It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas man kills black bear possibly seeking water .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Texas man kills black bear possibly seeking water .

www.kens5.com

MOUNTAIN HOME, Texas (AP) -- A South Texas man who lives on a private wildlife preserve has shot and killed a black bear that wandered on to the land apparently seeking water.

J. Whittenburg V said Thursday it's "unbelievable how many varmints and critters are coming out of the woodwork" seeking food and water during the drought.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This truly breaks my heart. Why would someone shoot a (very rare in Central Texas) 100 lb. black bear cub, that was not doing anything but heading for a water hole in the midst of a record drought.

I am from TX, and I do not believe that 99% +++ of landowners here would do such a thing.

I hope to see further news that "he felt threatened" was not believed by the judge and that he is being prosecuted for being a dumb a$$.

www.kens5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ETA: It's possible that the reporters, as they often do, may have left out details, like the bear cub was threatening the dogs or the landowner. But a 100 lb bear cub almost always wants to avoid contact unless being harassed or starving or dying of thirst. If the facts are duly reported we will soon find out.
edit on 11-8-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: more info & opinion

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I sure hope the guy enjoyed the kill...

Black bears are endangered in Texas and, as such, are afforded the highest level of protection. I imagine this guy will be on the receiving end of a hefty fine and possibly face felony charges as well.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

I wasn't sure what to make of this, then I read the article in detail. Poor little guy...for some reason this story hits an emotional nerve for me. The little bear may have made it 150 miles...one paw in front of the other...so this redneck moron could put a bullet into it. $10,000 fines are NOT enough. A couple years in one of the finer establishments in Huntsville sounds a lot closer to what I want to see done.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
We took a family trip to Big Bend National Park in August 08, and saw the first Black Bear we had ever seen in Texas, while driving down from the Basin.

It was probably 200-250 lbs, but definitely did not hang around for long. It looked back one time while I was taking pics from the car, and got away as fast as possible.

They are shy, and don't want contact with people or dogs.

I suspect the "Rifleman" will not reflect on his "big game kill" very fondly.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings
I am from TX, and I do not believe that 99% +++ of landowners here would do such a thing.

...do you know why the bear, puma and wolf populations have been descimated in texas?... because your belief about texans is wrong...

I hope to see further news that "he felt threatened" was not believed by the judge and that he is being prosecuted for being a dumb a$$.

...so you've judged him guilty even though you have limited knowledge of the event... well, isnt that special...

ETA: It's possible that the reporters, as they often do, may have left out details, like the bear cub was threatening the dogs or the landowner. But a 100 lb bear cub almost always wants to avoid contact unless being harassed or starving or dying of thirst. If the facts are duly reported we will soon find out.

...thats a little better but i question your knowledge of bears...

...the man was on a private game reserve, which is not always a "protected haven" for critters... some of our biggest trophy hunting ranches are a private game reserve...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
"My God! It's comin' right for us!"

Bang!

Clip linky: www.southparkstudios.com...

I apologize if it seems offensive... but since the episode clip includes a black bear I couldn't resist.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

...do you know why the bear, puma and wolf populations have been descimated in texas?... because your belief about texans is wrong...

Most law-abiding Texans don't want to face a $10,000 fine, jail time etc for killing an endangered species: TXPWD PDF
If they did they probably wouldn't own "game preserves" any more.

...thats a little better but i question your knowledge of bears...

...the man was on a private game reserve, which is not always a "protected haven" for critters... some of our biggest trophy hunting ranches are a private game reserve...

Then let me help you educate yourself, through ready resources at TX Parks & Wildlife:

Black Bears are not as dangerous as some people think. For one thing, most of their diet is vegetation, so they may pose less of a threat to livestock than some other predators. And like most animals, they will seldom approach people.

The Black Bear, Ursus americanus, is on the state endangered species list. TPWD biologists encourage people to report recent bear sightings to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. Research is currently underway by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to determine the status of Black Bears in Texas. A study is also underway in East Texas to determine habitat suitability in that part of the state.
TXPWD Link

They don't say "shoot the baby bear then call us", they say "call us and we'll help you deal with the bear.

Private game ranches still have to obey state law on endangered species.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I would have brought him into my house to play with the dogs.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
"Possibly seeking water"? Give me a break!

This is green propaganda plain and simple. No, I'm not happy this bear got killed, but in the real world things don't always work out all fluffy bunny stuff. Maybe we should take his guns huh?

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

This is green propaganda plain and simple. No, I'm not happy this bear got killed, but in the real world things don't always work out all fluffy bunny stuff. Maybe we should take his guns huh?

Peace
I would say absolutely take his guns away.Why would you shoot a little 100 lB CUB.The guy weighed 250 lbs. .

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen, I know.
Big Bend TX black bear encounter, 08-08. He couldn't wait to get a away from the road and people. The whole sighting was maybe 10-15 seconds:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

What does the weight of the bear have to do with anything? It still has claws and teeth, and if it's desperate for anything, it's actions can be unpredictable.

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Do you have any idea of the extent of the record drought in TX, and what animals (and people/some cities for that matter) are going through to try to get water so they can survive???

Or are you being sarcastic/joking???

I hope for the latter.

What does the weight of the bear have to do with anything? It still has claws and teeth, and if it's desperate for anything, it's actions can be unpredictable.

Well be more worried about cats, dogs and coyotes. Get real please!!!
edit on 11-8-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Yes, I live in the drought area. It's hotter than hell.

The article title says "possibly seeking water". That means the people who wrote it are guessing at what the bear was doing. Great journalism.

Peace

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Oh no he shot Smokey!

No tears for dead bears.

Talk about a manipulative spin on a nothing story.

Heartbroken for Bears? For serious?

Full disclosure; bears scare the crapola out of me.
edit on 11/8/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
reply to post by brindle

Peace

The guy wasnt attacked.You cant go around shooting for no reason.Animals need love .

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Big Bend TX black bear encounter, 08-08. He couldn't wait to get a away from the road and people. The whole sighting was maybe 10-15 seconds:

...nice pics... proves nothing about the case being discussed though...

...back in the 90s, when i was a route runner for valero, i encountered a fully grown female puma about 20miles west of freer (which is purty much in the middle of nowhere)... made my heart pound and its a wonder i didnt mess up my panties, lol... no harm done - but - it couldve gone the other way too cuz, as the luv doctor pointed out, wild animals are unpredictable...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I'm in Kentucky and I know for a fact that when something comes out of the woods that people aren't used to seeing around here, the first thing most people do is grab their shotguns. It saddens me deeply.

However, I'm happy to say that there have been MANY black bear sightings around here lately (before the last ten years or so, bears were completely unheard of around here) and to my knowledge, none of them have been shot. Let's hope it stays that way. My neighbor SWEARS she saw a black panther in her yard less than a week ago. I know those people well. They have many guns, but they didn't try to kill it. Knowing how they are, that gives me a little hope. I do wonder how many people have shot and killed animals and not talked about it though, in fear that they would somehow get in trouble. People around here try to look so big and bad, but their first reaction to something beyond the norm is usually to shoot and kill out of fear. I hope that the recent increase in bear sightings is a sign that people are starting to get over it and just let things live.

I feel so bad for the bear in Texas. Live and let live, people!
edit on 8/11/2011 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
....Animals need love .

Fair enough, I agree, but that has nothing to do with this. It's a wild bear, and even at 100 lbs., it'll still mess you up.

It's an unfortunate reality.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join