It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible that all religions sprang from God?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Remember, way back to the beginning. We were all one people with one faith, well as in the days of Noah they didnt care enough to believe in God anymore, they became anathema and apathetic which was why God destroyed them. Again after It all restarted with Noah, all religions sprang frim his sons families and somehow got changed or corrupted.

I think the ancient Greeks forgot that there was only One God, and that everything under him was not God, but were servants and messengers (helios,hermes etc.) which accounts for hades and the elysian fields. Hades being Hell, and the Elysian fields being Abrahams Bosom (it wasnt called abrahams bosom at first, but its where all the believers who beileved the savior would come went to rest after death).

Egypt at one time had only One God, and he was named Aten. Ahkenaten (Tutankhamun's father) closed all the temples of the false gods in egypt and instituted a One God religion which ultimately failed (due to politics and the priests running the country through the multi-god religion). It is widely believed by scholars today that Aten was probably one of the lost names of God, probably an old religion of God that Ahkenaten tried to take his people back to in an age of superstition and strife.

The Norse had a multi-god religion, however like Zeus, they had a "King God" called Woden (Odin). They most likely were another people who forgot that there was only one God and because the beings he commanded had powers beyond that of mortal men, the norse thought then that they too were gods. Another similarity between norse mythology and christianity were the valkyrie whom were winged female warriors, sometimes with firey swords who would take fallen warriors to the Great Hall where they would await the last battle, so very similar to christianities Armageddon and how the lord will return with the saints and the armies of heaven for a last climactic battle against evil.

All these religions sprang from one faith. The faith of the One True God. The God of many names. Yahweh,El,Jehovah,Yeshua,Allah, and perhaps Aten,Odin and Zeus were among those names at one time, long before the Greeks,Norse and Egyptians forgot that there was only One God. Maybe that, even the hindu god Vishnu could have been a name among those many names? It makes logical sense when you think about how we all came from the same line of men and how we are all just distant cousins that go back 1000 generations or more?

Think on that. As an Archeologist, it is my life mission to prove this theory. Maybe, it was after the tower of Babel's fall when God split us up and mixed up the languages when the shift began.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
i think the better question here is: how could it be possible that all religions didn't spring from god!
but in all seriousness, absolutely, almost every religion comes from the same root story, each only having a piece of the puzzle. i believe the intention of this would be for mankind to come together and put all the pieces together, but instead each of the religious centers believes that their puzzle piece was the only one, and all the other pieces were wrong. and look where we are now..
edit on 8/11//11 by superstatue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Everyone see's something in different languages. We're lost in translation. But yes and no. All beliefs are not exactly the same but are inspire by G-d to test people on their faith toward Hashem G-d. Yes, I have my own views and I sound crazy! Interesting view OP. I do not believe we all believe in the same 'God'. Since I believe in the Oneness of G-d and that no man is God or G-d cannot become man.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

If you are asking whether it is possible that all religions that exist today came from the same root religion, I don't entirely disagree with the idea. There are certainly some religions that do not share any aspect of the most prominent religions, like Scientology, Jediism and even Pastafarianism (which has been officially recognized as a religion in UK, if my memory serves). In the hundreds of thousands of religions that exist today, I am certain that many of them were created with the sole intention of deviating from the root one. But all the other ones? Sure, why not.

And since you claim to be an archeologist, allow me to hijack your thread a little for my own personal purposes. What is your opinion of Jonathan Gray?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Religion is bull# its designed to keep the population under control, you really think there is a great being in the universe that controls everything? Why do innocent people die then?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thethirdmovement

Religion is bull# its designed to keep the population under control, you really think there is a great being in the universe that controls everything? Why do innocent people die then?

Hi newbie

ok, so you pointed out perhaps the most overdone and obvious answer ever...but how does that actually add to the overall topic?

Lets say it isn't bull, but it isn't talking about a supernatural event either...if it helps you, think of it as cavemen experienced an alien mothership land and perhaps even do some tests/tweaks.

Then the cavemen went on and tried to spread their understanding of what happened, suddenly you have a religion

Then throughout the years, the story changes from area to area, when it was just a single ship with some aliens that could fly and a commander, suddenly you have various religions around the world speaking of the one event that has been corrupted into 100 different versions.

Is that so hard to contemplate? Keep in mind, religion is indeed a tool of control, however, it hasn't always been that way...religion's roots is a passed down story of origins..only when it became a government institution did it truely start being used as a leash

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Because God doesn't control everything...
The religions you are accustomed to today were all changed ALOT during the middle ages. That is why they seem as if they were designed to keep the population under control...it's because they were.

