It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Men Going Extinct?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The Y chromosome is passed from father to son, it's what makes babies into boys. Basically the human template is a female: the Y chromosome kicks in a few weeks after conception and makes a boy. "Men are genetically modified women," explained Sykes. But unlike other chromosomes, the Y chromosome can't repair itself and will, says Sykes, disappear altogether in about 125,000 years.

Granted we will probably nuke ourselves into extinction in that amount of time, but it's still fascinating. Every generation one percent of men have a mutation that reduces their fertility by 10%. You can clearly see the problem here. When I read all this I was very surprised and frankly thought it basically spelled doom for the human race (if accurate). I wondered how women were going to reproduce without us. I supposed they could just have huge warehouses of ancient sperm. Well, looks like there is an answer for that too.

"Within the next few years you will get two women having a child who is the biological child of both of them," Sykes said. "And entirely normal in every respect, but always female." They've already done it with mice. Two mothers: the genetic material from one used to fertilize the egg of the other.

Wow. That absolutely floored me. I guess us fellas may have to justify our existence pretty soon.

How do you feel about two women having a child in this manner? I know quite a few people are opposed to any sort of 'unnatural' insemination.

(Could we please avoid the first 10 posts being one line wisecracks about men not being as manly as they used to be etc.? I want to discuss the topic not give idiot comedians a stage.)

edit on 11-8-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Interesting, as far as I know, we are not meant to stay as human beings for long.
edit on 8/11/2011 by athenegoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
We will be able to genetically modify the gene Sooner or later, Also that is a long time away, i don't think we have stopped evolving and will continue, we Have around 99% of the same DNA as Monkeys do, it is only 1% that makes us so much different and intelligent, in another 100 thousand years we might have a 2% difference Which would make us way more advanced than we are now

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If this were true then i'm sure we would come up with a solution to it in the timeline given but i've heard the complete opposite and that women will become extinct.......afterall there are already too few women around these days.

I'm also quite sure that the chemicals that are consumed by men(feminising) have something to do with it especially as this is supposed to be a new trend in male genes.
edit on 11/8/11 by Viking9019 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

I'm fairly certain we could come up with a solution also. 125 thousand years is a very long time. I thought there were still more women in the world than men, perhaps I am mistaken.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
But in China it's the opposite, there are more guys than gals due to the one child policy. I'm sure people of the future will do the same thing China do. (I'm not advocating it though)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, I call BS

125,000 years until nobody has a Y chromosome anymore? So for millions of years we have been around (I'm using the term "we" pretty loosely, to include our not-exactly-human ancestors) but all of the sudden, in a short period of time (relatively speaking) nobody will have a Y chromosome anymore?

Is there any historical evidence of any species on the planet just loosing one of the sexes and spelling doom for the whole species?

Not to sound all Jurassic Park, but I think the quote "life will find a way" is applicable here. I think this is a situation where number crunching doesn't actually represent what will happen in the real world.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by athenegoddess
Interesting, as far as I know, we are not meant to stay as human beings for long.
edit on 8/11/2011 by athenegoddess because: (no reason given)

Interesting, would you care to share your factual knowledge with the rest of us?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I also cannot subscribe to this theory right away, because when looking at the big picture, humans have not been around very long, and the allotted time until men disappear is extremely short on an evolutionary timescale, much too short to be believable.

If however I am wrong, I am confident that either evolution will find its own fix, or humans will fix the deficiency themselves. Or, women may take over the World. There might be less wars and killing if that were the case, although I am not positive on that. So maybe it is for the best, lol, who knows.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This ladies and gentlemen is what is known as bogus science.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Newton's Law.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. China has been killing off baby girls for generations, and mother nature is evening up the score. The rates of female birth in the Western world has been outpacing the male births for quite awhile.

Eventually, when nature has set things straight, another anomaly will come along to counteract our efforts.

Man should learn to live and enjoy this earth, and the abundance of life we share it with, and stop spending all of our time trying to tear it up! If we did that, all things would fall nicely into place.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
125,000yrs, LOL!

Science can't look that far into the future with a fair degree of probability...

Experts can barely figure out WTF is going to happen next season...

Either we'll invent our way out of it, else we'll evolve and find another way.

Or we'll already self destruct the whole lot of us

Not an issue, IMO...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

How thoughtful of you to pop in here and offer a one liner with no reason given to back up your opinion. What is junk about it? One guy believes it may happen, and offered decent evidence why. I don't know enough about it to say either way but if you do please contribute.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Gakus

How thoughtful of you to pop in here and offer a one liner with no reason given to back up your opinion. What is junk about it? One guy believes it may happen, and offered decent evidence why. I don't know enough about it to say either way but if you do please contribute.

The burden of proof rests upon your shoulders, not mine.

You have posted one bogus article and expect it to be taken as gospel, sorry I won't drink the Kool-Aid.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yeah, men are going extinct. It's harder and harder to be a man in this world and easier to stay a boy.

Example:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Gakus

What are you talking about? I don't wish this article to be taken as Gospel. I just don't think you know if it is junk science or not and asked you to explain why you think it is. I even stated that I don't know enough about the topic to know one way or the other.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Sounds like someone doesn't want to fit into the new alpha-male look!!

