It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pitch-black exoplanet found

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

ODDBALL EXOPLANET IS DARKER THAN COAL

A planet orbiting a distant star is darker than coal, reflecting less than one percent of the starlight falling on it, according to a paper published on Thursday.

The strange world, TrES-2b, is a gas giant the size of Jupiter, rather than a solid, rocky body like Earth or Mars, astronomers said.

It closely orbits the star GSC 03549-02811, located about 750 light years away in the direction of the constellation of Draco the Dragon.

"TrES-2b is considerably less reflective than black acrylic paint, so it's truly an alien world," David Kipping of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics said in a press release issued by Britain's Royal Astronomical Society (RAS).
DiscoveryNews

So this planet must be weird place, imagine totally black and really hot place. It's faint red glow makes it look like burning ember. Scientists are still wondering how this planet can be so dark. Light-absorbing chemicals like vaporized sodium and potassium or iron oxide in its atmosphere are not enough to make this planet so dark.
Its mystery.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Oh I bet there are planets out there that would turn our world of physics inside out, sideways and whatever else.. Just think that the only real true information about space that we have as a model is our own solar system and we don't even truly know everything about our solar system yet.. can you imagine what else is out there in the billions of other galaxy's? I seriously start to get light headed sometimes thinkin about it. Good post!
edit on 11-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

The fact that this planet only reflects 1% of the light that falls on it isn't the interesting part. Stars, for example, reflect almost negligible amounts of light, making them effective black bodies. What's interesting is that this planet can absorb 99% of the light that falls on it without emitting vast amounts of its own light.
My assumption would be that this is about as fine a line as we can draw between dwarf stars and regular stars. Dwarfs approach black bodies, going from red to brown, without emitting much light of their own, and stars are effective black bodies, re-emitting almost none of the light that falls on them, while emitting vast amounts of their own. This "planet" would appear to be in the middle, or perhaps a combination of the two - it re-emits almost no light, and emits almost no light of its own. That, again I would assume, would make it the most effective known black body in the universe, short of the CMB.
Impressive.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I'm just wondering...but are these the same folks who have said the idea of a dark planet cruising through our neighborhood is a ridiculous idea? Funny they should find another example that fits the bill in some far distant star system. Are they still so positive it's impossible to have one in this corner of the Milky Way?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by Thebel

The fact that this planet only reflects 1% of the light that falls on it isn't the interesting part. Stars, for example, reflect almost negligible amounts of light, making them effective black bodies. What's interesting is that this planet can absorb 99% of the light that falls on it without emitting vast amounts of its own light.
My assumption would be that this is about as fine a line as we can draw between dwarf stars and regular stars. Dwarfs approach black bodies, going from red to brown, without emitting much light of their own, and stars are effective black bodies, re-emitting almost none of the light that falls on them, while emitting vast amounts of their own. This "planet" would appear to be in the middle, or perhaps a combination of the two - it re-emits almost no light, and emits almost no light of its own. That, again I would assume, would make it the most effective known black body in the universe, short of the CMB.
Impressive.

I actually thought about that after I posted when I gave it deeper thought good speculations, but obviously a speculation is only as good at face value, but still a good one at that... or like I was saying before what if that's just the beginning of the physical capabilities of that planet.. that would be truly amazing either way

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Something absorbing that much light over time and still dark... that's stunning. Wonder what sort of unusual materials make up its atmosphere? Wish we had some sort of interstellar travel

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
very very interesting, thanks for posting. I love hearing about things they find -- it really puts in perspective on how little of an idea we have on how things work.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Wow...great just when i was about to drop the nibiru fable...

"However, it's not completely pitch black. It's so hot that it emits a faint red glow, much like a burning ember or the coils on an electric stove."

Nibiru, the red planet????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8d717ff3900b.jpg[/atsimg]

It closely orbits the star GSC 03549-02811, located about 750 light years away in the direction of the constellation of Draco the Dragon.

