It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ten myths about introverts

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yeah that list is me dead on. well except for the fact that I like excitement and adventure. the same thing every day drives me crazy. I didnt know that its called an introvert or that theres more people like me. I always thought that I was just messed up or something. I wish I could be like everyone else and I try but it just doesnt work. I hate small talk and talking just to be heard. Its empty and lame. But the reality is everybody else does it and I will always be isolated because ot this. I cant even act normal or do the small talk thing when im drunk, even if there is a woman I like. Id give anything to be normal and no matter how hard I try its hardwired in my brain, I cant do it. There are times were I think id rather be dead then introverted, because its like being trapped in a plexiglass tube. I can see and hear the rest of the world but I cant "fully" interact with it. Im trapped inside a shell.
edit on 18-8-2011 by timewraith117 because: had more to say

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamAnt
I thought i'd share this list I stumbled upon. I think this would be accurate for alot of folks here on ATS.
I know plenty of folk here at work think I'm weird because I typically have absolutly nothing to say to these people, because all they seem to to talk about all day is Call of Duty. For some reason however, I seem to be always surrounded by loud, obnoxious extrovert, especially in relationships. But I feel it helps balance everything out in the end.

Mods move or edit if needed.

I hope this helps

Top ten myths about introverts
Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

(Source: carlkingcreative.com)

How nice to read a description of myself in this post. It all makes perfect sense! At present I'm laying on the bed with my trusty iPad and cat named Kyro. What more could a person want?

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Definition: Contrary to what most people think, an introvert is not simply a person who is shy. In fact, being shy has little to do with being an introvert! Shyness has an element of apprehension, nervousness and anxiety, and while an introvert may also be shy, introversion itself is not shyness. Basically, an introvert is a person who is energized by being alone and whose energy is drained by being around other people.

Introverts are more concerned with the inner world of the mind. They enjoy thinking, exploring their thoughts and feelings. They often avoid social situations because being around people drains their energy. This is true even if they have good social skills. After being with people for any length of time, such as at a party, they need time alone to "recharge."

When introverts want to be alone, it is not, by itself, a sign of depression. It means that they either need to regain their energy from being around people or that they simply want the time to be with their own thoughts. Being with people, even people they like and are comfortable with, can prevent them from their desire to be quietly introspective.

Being introspective, though, does not mean that an introvert never has conversations. However, those conversations are generally about ideas and concepts, not about what they consider the trivial matters of social small talk.

Introverts make up about 60% of the gifted population but only about 25-40% of the general population Just found this definition for introverts.I think everyone is a blend of intro and extro some lean more to one side

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
wow nice job. gave u some stars

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I completely agree with these assessments because as a life long introvert myself I related to every single one.

We're not all Jared Loughner types, we're just not the same as you, that's all.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Thank you
I feel much better about myself now! Totally fed up with being asked why am I not on facebook. The thought of it just makes me ill!
Have been single for 5 yrs now so probably being introvert has helped as can cope quite well with own company.
What I need now is an "Introvert dating site" as do miss having someone to offload my thoughts onto.
It's been nice being anti-social with you all

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
All these 20 paragraph life-story posts written by people who supposedly only talk about things they consider important really say a lot about the true nature of an introvert.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm an introvert and the result of that is unnecessary medication and pshychiatrist interviews asking me questions as if i didn't know what the word means

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

Ok, thank you for posting every single personality quirk of mine
Now I need to go think ...

Seriously though, great post, if I could flag yet, I would, but alas, I have not made sufficient posts yet to do so, what can I say, I post when I have something to say, hence, I STILL don't have enough. I don't mind though, but I do wish I could give you a much deserved flag. So consider my reply here an unofficial flag. I did star you, at least I can do that

Even sent the link of this thread to my darling extrovert hubby. Yea we are complete oposites, but it works, it balances out.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

I totally agree with you. My son says I need to get out more. I say,"Why?" I agree with the ten list description that describes me perfectly! Especially the part about "get to the point. Don't beat around the bush!" We're not rude, we just have better things to do." Thanks for the uplifting encouragement! We can always print several copies and give them out to the extroverts who criticize us for not being "outgoing."

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I am an introvert and I'm PUH-ROUD!

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Oh god now i'm a introvert aswell.

Not that it's a bad thing it's just i'm sort of around and about living life trying to co-exist and work in this system to finally achieve things and already the odds are stacked against me when you get people that just glide right on through it.

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Since reading this life changing thread, I have been researching into Introverts, life makes sense now. Now, after re-reading this thread, it is amazing how many folks did not know they are Introverts. Majority of us spend many hours online already, so it was only a matter of time before many find out I guess.

After what I now know, I am left with one question no one has answered. Should Introverts be identified and told? I'm in my mid 30s and really wish I knew about all this 15 or so years ago.

Here is one short online test to find out what type of Introvert you are, if at all.

kisa.ca...

I’m an ISTJ, and the page below describes me 100%.
www.personalitypage.com...

edit on 8/30/11 by Cyprex because: added test

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Going by this list I am quite clearly an introvert and never knew it. Every single point in that list is a aspect of my personality.
I've already printed the list and i'll be showing this to my girlfriend as soon as i get home (explains why im happy to stay at home when she goes out on the booze) and then maybe some of my mates as well. They've given me a label of being a 'stoner' just because i dont like going out ever weekend to get s**t-faced and would rather stay in have a smoke, chill and watch something that actually interests me rather than talking about some crap that some 'celebrity' or someone i know that done something cer-razy.

