It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire U.S. Stealth Fighter Fleet Grounded

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Entire U.S. Stealth Fighter Fleet Grounded

www.wired.com

In past few decades, the U.S. Air Force has spent untold billions researching and developing a family of stealth fighter jets that are supposed to be generations ahead of any dogfighters in the sky.

But after building more than 170 F-22 Raptors and a handful of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, not a single one is available for service. The Air Force currently has zero flyable stealth fighters. None.

The vaunted F-22 has been grounded with a possible faulty oxygen system since May. Production of the last few Raptors is even on hold, because the jets can’t fly from the factory.

Last week,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
$382 BILLION dollars in cost and rising for paperweights. Wonderful. This is not the firs time these planes have been grounded either, it appears to be happening quite often. Of course I want the US to be superior in the skies and be the leading superpower but damn we need to get out act together. I'd rather have every hungry and sick person in this country taken care of than a bunch of grounded jets sitting their not even flight capable.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Don't worry, Canada is buying a boatload of F-35s!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ahh yes, good old "Made in the USA" quality. merchandise.

So, hands up who wanted to buy American?

Do yourselves a favour, and buy either Russian or European planes, far more realiable.

edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive;" - Sun Tzu

Seems odd to find a story saying our entire stealth fleet is grounded...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
One more example of erroneous government spending, this was a known malfunction and still they have been kept in the air and in production, as you said OP Paperweights, because no one is going to Reduce Recycle and Re-appropriate in the military spending arena, so they will sit and slowly suck up more money as the appropriate repairs are made. There is an old saying about owning boats and houses "Just holes in the ground/water you throw money into." Seems the government has adopted the same motto for its toys. Oh Star for you for the post

edit on 11-8-2011 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2011 by LanternOfDiogenes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Its cause they realized that drone stealth fighters are easier to make with their reduced size and power requirements.

These large manned versions are dinosaurs now. Im sure even what they learned from design aspects of stealth is useless to... do to advancements in meta materials...

I cant assume everyone that works on weapons systems for the goverment is as smart as me... so ill give them a pass on wasting so much money.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
How is that good old Academic - Industrial - Military - Complex. working for you

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Yeah I'm pretty sure the issue is that the planes were poorly designed. They certainly are not obsolete yet. Give it a few years and maybe.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Yeah I'm pretty sure the issue is that the planes were poorly designed. They certainly are not obsolete yet. Give it a few years and maybe.

Yeah, the stealth fighter..... One of the most advanced jets with one of the most advanced computer systems in the world... Such an awful design....

look, machines are just machines..... Sometimes they break... We have to fix them.......

Having to maintain a machine does not mean it is a piece of crap

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Yeah, the stealth fighter..... One of the most advanced jets with one of the most advanced computer systems in the world... Such an awful design....

look, machines are just machines..... Sometimes they break... We have to fix them.......

Having to maintain a machine does not mean it is a piece of crap

Perhaps it was too overcomplex? You don't see this problem with Russian hardware do you?

And as for verstility, look to European hardware, they have roads that turn into runways, they have planes that can land on your driveway.

One thing that will beat the most fancy hardware in the world,... TACTICS, this was demonstrated greatly in the Balkan war.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

$382 BILLION dollars in cost and rising for paperweights. Wonderful. This is not the firs time these planes have been grounded either, it appears to be happening quite often. Of course I want the US to be superior in the skies and be the leading superpower but damn we need to get out act together. I'd rather have every hungry and sick person in this country taken care of than a bunch of grounded jets sitting their not even flight capable.

Yea yea. The F-22’s were warmed up in their hangers frozen Alaskan environment and the CO2 was sucked back into the engines, where they enter the bleed air intakes that supply the OBOGS. This was figured out months ago. But the Democrats want to cut the balls off our birds so they can spend more money buying votes from the illegal aliens crossing the borders and fatten up their wallets. You want to get some money for the poor, here you go.
Salary of retired US Presidents .............$180,000 FOR LIFE
Salary of House/Senate .......................$174,00​0 FOR LIFE
Salary of Speaker of the House ............$223,500 FOR LIFE
Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders ...... $193,400 FOR LIFE
Average Salary of a teacher ................ $40,065
Average Salary of Soldier DEPLOYED IN AFGHANISTAN $38,000

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I wonder....did everyone in the world already know the United States was basically crippled in offensive action right now or did the Administration help our enemies with a news flash they may not have been aware of before? Thanks....The world really needed to know we have no offensive capabilities at all right now where we don't already own the airspace. I'm sure it really helps to spread the information far and wide.

Maybe the people behind this little announcement can take a a suggestion and wait until AFTER the stand-down has passed before giving public details of every aspect of it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
yeah ok whatever

seems all that advances and tactful europeans couldnt take on one african leader in libya without the us

i love how us tech gets trash talked and russian and european crap gets put on a pedstal.

blah blah

they are grounded cause hey gotta pay for all those entitlements somehow and hey the current government is looking out for you with their walmart tech at walmart prices all in the name of "Free Crap" and put millions out of work and destroy a trillion dollar industry.
"

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
yeah ok whatever

seems all that advances and tactful europeans couldnt take on one african leader in libya without the us

i love how us tech gets trash talked and russian and european crap gets put on a pedstal.

blah blah

they are grounded cause hey gotta pay for all those entitlements somehow and hey the current government is looking out for you with their walmart tech at walmart prices all in the name of "Free Crap" and put millions out of work and destroy a trillion dollar industry.
"

Funny, it was the Tornado doing all the grunt work in the Gulf war.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I'm OK with teachers getting paid personally. Education is important etc.

How is grounding the airplanes going to win votes from illegal immigrants? Is that a huge point of contention with them? That the US has stealth fighters? Illegal aliens can vote?

Fix planes patrol border with them. Hard to outrun a jet.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
and now they lost an second falcon...

www.nu.nl...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

funny how the f-117 did all the grunt work in bosnia and gulf war 1 and 2 and afghanistan and alot of other aircraft

all made in the usa.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by JennaDarling

funny how the f-117 did all the grunt work in bosnia and gulf war 1 and 2 and afghanistan and alot of other aircraft

all made in the usa.

Funny how simple TACTICS evaded that high tech in the Balkan war.

kosova.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join