Ima nerd and LOVIN the 21st century.

So easy o exert your dominance for someone like me in today's world

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by Gakus

What are you talking about? I don't wish this article to be taken as Gospel.
What article? Methinks you forgot the link, or at least I don't see one.

I just don't think you know if it is junk science or not and asked you to explain why you think it is. I even stated that I don't know enough about the topic to know one way or the other.
I'm not an expert in that field, but I do have a lot of technical knowledge and it does sound pretty fishy.

To explain why, just think about how evolution works. The defective genes don't survive enough to reproduce. Therefore certain family lines may die off. That's happened for millions of years and is still happening now to some extent, so of course it will continue to happen. Therefore, the non-defective genes will continue to breed. It's kind of a self correcting problem, if it does exist.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This reminds me of an episode of "Outer Limits". All men were wiped out due to a plague, a few survivors were frozen in cryogenics, for future sperm. Artificial insemination was practiced but all male babies died due to the plague still present, so the earth's population consisted of only women.

One male accidentally thawed due to a malfunction. After a generation of peace (about 50 yrs) and crime free life and sharing from camp to camp, the man re-entered the "enclave" (camp) and a murder and fighting began again with the "main governing camp" (government) due to greed and territorialising issues. A catfight between a couple women, over the man, ensued also. (Usually the reason women fight anyway).

They ended up killing him in the end due to the presence of fighting and killing since his appearance, and wanted to resume the peace and harmony they had lived with and became accustomed to.

I miss that show! Never missed it, something different every time.

Don't get me wrong, I would miss men! Just reminded me of this episode....

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Are Men Going Extinct?

No, this is dumb.

But unlike other chromosomes, the Y chromosome can't repair itself and will, says Sykes, disappear altogether in about 125,000 years.

And this is just bad Science.

In 2003, researchers from MIT discovered a process which may slow down the process of degradation. They found that human Y chromosome is able to "recombine" with itself, using palindrome base pair sequences.[14] Such a "recombination" is called gene conversion or recombinational loss of heterozygosity (RecLOH).

Findings were confirmed by comparing similar regions of the Y chromosome in humans to the Y chromosomes of chimpanzees, bonobos and gorillas. The comparison demonstrated that the same phenomenon of gene conversion appeared to be at work more than 5 million years ago, when humans and the non-human primates diverged from each other.

en.wikipedia.org...

AND, I noticed that you didn't provide a source link for your.... *Ahem*.... "Article"

And here it is:

Envisioning a world without Men
By Nick Watt.

In his article, he talks about the "Findings" of the Scientist Bryan Sykes, whose popular publications include:

The Seven Daughters of Eve
and
Adam's Curse: A Future Without Men

The Y chromosome may wither to the absolute minimum needed to sustain reproduction, but no more, because a chromosome that won't breed won't be carried to its descendants - therefore, only functioning Y chromosomes will be passed on to future generations, and obviously no infertile men will transmit any Y chromosomes causers of infertility. Female infertility is also strangely forgotten in the work.

A further point of contention is that declining sperm counts have been linked to industrialisation, with environmental toxification as the presumed mechanism. If this is indeed the cause, then there is no reason to believe that a solution to the pollution problem won't also lead to a return to historical levels of male fertility.

More recent research (discussed at the end of the book) has shown that the Y-chromosome is capable of self-repair. In any case, it is impossible to assure that Y chromosomes won't evolve in any other way than self-repairing or extinction.

It can be noted that the Dunnart has a Y chromosome that has shrunk to only 4 genes, the smallest of any mammal, with no apparent ill effect.

en.wikipedia.org...

Bryan Sykes doesn't seem to have any peer reviewed publications.... just books full of bizarre speculation.

His works (notably, his speculation about the death of men) have been debunked by other scientists for being.... hyperbole.

What Sykes fails to understand, is that Genetic material is also being added to chromosomes (including the Y) all the time.

Sure, if you trace it backwards, it looks like the Y is just shedding chromosomes, until you realize that the Y chromosome is under constant evolution.

What happens, is that the Y chromosome can pass it's genes off onto the X chromosome, which is WHY we have sex chromosomes in the first place, because it allows faster mutation.

The Y chromosome mutates faster than the X, due mainly to the location of the Testes (closer to mutation causing radiation, as opposed to buried in the abdomen) and the fact that the Y chromosome does not have another Y chromosome to stabilize itself against.

The X chromosomes in women will swap genes to become more stable, while the Y chromosome compiles mutations at a faster rate, and after a certain amount of time, those successful mutations are passed over to the X chromosome where they become part of the "Baseline" human genome that is safeguarded in the X chromosome.

The larger probability of mutation in the Y chromosome is what makes men have greater variance in basically all capabilities than that of women.

Intelligence for example, there are a higher percentage of smart men, and stupid men, than there are smart or stupid women.

The Double X chromosome makes sure that women are more towards the average baseline human template.

The Y Chromosome is natures test bed for change.

To say that the Y chromosome is "Dying" because it passes genes onto the X chromosome, is to be completely ignorant of how the sex chromosomes work.

The dude in that article is talking out of his [snip]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join