It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire U.S. Stealth Fighter Fleet Grounded

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
la2

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

we have never lost a harrier in combat, unsure bout the tornado, but i would assume its a very small number, it is worth pointing out that the only deaths suffered by the European allies were the ones caused by US 'friendly fire'.

I am an admirer of what America has achieved, but dont be foolish in adopting this attitude that everyone else is worthless, thats why the world hates you!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

yeah billions spent on rcs and reducing the thermal heat signatures of aircraft

radar is only part of the equation or do missles just fire with a radar lock?

they do make those things called heat seekers.
edit on 11-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by la2

thanks for reminding me of a parlimentary hearing i onced watched about the iff system

seems to me the good ole british government didnt see it fit to spend the money on the iff identification friend or foe system.

any technology any country has depends on the poltical climate hell we dont have anything near what we could have if it wasnt for the politicians.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Are we really going to get into a pissing contest about who invented the better stuff?

If you want to get down to it 2 cavemen made the biggest inventions in the world. Controlable fire and the wheel.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

yeah billions spent on rcs and reducing the thermal heat signatures of aircraft

radar is only part of the equation or do missles just fire with a radar lock?

they do make those things called heat seekers.
edit on 11-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

missiles.. rockets.. hmmmm Who invented the rocket... CHINA

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

China created a bottle rocket. I think Germany gets credit for the rocket.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
All aircraft have mechanical problems. Didn't Airbus recently ground its fleet after exploding engines/engine fires? Not to mention the faulty pitot tubes that brought down the Air France jet over the Atlantic.

Those who say no aircraft has mechanical problems that will ground the fleet at some point or another means you're an idiot.

Today's aircraft are VERY complex pieces of machinery. They aren't the old wood and canvas planes of yore.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
All aircraft have mechanical problems. Didn't Airbus recently ground its fleet after exploding engines/engine fires? Not to mention the faulty pitot tubes that brought down the Air France jet over the Atlantic.

Those who say no aircraft has mechanical problems that will ground the fleet at some point or another means you're an idiot.

Today's aircraft are VERY complex pieces of machinery. They aren't the old wood and canvas planes of yore.

Yes thats another thing.. worlds safest airline ... Quantas.. Australia
They don't skimp on maintenance.

Frankly American airlines scare the pants off me.
edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Is this something the military would really let our enemies know? I personally do not think so. I would think this would be classified. If this is just a ploy to launch a spying campaign against another country, I doubt anyone would fall for it. But I am starting to think that this is probably a true story, and shouldn't have been let out of the box. Given however our Air Force is still extremely capable of defending our skies...I know this for a fact considering I was SS in the USAF, and have seen some cool stuff. I never got to see any Raptors though...

It's not like other countries don't know what to look for on radar to identify a stealth plane in their airspace...It doesn't really matter though, because most countries could not keep up speed-wise. Either way you slice it, this is a weird scenario when thinking of the reasoning and implications.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Could you stick to the topic or start a thread about American inferiority? The pissing match needs to stop and is completely irrelevant to the topic. I know someone disagreed with you and that must have been hard.

Same to everyone else.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
Is this something the military would really let our enemies know? I personally do not think so. I would think this would be classified. If this is just a ploy to launch a spying campaign against another country, I doubt anyone would fall for it. But I am starting to think that this is probably a true story, and shouldn't have been let out of the box. Given however our Air Force is still extremely capable of defending our skies...I know this for a fact considering I was SS in the USAF, and have seen some cool stuff. I never got to see any Raptors though...

It's not like other countries don't know what to look for on radar to identify a stealth plane in their airspace...It doesn't really matter though, because most countries could not keep up speed-wise. Either way you slice it, this is a weird scenario when thinking of the reasoning and implications.

Stealth technology was compromised years ago.

Wasnt it also discovered that weather satelites can detect them ?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The reason the Harrier is still one of the best VTOL planes out there and the F-35 cannot replicate it is because it actually requires FLYING SKILLS to fly a VTOL. Ask any Harrier pilot what kind of skill it takes.

The F-35 tries to "computerise" the actual skill, the Harrier is not computerised on the vertical stage and the pilot actually has to fly it.

Putting an American in a VTOL is like asking them to drive a manual stick car..

edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This is some of the best news I've heard all week.

Phase One complete; now to ensure the rest of the World's military planes are grounded and then it's onto Phase Two: ensure the World's Navies are skuttled; and then onto Phase Three, to ensure that the remaining military hardware is inoperable and that ballistic weapons become flaccid and unable to fire.

Following on will be Phase Four: ensuring the sterility of all the World's military service people so they cannot breed.

Now, THAT would be something grand.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
This is some of the best news I've heard all week.

