It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

we saw a green fireball

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
hey folks, just looking for ideas to what this might have been. i dont have photos as it flew by our line of sight so quickly. a friend of ours, my wife, and myself, had just parked the car in front of the house. In the distance (approx 200 yards) we saw a green fireball shoot across the sky. From our vantage point, the object appeared to be about 5-10 meters in diameter, with a "tail" about 10-15 meters in length. It was approx 15-20 meters above ground. The trajectory was acute, meaning it looked as if it could have continued for a mile or so before reaching the ground.

I live in a rural area in Oklahoma, and NEVER get to see any ufo's.... so this was actually my first.

It went by so fast, and we were all like "did we just see that?" So of course, no photos, or even time to think about getting our phones out.

My question is, what do you guys and girls think it could have been? It was very cool to see, and I wish I could have been closer.

One other point to add, is that a friend came over about 30 minutes later, and mentioned a low flying helicopter about a mile down the road. It seemed to be looking for something. This was before we told him of our sighting, so there is some validation with us at least.

Has anyone seen anything similar? Or have links to videos of similar sightings?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Yeah I saw fireballs before.

They are heavily ionised (plasma) on entry.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Yeah, that happens at this time of the year.

It is a bit of the Peresid meteor shower. A bit that got further into the atmosphere.

If you look around, you'll find that there are more reports of "green fireballs" at this time of the year, and during the Leonids.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhc0329

I saw something similar in Chicago in 2003. A ghastly greenish ball, sparking madly, with a long tail behind it. It looked like a bad Ed Wood production of a meteorite. After a bit of research, I found that many people saw it that night and it was identified as a meteorite. What surprised me was learning that many meteorites appear greenish.

Given that the Perseid meteor shower will peak Friday evening, what you saw was probably a meteorite. Cool show, eh?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I would have gotten back in the car as fast as I could and drove off to see where it could have possibly landed lol. Maybe it was carrying some kind of extraterrestrial material.
edit on 11-8-2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: ...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yeah, back in 2008 I saw, and heard, green fireballs. I don't think that they are with the showers because they are green and not the usual blue/white. Different metal composition.

You will see more of these in the near future. Take a camera with you and record the sky, should be fun.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
My parents saw an orange/green fireball in Pennsylvania, summer of 1964.

It was the size of a passenger sedan and came quickly across the valley. They thought it was going to hit the hill behind the house that we lived in, but it increased its altitude and went over the hill.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

post by sirhc0329
Has anyone seen anything similar? Or have links to videos of similar sightings?

No , but I did start a thread a while back on Green fireballs and the speculation that surrounded them in the late forties early fifties , I found this quote from Edward J. Ruppelt, director of the USAF Project Blue Book UFO study particularly interesting .

visited Los Alamos National Laboratory to speak to scientists who had their own green fireball sighting ,None of them believed they had a conventional explanation , Instead the scientists speculated that they were extraterrestrial probes "projected into our atmosphere from a 'spaceship' hovering several hundred miles above the earth,Ruppelt commented "Two years ago I would have been amazed to hear a group of reputable scientists make such a startling statement. Now, however, I took it as a matter of course. I'd heard the same type of statement many times before from equally qualified groups."

Green fireball thread
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/baed3bde0e50.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 11-8-2011 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Put in your search engine something like Meteor Impact Saskatchewan.

There was one a couple of years ago that streaked over most of the Canadian Prairies and landed in a farmer's field in Saskatchewan.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not a Peresid, but lots of people saw it.

en.wikipedia.org... nice pic of one.
edit on 2011/8/11 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Our green fireball showed intelligence! It moved pass the car, coming from behind in a horizontal position. It followed the highway, about 20-30 meters above ground, the highway is elevated. It flew upwards to avoid the overpass.
Do not try to tell me that what my husband, me, and my brother and his wife who was driving behind us saw, was a meteorite!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Let me just suggest a possibility that I am not qualified to test.

"Green" fireballs have high iron content. The iron coming in at that speed should pick up energy, like a dynamo. Making the entire meteorite magnetic, possibly just during flight and for a short while afterwards.

Therefore it displays odd behaviour in relationship to metal containing objects - like a bridge.

So, perhaps your observation isn't wrong. Just your assumption of intelligence.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I do understand what you're saying, but it did not avoid the metal, it avoided the hill next to the bridge. It was, and I'm taking a guess, about 15m away from the highway to our right. It flew over some shacks (South Africa). We saw it coming from behind at least 500m, before it passed the car. It caught my husbands attention, through the side mirror.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I've seen something like this myself.... On a camping trip in Galveston Texas. I couldn't sleep and went outside the tent.... It was beautiful. I could see more starts that night than I have ever seen before.

Then, What seemed to be really close was what almost looked like a green fire work shot across the sky. It broke apart into a bunch of small pieces making it look like a small green fire work. Only it was going horizontally.

Very pretty. I just always assumed it was a meteorite, that broke up in the atmosphere and the green color came from the burning of...what ever kind of material it was made of.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by madleo
reply to post by Aeons

I do understand what you're saying, but it did not avoid the metal, it avoided the hill next to the bridge. It was, and I'm taking a guess, about 15m away from the highway to our right. It flew over some shacks (South Africa). We saw it coming from behind at least 500m, before it passed the car. It caught my husbands attention, through the side mirror.

madleo- That was one of the most exciting UFO stories I ever heard about!!

One question- Did the fiery green UFO, display any kind of fiery tail? Can you give me a rough estimate of the size of the fireball?

Thanks,

Erno86

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Years ago I was driving from the San Fran bay area up to Eureka California. Very late at night along a very rural area of route 101. We suddenly had a very bright (lit up the whole night sky) light that lasted about 3 seconds. Like a green meteor (I'm guessing) had blown up. In our case it pretty much seemed to explode, not just streak across the sky.
About a year ago I captured this picture www.flickr.com...@N00/4616263772/, that shows something green travel across the sky. Still no idea in either case what they are.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I saw one this morning, too.
I've been getting up at 3:30 AM each day for the last few days, and was seeing so many "shooting stars" I thought there must be a meteor shower and looked it up. Sure enough! Then this morning I saw one of those low green balls and read that it is part of the meteor phenomena.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I've seen 2 green bolides this year flying overhead at night. Very startling at first but once you realize what it is, it's quite beautiful.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I saw one that was low enough (slow too!) to light up the ground and create shadows on the ground when it was behind the treetops.

Mine didn't do anything special, though. About the size of a cabbage ball held at arms length. This was in southern Arkansas and it was flying in a westerly direction.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I see these too, for me..they'll sit up in the sky for hours, sometimes it seems as if they're following me. Def. not a meteorite

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I had one fire up some low level cumulus just after dark one night last year and the entire segment of cloud cover lit up bright green. Saw the bolide just for a split second as it passed between a couple of small spaces in the clouds...beautiful sight, wished the clouds weren't there tho...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join