a red hue. Where the surface is bluer, the sky has a blue hue.

Normally, this effect would not be noticeable, and the sky would appear colourless (again, because it's predominantly carbon dioxide). It's only when NASA exaggerates the colours of the images that the effect becomes apparent.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Does this mean they could plant trees in the hope the grow? I know you need water but given they have found water near the suface of late this could be an option.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thank you, gentlemen.

No, seriously, thanks. I would probably go on thinking that something is being hidden without the leavening provided by other ATS members.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Here are two images,with captions,that you should see.
Your Op picture is colored.

A portion of the west rim of Endeavour crater sweeps southward in this color view from NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity. This crater -- with a diameter of about 14 miles (22 kilometers) -- is more than 25 times wider than any that Opportunity has previously approached during the rover's 90 months on Mars. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell/ASU

West Rim of Endeavour Crater on Mars (False Color). Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell/ASU

[url=http://]http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-rover-site-martian-surface.html%5dRover%20arrives%20at%20new%20site%20on%20martian%20surface%5b/url/[ /url]

But,,, Who's to say NASA isn't hiding anything from us?
(They would not do that to us....Would they???)

Sorry, could not get Link correct.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Twisted1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join