Phase One complete; now to ensure the rest of the World's military planes are grounded and then it's onto Phase Two: ensure the World's Navies are skuttled; and then onto Phase Three, to ensure that the remaining military hardware is inoperable and that ballistic weapons become flaccid and unable to fire.

Following on will be Phase Four: ensuring the sterility of all the World's military service people so they cannot breed.

Now, THAT would be something grand.

The Day the Earth Stood Still comes to mind lol

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
US makes junk and the new stealth fighters are worthless pieces of crap? Blah, Blah, Blah! Same old same old. I have seen documentaries about the new stealth fighters, and they seem quite impression. For me personally, I would not want to be in a dog fight with them or an opposing country getting bombed by them. As one poster noted, this could be disinformation?

Perhaps, the brilliant minds in Washington are finally reading the tea leaves and following the cues from China? They have been steadily increasing the harsh rhetoric and militarily testing things in the Pacific from encroaching in other nation's territorial waters, the flaps over the Spratleys with Vietnam and the Philippines, and most recently the sea trials with its new aircraft carrier. Maybe this report of the stealth contingent being grounded is a smoke and mirrors campaign against China and any other enemy wishing to try its hand? Or it could just be technical problems as pointed out in the article?

As far as I know, these aircraft are still in the developmental and testing phases? Furthermore, I don't think China's or Russia's stealth fighters are operational or deployable at the moment either? My guess is that there are still some kinks that need to be worked out and some fine tuning. This is a relatively new technology for the medium in which it is being applied. With that, cost over runs and technical problems are only natural. Plus, we don't know what problems China or Russia is having with theirs because the two nations are quite tight lipped when it comes to failure. As an example, recently, China had that high speed train collision and they did their best to keep it quite and control the style and tempo of the story.

The politics of China’s high-speed train wreck

The Ministry of Railways in Bejing then promised a “serious” and “honest” investigation. Communist party officials immediately undermined that pledge by instructing Chinese media not to report the matter aggressively but rather “to use ‘in the face of great tragedy, there’s great love’” as the major theme. “Do not question. Do not elaborate. Do not associate.”

Some have been jumping the gun lately with the virulent hate the US campaign, and yes the US has a horrible fiscal situation. It has experienced its first credit downgrade. Then, it has spineless politicians who are no more useful than a bunch of empty suits. Still, I would reckon other countries are experiencing more or less the same thing at the moment both economically and politically. The evidence is plastered all over the news. In regards to the US stealth grounding, they are still working out the kinks and reigning in the excessive costs. That is my guess. Remember these fighter aircraft are still in the testing and development phase, and just as China's and Russia's stealth fighter are. There is no real competition on the world stage at the moment in terms of this warfare tactic, but that could change if the US does not work out its shortfalls with these aircraft?
edit on 11-8-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
We still have the F-15, now if TPTB took half the money they dumped into the Raptor into upgrading the existing F-15s with thrust vectoring, the raptors radar and engine, the helmet fire control system from the F-35. man fagitabout it. The old girl is getting on up there in age but look at the career of the B-52, no one thought it could survive in the modern battlefield and just look at her now. With some advanced jamming equipment you wouldn`t need a stealth fighter. Maybe im a little biased because i got to talk to an Eagle driver the other day and he said(of course) that in an F-15 would have no problems taking on a Mig-35 or Su-37. On paper the russian planes look menacing but in the air they are pretty evenly matched. He went on to talk about how far the AIM-9X has come and how unreliable the russian fire control system and missles are. Yeah the Su-37 COULD fly circles around an F-15 but it would have to get close, he did tell me that a tactic for dealing with the cobra manuver is to have the enemy locked up with a AIM-9X and fire it at the right time, (he was demonstrating with his hands which im doing now you just cant see me)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive;" - Sun Tzu

Seems odd to find a story saying our entire stealth fleet is grounded...

BINGO, if the fleet was truly grounded it would be Way Top Top Above Top Secret and you wouldn't be reading it here.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by la2

Unfortunately your wrong about not losing a harrier in combat
January 28 - An AV-8B Harrier II is shot down by anti-aircraft artillery (AAA). The pilot (Captain Michael C. Berryman) is captured. He was released on March 6.
February 9 - An AV-8B Harrier II is shot down by a surface-to-air missile. The pilot (Captain Russell A.C. Sanborn) is captured. He was released on March 6.
February 23 - An AV-8B Harrier II is shot down by a surface-to-air missile. The pilot (Captain James N. Wilborn) is killed and his body was later recovered
February 27 - An AV-8B Harrier II is shot down by anti-aircraft artillery (AAA). The pilot (Captain Reginald Underwood) is killed and his body was later recovered.

source
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Lady the USMC flies the AV-8B and they are damn good at what they do.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join