It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about food for survival situations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Greetings survival enthusiasts! I would like to ask about what food will be good to stock up in case of emergencies. What foods will last longer, what will be more simple to grow, and so on. I know I don't have much to add on but this should be helpful for other users then myself.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I like many of the freeze dried foods with lots of carbs and protein, but always open the package and re seal them because half of the package is air. they keep for very long. all you need is water.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
dry beans ,rice, canned tomatoes , hot sauce , soy sauce , pepper , salt , lemon pepper, garlic and onion salt , sugar, flower and corn meal, tortilla meal, canned ham , canned tuna , canned chili beans , canned stew , canned soups, canned green beans,corn, potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, beef bullion,chicken bullion,pork bullion, beef jerky, liquid smoke, canned crackers , canned bratwurst, lard,cooking oil.

buy it all in bulk by the case if you can afford it?, but make sure you keep it all in the cool and dry in a dark room where light cannot shine in on it

these are just basics but the most important are your dry beans and rices, along with the bullions, you can hunt game or fish to add fresh meat.

you need no less than 200 pounds of rice and beans and they're cheap

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Stay away from pre-packaged commercial freeze-dried meals. Very little value for the cost, they are comprised mostly of pasta, which you can supply yourself at a fraction of the cost.

The best value with the longest storeage is dried beans, rice, pasta, dried fruit, and nuts right off your local grocer’s shelf. Wheat flower, corn meal, salt, dried milk, lard will become your breads.

If you have a little more money to spend the next step is powdered eggs, powder butter, protein powder.

Do NOT open they are not filled with air but with nitrogen. Once opened you will need to use.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Everyone has foods that they like to eat, they want to get freeze dried food or nitrogen packed foods, thats fine, but if you get store bought canned food, noodles, pasta, and some seasonings you get what you eat, and that way you are eating what you like to eat.

If you have never had freeze dried food, MRE's or whatever you want, just try it before you go and buy cases and cases of it.

I pesonally like home canned veggies and meats...it takes a couple of years to get the hang of doing it. You need to practice and use your skills of whatever they are, for being ready for whatever is on the way...it might be a green thumb or it could be a builder, trapper or whatever they are, have them up to snuff.

Just because the SHTF, doesn't mean that your food in the kitchen is bad, use it first, then move onto the longer term storage stuff if you have any...just my .02 cents for whatever its worth.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfGod267

Beans
rice
powdered/condensed milk
liquid amino acids(I like Braggs)
peanut butter
honey does not go bad
salt get alot! Iodized if possible
Spices
vinegar
lemon juice
oils
lard/shortning
yeast
pectin
vitamins
spam/tuna/canned meats of all kinds
flour
corn meal
baking flour and soda
canned veggies of all kinds
heirloom seeds
canning jars and lids
little packets of condiments catsup/mayo/mustard lots of them
aluminum foil lots of it
edit on 11-8-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

Amen to the salt! It does more than just season your poached eggs and popcorn. You use salt & soda to bruth your teeth, (when the toothpaste runs out) and you can salt down meat with it, and you can use it in lots of ways to clean and deodorize. You can never have too much of it.

(And you can always use salt for trade goods.)

Me? I'm going to vacuum seal about 50 pounds of chocolate!! Some folks would trade you anything for chocolate!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
chicken and beef boullion, for soups and stews.

Ramen noodles are extremely cheap (on sale periodically for 6/$1, which is 17 cents per pkg)
edit on 11-8-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Jansy

You can also use it to preserve game meat!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Salt is definitely critical not only to your diet, but to your sanity. We forgot to get salt for a few weeks in my household, and let me tell you...Maybe it's because I spend all day out in the field and lose a lot of salt through perspiration...Maybe it's just me, but food sucks when you run out of salt. I reckon that stuff would be quite sought after where no natural sources are available. Hell, I might of just now thought of a job for myself in that situation, granted I don't mind travelling two or three hundred miles from the coast.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Look I'm not trying to turn this into a religious thing... but I do have to point out the Mormons and LDS have made a science out of long term food storage and prep...

Click here to read one of their books on what to get and how to use this book is pretty handy... but like all church based publications it does have a bit of scripture to get threw before you get to the good stuff

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Salt is very important for sustaining life.

I "pocket" salt packs when ever I can and have a large accumulation of them.

Most of the other items I agree with except the fancy condiments most people thing they need to survive.

Pepper should also be on the list too.It not only flavors food but it has medical properties too.

If you feel the need to have flavored meats then 'jerky" the meat.

You can do it yourself it is not that hard,and just reconstitute it with water.

All the seasoning is already in the meat and you can make stews and such by just adding vegetables.

If you feel it is necessary to have canned food be darn sure you have a mechanical can opener.

I know that sounds dumb but you would be surprised at the number of people who do not have one.

One needs to look back a hundred years ago and more to see how people survived back then.

Be sure to include yeast in your food storage plan also.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I am not an expert or anything but foods that can make someone full easily would be at the top of my list, as well as foods that gives all the nutrients one needs, foods that you will like to eat and foods that can easily be prepared.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity
I like many of the freeze dried foods with lots of carbs and protein, but always open the package and re seal them because half of the package is air. they keep for very long. all you need is water.

Ok first: that's not air, it's nitrogen.

Second: read this
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Third Don't do that.

Forth : it's no longer has the shelf life it use to have.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I am interested in learning how to start canning. Right now we are in an apartment and have no room for a garden so I will be practicing on veggies I get from the food stands (which are everywhere here in NC)

We also try to buy in bulk but money is tight at the moment. I have mostly just been figuring out how to grocery shop for 2 weeks with only $80. To some that may be a lot but to the 3 of us, it's hardly anything. I was successful this month but our sodium will probably be through the roof by the end of the 3 weeks when payday comes again. My two year old is eating us off the house and home, he's like a damn teenager already.

That being said...this is what I have so far

*lot of flour, and rice
*water purifier
*hand crank pasta maker
*various hunting and fishing gear that we already had because the husband is an avid outdoorsman.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClapOnKyle
Salt is definitely critical not only to your diet, but to your sanity. We forgot to get salt for a few weeks in my household, and let me tell you...Maybe it's because I spend all day out in the field and lose a lot of salt through perspiration...Maybe it's just me, but food sucks when you run out of salt. I reckon that stuff would be quite sought after where no natural sources are available. Hell, I might of just now thought of a job for myself in that situation, granted I don't mind travelling two or three hundred miles from the coast.

That's interesting. I rarely use salt in cooking. Most food has sufficient salt already in it. I REALLY notice it when salt is added to a recipe. I think our taste buds have just become accustomed to the amount we both use.

For example, most bread receipes call for a bit of salt to the mix, but salt retards years growth. I use a cube of "salted" butter in the recipe anyway (4 loaves) so I figure that is more than enough salt. There's also some sodium in eggs if you use them. For someone watching their blood pressure this is really important.

Anyway, thanks for the info in this thread.

join