Anunaki the reptilian overloads????

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/15160a2d718d.jpg[/atsimg]

Supposed, three UFO's spotted near the SUN.

Looks like our friends wanna pay us a visit.
edit on 11-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Must be a DIAMOND PLANET! That also exist somewhere out in the galaxy Oh know it!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
So, we have a "planet" that is made up solely of gas, there is nothing solid about it ( much like our spirit when we die and it's no longer encased by our body, nothing solid about it), is blacker than black except for the darkly shining red that resembles the embers of a fire, is in the same general vicinity as the constellation draco the Dragon, and it's hotter than.................ladies and gentleman.......weclome to Hell.

Now, where's heaven.

That was for all you bible thumpers out there, for all you necromancers and belivers of the more ancient texts, from which the bible seemed to "paraphrase"
, see innerpeace2012. He's got it going on.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Taupin Desciple because: Clarity

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Perhaps, the planet itself is a massive artificial SOLAR PANEL...of course as a result of advanced technology beyond our imagination.

That could explain why we have 3 supposed UFO near the sun, pretty much, refueling I would like to speculate.

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Let's further speculate, so draco's = demon, come here to enslave humanity and basically take our souls back to "nibiru" or as Taupin clearly outlined, hell.

So "let's create heaven on earth shall we"...REVOLUTION

Anyone know a better way we can zap them gecko's back to hell???

Peace....

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
And a planet 750 light years away simply cannot be visually imaged, so they are trying to explain something they cannot image! All they can detect visually is a very slight dimming of it's star as the planet orbits it, they can't see the planet, in fact zero exoplanets have actually been imaged, zero!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Well...I know of at least four.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Waaaaiiit a minute. Thats no moon! It's a space station! I got a bad feeling about this. Chewey! Put er into hyper drive!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I know EXACTLY what they are gonna find on this planet in the future.

QUICK SOMEONE CLONE RIPLEY!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Ah yes, I forgot about that one in particular. It is infrared though, but at least an image, not one we can see, but it is a visual image.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

You seem to not have a concept of how far this place is.

750 light years = approximately 50,000 AU. Earth to Sun is 1 AU.
Nearest Star is approximately 4 LY away.
This black planet is 187.5 times further away than our nearest star.

For this to be Nibiru it would need to be in orbit of OUR star, not this other star - but if it "somehow" orbited between two stars each 750 LY years away?

It would take 750 years for this planet to get here at the speed of light. Which is practically impossible.

The fastest planet in orbit of our sun is Mercury. Orbiting at 29.42 mile a second. It would take 152,485.8 years to complete a one-way journey between two points (moving separately in space mind you, but we assume it is standing still.) In short, it would pass earth once every 254,971.6 years.

Assuming it was going any faster to match up to the 'time frame' of Nibiru? It would fly past the sun on its merry way into space. Hell, Mercury would fly past the sun on it's merry little way if it was going as fast as it is - but in a deep long-period elliptical...

For Nibiru to be "here" by the end of 2012 - it would need to already be a very bright dot in our sky. Even if it faintly glowed red and was mostly black - it would already be so close you could see it by any means available to civilians.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

Good day Foxe,

I hope you understand my wild speculations correctly.
I presented my theory, in a sarcastic manner.

Read between the lines, it's pure speculation based around the idea of Nibiru and the so called annunaki.

If you noticed I mentioned, about a supposed 3 three UFO spotted near the sun, refer to link above. And I theorize, that the draconian aka reptilian humanoids come here on there ships rather than on Nibiru itself.
Hence, it becomes obvious the planet cannot travel 750 lights years to reach us by 2012. And I never mentioned that either.

What we have got here is evidence that the said exoplanets amazingly fit the descriptions of the infamous NIBURU exists, who would have taught.

It was pure speculations than. And thus, I shared my thoughts, of course in a sarcastic manner

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Very interesting read and discovery, thanks OP. At least now we know what planet Wesley Snipes came from. The Darkness!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join