OP, why are you so against the idea of multiple gods, but one God who is the king of gods? I really like everything else you wrote. (Maybe you aren't against the idea...I might've misinterpreted that)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
First, this is accepting that the bible is a historicical document, (Maybe not the correct term) but there are no other documents that truly corroborate the bible. It has to stand by itself and, IMO, I don't think it does. My personal beliefs are that the bible is plagiarized from the Sumerian texts. (As evidenced by my name.)
Yet, Even the biblical God acknowledges the existence of other Gods in his commandment: Thou Shalt have no other God before me for I am a JEALOUS God... (Jealousy being synonymous with Envy, envy being one of the 7 deadly sins, obliterating the belief that God is without sin, but that's another argument)

So that (again,IMO) kind of undermines the singularity of God's deity and perfection, Else, I think he (God) would have worded the commandment differently. Maybe like, Thou shalt not put lesser gods before me, or Thou shalt not worship any of the lesser Gods in my pantheon, or...well, you get the point.

Ever confusing, I'm still searching for the answers since I walked away from Christianity 30 years ago. (And paganism 2 years ago)

As an archeologist, wouldn't you have to acknowledge that the Sumerian texts were written BEFORE the bible and from there try to establish that the one true God is Ea?

When moses was asked who had sent him He replied "I was sent by he who is called I AM." Ea is hebrew for I am

Just some observations, not trying to start a holy war.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Remember, way back to the beginning. We were all one people with one faith, well as in the days of Noah they didnt care enough to believe in God anymore, they became anathema and apathetic which was why God destroyed them. Again after It all restarted with Noah, all religions sprang frim his sons families and somehow got changed or corrupted.

I think the ancient Greeks forgot that there was only One God, and that everything under him was not God, but were servants and messengers (helios,hermes etc.) which accounts for hades and the elysian fields. Hades being Hell, and the Elysian fields being Abrahams Bosom (it wasnt called abrahams bosom at first, but its where all the believers who beileved the savior would come went to rest after death).

Egypt at one time had only One God, and he was named Aten. Ahkenaten (Tutankhamun's father) closed all the temples of the false gods in egypt and instituted a One God religion which ultimately failed (due to politics and the priests running the country through the multi-god religion). It is widely believed by scholars today that Aten was probably one of the lost names of God, probably an old religion of God that Ahkenaten tried to take his people back to in an age of superstition and strife.

The Norse had a multi-god religion, however like Zeus, they had a "King God" called Woden (Odin). They most likely were another people who forgot that there was only one God and because the beings he commanded had powers beyond that of mortal men, the norse thought then that they too were gods. Another similarity between norse mythology and christianity were the valkyrie whom were winged female warriors, sometimes with firey swords who would take fallen warriors to the Great Hall where they would await the last battle, so very similar to christianities Armageddon and how the lord will return with the saints and the armies of heaven for a last climactic battle against evil.

All these religions sprang from one faith. The faith of the One True God. The God of many names. Yahweh,El,Jehovah,Yeshua,Allah, and perhaps Aten,Odin and Zeus were among those names at one time, long before the Greeks,Norse and Egyptians forgot that there was only One God. Maybe that, even the hindu god Vishnu could have been a name among those many names? It makes logical sense when you think about how we all came from the same line of men and how we are all just distant cousins that go back 1000 generations or more?

Think on that. As an Archeologist, it is my life mission to prove this theory. Maybe, it was after the tower of Babel's fall when God split us up and mixed up the languages when the shift began.

I don't think you're going back far enough in time. Most Christians believe that the days of Noah were less than 10,000 years ago but the Sumerians have been found to be much older than that and had their own religious beliefs. Perhaps all religious belief sprang from them.

In any regards, we're talking about people who did not know what stars were, what atoms were, the true shape of the earth, etc. We learned these things in increments. So, it if you're going to learn where all the religions came from you should start at the earliest known source. If there is a civilization older than the Sumerians then start there.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Religion is only an invention of man the please him with his will and needs. This need to be said much more because the illusion that the religion comes from God is definitely a bad one for sure.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I have heard that the big three religions, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are quite similar.

Here is a table I just found.
christianityinview.com...

There's another comparison chart here
www.religionfacts.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
One could make such a guess by starting from a pre-determined answer and adapting pseudo-facts to 'prove' it.

This is however not the standard methodology amongst real scholars, so it's probably some home-cooked theist method, constructed to further theist purposes. Similar to theist misuse of hard-science/logic etc.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SumerianSoldier
Yet, Even the biblical God acknowledges the existence of other Gods in his commandment: Thou Shalt have no other God before me for I am a JEALOUS God... (Jealousy being synonymous with Envy, envy being one of the 7 deadly sins, obliterating the belief that God is without sin, but that's another argument)

Not all jealousy is evil, therefore not all jealousy is sin.

Ever confusing, I'm still searching for the answers since I walked away from Christianity 30 years ago. (And paganism 2 years ago)

30 years and you have never read Revelation 4:11 ?

