It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alaska volcano's eruption stirs concern about disruption *8/11/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Just ran across this information. Now we can add Alaska on to the growing number of active volcano's. Seems they are just all coming to life....

The extrusion of lava into a bigger summit dome is not typical for this volcano, Power said. "This is something we really haven't observed at Cleveland before," he said. However, dome-building events have preceded big explosive eruptions at other Alaska volcanoes, including Redoubt Volcano near Anchorage, he said.

But there is a possibility that the extrusion of lava is a precursor to a big explosive event that would send ash into the atmosphere, he said.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — A volcano that has been erupting for several days in Alaska's Aleutian Islands may be preparing for a more explosive event, scientists said Wednesday.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
YES X MARKS THE SPOT......

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Seems like Mother Earth has had its fill of abuse and mistreatment. All I know is, this has been a year to remember, we have had just about every single type natural disaster.
edit on 11-8-2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9
Seems like Mother Earth has had its fill of abuse and mistreatment. All I know is, this has been a year to remember, we have had just about every single type natural disaster.
edit on 11-8-2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

I agree! Sure seems that way.

Just waiting to see what hurricane season brings

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9

That's probably because nearly every year, there is every single type of natural disaster. It's just that now, people are starting to pay attention, and it's much easier to get the information. For example, 10 years ago, I would never have heard of this possible eruption, or the eruption off the coast of Oregon. But thanks to the power of the internet and sites such as this, I now hear about these events far more often than was possible in the past.

I would say that every year has been a year to remember

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

Alaska is very volcanically active and always has at least one ongoing eruption of some sort.

Nothing to worry about here unless you are living near some of them. 'Never seen before' simply means not seen on that volcano - but all volcanoes are ALWAYS active to SOME degree. EVEN 'extinct ones'

Everything just moves slow
so we don't get to see 'full cycles' often.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by madjetxe
YES X MARKS THE SPOT......

no, x marks the area where a .jpg file was missing due to user error.

sorry to smash your hopes and dreams.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Foxe
reply to post by summer5

Alaska is very volcanically active and always has at least one ongoing eruption of some sort.

Nothing to worry about here unless you are living near some of them. 'Never seen before' simply means not seen on that volcano - but all volcanoes are ALWAYS active to SOME degree. EVEN 'extinct ones'

Everything just moves slow
so we don't get to see 'full cycles' often.

I would have to agree with your post, coming from a geologically active country, New Zealand. We have many active volcanoes, many ancient volcanoes, and many dormant volcanoes that will likely erupt again (even "super volcanoes"). At the moment, we have been relatively quiet volcanically, even though Christchurch has been getting hammered with earthquakes.

If one of our volcanoes was to go off now, you can gaurantee that there will be people who will say that it's not normal, something weird is going on, or that it's evidence of some major catastrophe or event that is ocurring. But in reality, we have volcanoes which are probably overdue for an eruption. I wouldn't be suprised if Mt Ngauruhoe or Mt Ruapehu has an eruption soon, or maybe a larger eruption somewhere else in the Taupo Volcanic Zone. This is simply the reality of this planet we live on.

Disasters will happen, so it pays to be aware and alert of the potential dangers. So even though the OP's volcano may not be a sign of the end times, it's good to know what's going on, and that these things are being monitored.

new topics

top topics

join