I've been watching something about the pyramids (found a topic on here called 'Revelations of the Pyramids') and it has got to be one of the most interesting things i have ever watched, so may things that i didn't know about it explains the helicopter and 'thunderbird 2' hyroglphics for all the aliens helped egyptians theorists (theres my introvert side starting to ramble on
)
edit on 2-9-2011 by just1cornell0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Another introvert checking in. The one exception to me being a introvert is I do enjoy adrenaline and exciting things. For example I am a storm chaser and absolutely love it.

But yes, I am definitely an introvert. I am much more at ease by myself. I can entertain myself through reading, thinking, etc. I do not need nor want crowds of people talking about frivolous (IMO) things. It doesn't interest me nor does it make me comfortable.

I am very quiet unless there is something I find interesting to talk about. I don't talk just for the sake of talking. Small talk is not my forte by any means. It's not that I'm a "snob" in fact I do get along with most everyone. I'm just not one who enjoys talking just to talk so for the most part I am quiet absorbed in my own thoughts.

I feel much more comfortable alone or with people I know. Just the way I am.

It does cause me social anxiety sometimes. I wonder why I can't be comfortable around groups of people and it causes me some stress and sadness. But it's just the way I am and I accept it.

But yes, give me a choice of being at a loud party or bar or club, or spending a nice relaxing evening by myself and I will pick the 2nd choice every time.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

All bloody right!! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by prumplymromblex
Another introvert checking in. The one exception to me being a introvert is I do enjoy adrenaline and exciting things. For example I am a storm chaser and absolutely love it.

But yes, I am definitely an introvert. I am much more at ease by myself. I can entertain myself through reading,

It does cause me social anxiety sometimes. I wonder why I can't be comfortable around groups of people and it causes me some stress and sadness. But it's just the way I am and I accept it.

But yes, give me a choice of being at a loud party or bar or club, or spending a nice relaxing evening by myself and I will pick the 2nd choice every time.

*******************************************************************************************

I agree, and I'm an extrovert ... which, in a way, I find to be a curse. I guess I am an extrovert trying to be an introvert ... it doesn't work.

IMO, people who really enjoy and who look forward to attending large crowded, loud parties or functions are usually either heavy drinkers or social drinkers who are often quite boring. There's nothing wrong with social drinking in a large crowded party, but I think there is an element of insecurity there. Also, if you were to overhear or listen in on their conversations there's not a whole lot of substance. Most of the conversations in those settings are nothing more than useless chatter.

You are probably an intelligent person who is most likely uncomfortable with superficial or boring people ... which is a good thing ... a plus, at least in my opinion, as it means you are genuine, as opposed to phony and superficial. The loud noise and shouting over each other combined with the alcohol relieves them of the responsibility of a normal conversation ... so, anything goes. People who lack the patience or the ability to tolerate idle useless chit-chat are called intelligent.

On another note, maybe you are uncomfortable around large groups of people, especially strangers, because your first (and also possibly second) experience was very stressful and/or very negative. You may or may not remember it, but typically when our first (and earliest) experience with something is negative, it sets the tone for the rest ... especially if it's reinforced a second time. In any case, I wouldn't worry or be concerned with this if I were you. Everyone is entitled to be who they are ... to each their own. Sometimes comparing ourselves to others is good, while other times it can chip away at our self-confidence or self-esteem.

Would you rather be considered authentic, genuine and intelligent OR superficial and boring?

edit on 19-11-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
What an awesome post! Thanks OP, and everyone who replied! I am definitely a textbook introvert, and this list is dead on. It's things like this list that help us understand ourselves a little better. Just the other night I was walking to the store, and this foreign guy was standing on the sidewalk and started talking to me about how he was drunk and wanted to go have intercourse with some girl. I stopped and had an interesting interaction with him, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We love people, for the most part; everyone hates those they consider "stupid," and we have a lot to say, but we need a reason or excuse to interact with people. I sometimes find myself trying to make reasons to interact with others, but if I can't make one up, I just don't do it. All behavior is part of a spectrum, and no one should ever feel isolated or "weird" because of their personality. Anyway, it's threads like this that remind me why ATS is awesome: S&F.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

Great list!

I wouldn't say I'm introverted, but others would and they would apply those traits to me.
Truth be told I love having fun with people, it's just a little harder for me.
I have a mild case of Asperger's, and reading people is hard which makes social situations hard for me.
I can pull them off if I know the people or spend lots of energy paying attention to the subtle queues everyone else gets right away.
I just don't get the hint right away, I had to learn happy face, sad face etc...
So sometimes it's easier being the wall flower.

Fortunalty I joined a great Fraternity (founding father Kappa-Sigma Rho-Delta chapter) they excepted me for who I am and even helped me come out of my shell more.
Learning sign language helped too, half my Chapter is deaf and I chose to learn sign.
It's a beautiful language and requires a lot of body/facial queues.
If making it through high school with Asperger's is a college degree learning sign is like getting a Ph.D in body language/communication.

I still shut down when I'm tired and can't process what's around me, but that might alwayse be there.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
always been introverted . been called a cold arrogant s.o.b many times due to it . cant stand being around most people as could care less about the mindless drivel they ramble on about. prefer nights as not as many idiots to deal with..and yes something of an adrenaline junkie at times as always drive fast prefer sportscars and when can go skydiving and mountain climbing. quite interesting the article on the myths regarding introverts. surprisingly accurate as well.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join