When moses was asked who had sent him He replied "I was sent by he who is called I AM." Ea is hebrew for I am

The correct translation for ehyeh is "I shall be" or "I will be." It is imperfect tense of the first person of the verb to be.

There is absolutely no chance that "Ea", whatever it means, is the hebrew for "I am". The hebrew root for the verb to be is HWH, and the aramaic root for the verb to be (used in God's name) is HYH. There is no way to turn either HWH or HYH into "Ea" after adding the byanim.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
I have heard that the big three religions, Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are quite similar.

Here is a table I just found.
christianityinview.com...

There's another comparison chart here
www.religionfacts.com...

Hey, I want to post a special note here to thank you for the links you posted. Particularly the second one. The chart it directly links to is interesting, but the rest of that site with comparison charts and one BIG chart showing dozens of the worlds religions in comparison is priceless. Thanks for a resource I'll be sure to use for a long time to come.

I just never can tell what coming on here will wind up giving me. Today, these links, make for a great addition to my references. Thanks again for taking the time to share!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leahn

Not all jealousy is evil, therefore not all jealousy is sin.

Wait a minute. Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Jealousy is envy. Envy is a deadly sin. It's not known as Envy or jealousy is a sin except under this circumstance. It's simply a sin. So I think you're wrong there. "God" is most definately "with" sin. Wow. I've read a lot about "God" on this website that has really opened my eyes WIDE open.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No problem buddy!

I knew I'd read about similarities before, so I just googled and found those two.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Religion is bull# its designed to keep the population under control, you really think there is a great being in the universe that controls everything?

Those two statements are not related. Organized religion has nothing to do with whether or not God exists. There can be a God outside of religion, and there can be religion outside of God. There's no causal link there like your sentence implies.

Why do innocent people die then?

What does innocent people dying have to do with whether or not God exists? Is it your opinion that if God exists then nothing bad will ever happen? Where did you get that notion? Your conclusion is nonsensical. There are many other possibilities that your conclusion ignores including God being ambivalent to what happens here (maybe we're just ants to Him); that He has a plan beyond your current level of understanding in which suffering is required and will lead to a better world; or that death is not God's work, but is something else (sin, Satan, etc.)

Regarding the OP, in my opinion all religions did not spring from God, but rather, they sprang from man's attempt to put God into a box of our understanding. God is beyond our understanding, but that'll never stop us from trying to define the undefinable.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
Wait a minute. Do you realize how stupid that sounds? Jealousy is envy. Envy is a deadly sin. It's not known as Envy or jealousy is a sin except under this circumstance. It's simply a sin. So I think you're wrong there. "God" is most definately "with" sin. Wow. I've read a lot about "God" on this website that has really opened my eyes WIDE open.

Jealousy isn't envy. If jealousy was envy, then it would be called envy, not jealousy. The fact that such words are synonimous under some circunstances doesn't mean that such words are interchangeable in any and all circunstances. Envy is a sin. Jealousy is not always a sin.
edit on 11/8/2011 by Leahn because: spelling

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
You didn't comment on God acknowledging other gods, and we are off topic now, but...

jeal·ous·y 
noun,
1. resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself.

en·vy
noun
1. a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc.

(Now, quote James 3:16 for me as your rebuttal)

As to whether I have read Revelations? Multiple times. It's a book written after a dream state. Reliable? Only If you accept the biblical God.( And believe me, you want an education on religion, try being Pagan and married to a preacher's daughter and see how many Sunday sermons you inspire.) These days, I spend most of my time in studying Genesis and cross referencing it against The Sumerian Texts. I am intently studying these two because I am BY NO MEANS an expert, but I spent a major portion of my youth allowing other people to force THEIR interpretations of the bible down my throat.

As for my observation of Ea, A binyan is a 3 letter word or element, Ea is two. And phonetically speaking, Ea is Ehyeh, as in Ehyeh asher Ehyeh. (I AM that I AM) Am I right? I don't know, I have only started dabbling in hebrew. But considering that the primary argunment AGAINST the Sumerian texts coming first is that the bible was passed along in verbal orations for many years until someone jotted them down.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I'd like to ask you about your view that we all shared one religion and when this hapened.

When do you think God made himself known to us, was it with our start from the animal kingdon as Australopethicines,or when we evolved to the Homo Habilis stage or as Homo Erectus, or was it when we evolved onto Neanderthal or Cro Magmun or Homo Sapiens? Did God think us worthy before Homo Sapien Sapien?

When do you start your claim for us all sharing a single religion?

You see its fine when one learns religion at school they only hop back 2000 years or so, but when you talk about a single God figure (that created the world) and who gave us one religion you are making such a broad claim you need to qualifying at what stage of our evolution did we first meet God and his one religion? Did he bother with us before we evolved into Homo Sapien?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join