It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are Some MAJOR Discrepancies in the Orbit Projections of ELEnin

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ive been following the Elenin threads and so many people are just so sure that there is no need for concern. Those same people quote reference to Nasa and many other sources when they argue their point. Now we are starting to see errors in that very same information that is used to push the " nothing to see here" side of the argument and what do we get with it?...ah, just ignore that, they tweaked it a bit, that diagram is wrong and it still wont cause any damage.

Seems to me when the evidence suits its infallable , when it dosnt suit its " Just ignore that"

respects

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Backslider
How can these results be from the same day when the last Elenin observation was 8/02?

I thought they just found it last December 10?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

I remember an orbital path which showed us going through the tail immediately after passing us. Sorry I can't be of more help.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
reply to post by 31Bravo

So they accurately determine the trajectory of hundreds of thousands of other objects, but when it comes to Elenin they say screw it?

Oh come on it was a joke.. I mean how many ELEnin threads are we going to have though seriously? Isn't it supposed to hit us in a few months? I vote we just wait.. that's really all I was gettin to in a humorous sort of way.. no offense meant towards anyone.

P.S. the answer to your question though seriously is yes.. maybe they really are busy with other things like CME's from the sun or real asteroids they haven't told us about.. you just never will know.
edit on 11-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective

Oh and before I hear the old, "they just tweeked the orbit based on new information." note the distances. One says 0.463 and one says 0.234. that is a difference of 34,257,942 km. That is hardly "tweeking." That is a MASSIVE difference.

What's 2+2? And don't tell me it's 4...I don't like that answer.

That is a huge difference when you put it in kilometers like that. But, that's just 0.229 AU - a 49.46% change. That's a perfectly reasonable change in orbital calculations for a comet that had only been observed for 3 months as of March.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Okay I went to your NASA Buzzroom link and I'm more confused now than I was. Perhaps you can address this, since it is a link you've given us. On that page it says the distance estimate was revised downward from .24 AU to 0.0004617. Now, the moon is .0024-.0026 AU, so move everything over a decimal point to get .00046 and ..I'm not mathematician here...but doesn't that put the comet right into or skimming our own Atmosphere??

I'd love a solid link on this with solid facts...given the stakes if any of this is remotely accurate, it's real critical we start getting straight facts and not NASA's double talk and B.S.. I've gotten the distinct impression NASA would love to just go back to saying the thing doesn't exist at all if they could. So...is it a close pass or do we get to see a comet in our own backyards?

edit on 11-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I have looked at the JPL information when I read about the news of the discovery of Elenin in December last year on the Wiki pages, and while they adjusted its orbit a little bit at the start it is almost identical now as it was in March. (A variation of 0.23 AU as the closest distance to Earth) ...so maybe you have looked at an error or faulty version of the site perhaps? I cant remember the layout changed either and the picture of the most recent date is the one I recognized

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Now correct me if Im wrong but a change in orbital distance of 45% means to my lay mind, a change in direction am I right in my thinking?...and if so and everyone is so sure it wont come close enough to do any harm due to their infallable calculations, when are there calculations going to be updated?

Respects

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Okay I went to your NASA Buzzroom link and I'm more confused now than I was. Perhaps you can address this, since it is a link you've given us. On that page it says the distance estimate was revised downward from .024 AU to 0.0004617.

You are confused because the video that wound up on NASA Buzzroom was a hoax. The distance was never revised down to 0.0004617 AU.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Take a look at the first pages of my Elenin thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Im not an expert. Java was enabled I take it.

S&F just because. just because.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Actually it is an hyperbolic orbit. Elenin has never been here before and will never return.

The JPL gizmo is a simulation, and often not too accurate. You know simulations? - also called models by climate scientists

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

Since we're talking about a very narrow part of Elenin's orbit, such a change (almost 50%) translates to an almost negligible change in direction. What it really means is that, at the position Elenin was in March, the orbital calculations were off by a fraction of a percent. At that distance, the change was minor, but, as Elenin got/gets closer to the Sun, the change becomes more significant - almost 50%.
This is the same principle that forms the basis of one of the more popular methods of altering the paths of near-Earth asteroids - a gentle nudge at the distance of Mars could mean the difference between an impact and a near miss.

Elenin's orbit has been observed for a long enough period now, however, to provide us with a much more accurate picture of that orbit. It's "close approach" can now be accurately calculated to the nearest kilometer (at least... and probably closer).

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thanks for the response. I figured something had to be way out of whack, although I've avoided most of this Elenin business because of this kind of thing. Everyone seems to be guessing with only a half pot full of facts to go from.

I believe I'll just go back to other topics. This one is still enough to give migraines for nothing and stress over guesswork.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Here is the Latest JPL NASA model. It HAS been adjusted to 0.234 AU. With the closest approach on Oct 16th!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Will this be as visible in the sky as Hale bopp? Because I remember seeing that andit was very cool.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Thankyou for your response, very much appreciated..

Respects

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime

Originally posted by trueperspective

Oh and before I hear the old, "they just tweeked the orbit based on new information." note the distances. One says 0.463 and one says 0.234. that is a difference of 34,257,942 km. That is hardly "tweeking." That is a MASSIVE difference.

What's 2+2? And don't tell me it's 4...I don't like that answer.

That is a huge difference when you put it in kilometers like that. But, that's just 0.229 AU - a 49.46% change. That's a perfectly reasonable change in orbital calculations for a comet that had only been observed for 3 months as of March.

Your right. 34,257,942km divided by 2.2 = 15,571,791.81miles. Or a Fifteen and a half Million mile change

I know, I know, you don't like that answer.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Nope, don't like it. Not one bit

34,257,942 km divided by 1.609344 equals 21,286,898.264 miles. That's even worse... a 21.3 million mile change.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I'd like to know who came onto the buzzroom claiming the .0004 distance to earth and how they got that calculation. Too bad NASA closed the buzzroom right after that comment, so we will never know who or how they got that figure. We will just have to trust the JPL that it is the real number.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join