It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Viewers Threaten Atheists Over 9/11 Cross Lawsuit

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I have a problem with religious icons in public. All religions were made by man, for man. Whether peaceful or not the willful spreading of false information is detrimental to humanities survival. One day, long after my corpse is dirt once more, there will be no violence from one man to another man, and there will be no religion for the man to justify his violence.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
First of all, people posting on facebook aren't being serious. No crime has been committed. Secondly, it's just a cross - so what. It actually stood on tis own in the rubble before they removed it. It rose from the rubble in one piece and meant a lot to the people who saw it. I think for that alone it should be allowed to remain because of its special significance to the survivors. Thirdly, a little bit of government aide was used and the museum put up the cross. Can't the museum just reimburse the government to the amount it cost to put up the cross?

This is what they saw (link: www.werismyki.com...)

Seems minor to me. But on the other hand, christianity DOES have a strong hold on this nation. Anybody who doesn't notice isn't paying attention. Can anyone recall the last atheist president?

Finally, the website linked says that about half of the people who died on 9/11 were not christian. If the government is unable to settle this dispute, maybe no religious symbol should be put up. But honestly, I think the government will just ask for some of their money back and the issue will go away as fast and furious as it started. I hope that's what happens.
edit on 13-8-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
As an agnostic I would like to say the most obnoxious thing atheists do is try to remove religious signs from public. If they don't believe and don't care then can't they ignore it?

How about, when the religious signs are put up in public in front of your face it's a little harder to ignore that religion. Perhaps if everyone alive took two years worth of psychology classes they might understand the reasons that people follow religions, and we can all have a good laugh and finally move past those detrimental devices.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dystopiaphiliac
if everyone alive took two years worth of psychology classes they might understand the reasons that people follow religions
I studied psych at 2 unis. Both profs and students were religious. I was an outcast at both. Uni psych appears to be an ed in insurance scam.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I wnated to make another reply here so everyone sees it...

Isn't that amazing? Have some humility!

THAT is why it's so special and why it should remain.

I have no problem with other religious symbols being put on display. That's fair.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

So death threats are not serious? Hmmm.

CJ

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

As an agnostic I would like to say the most obnoxious thing atheists do is try to remove religious signs from public.

...agnosticism has nothing to do with it...

...but, anyways, if you think thats the most obnoxious, some of the atheists i know would really freak you out... one is just rotten inside and likes to fart in crowded closed-in spaces (autos, elevators), lol... another is a musician who likes to wake up severely hung-over folks doing the hendrix version of star spangled banner but about a million times louder (he's dead now - i didnt do it but i thought about it more than a few times, lol)... their behavior has nothing to do with them being atheists... they're just quirky, lol...

If they don't believe and don't care then can't they ignore it?

...obviously they do care...

What that says to me is that they aren't entirely sure of their atheism and that seeing these objects makes them think of their doubt and shows that they aren't true atheists.

...whatever their reasons, it has nothing to do with atheism... when i'm bitchy or bossy or downright hateful to someone, its not because i dont believe in deities...

...more than anything, i think this newager bastardization of atheism is an excuse to be a rebel... pitiful thang about that is - if you need an excuse to be a rebel, you aint never gonna be one (except in your own mind, lol)...

Can't they just keep it to themselves. It shouldn't at all offend if they don't believe. Can't they just scoff quietly under their breath?

...and if someone said that to you about a matter you felt strongly about?... its a totally different thang when its you choosing to voice your opinion rather than just keeping it to yourself, right?...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite

I have no problem with other religious symbols being put on display. That's fair.

so ##SNIP## amazin ain't it?

the hand of friggin god.

it's proof of something atoms can't explain.

there are hearts to eat, right atheists?

no wonder you people are targets.
edit on Sun Aug 21 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Gosh, for someone so firm in their belief, it makes you wonder when you get so angry on a public forum. I hope when push comes to shove you don't deem me unworthy o holy one!

CJ

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

Originally posted by jonnywhite

so f'n amazin ain't it?

the hand of friggin god.

Its a piece of scrap metal. Nothing more then that.

If Christians had a different symbol - - - it wouldn't have any meaning except more scrap.

It is you who is placing meaning on a piece of scrap metal.

But that is not the issue. The issue is people of many faiths died that day. It is wrong for this memorial to be explicit to one faith.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

As an agnostic I would like to say the most obnoxious thing atheists do is try to remove religious signs from public.

They don't remove religious signs from public.

They expect government property to be free of religious symbols - - or in some cases display diversity.

We are a secular government - whether some want to except it or not. The government should not recognize any specific religious faiths or have displays of a specific religion.

OR a specific religion when tax payer dollars are used to build a memorial.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

First line of the treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams.

Thought I'd throw that in there for you history buffs, and for all those claiming that the nation was founded on Christianity. It wasn't.

Your word against that of John Adams. He probably had a better idea about the founding of the nation than you do. You probably picked up your version from Fox news or from a Tea Party rally (they never let the truth stand in the way of a good story). Perhaps a Palin speech about how Paul Revere rang the bells to tell the British they'd never take our guns and freedoms. That sort of thing... Not sure. Anyway, I'm going with John Adams as the authority here. After all, he was THERE.

A cross is used as the universal symbol of Christianity (of course, all the little sects and cults have their own too). If the cross from the site is erected, it should have a disclaimer plaque showing that it is simply showing a historical artifact that was salvaged from the ruins. Otherwise, it's a symbol of Christianity and government funds should be withdrawn from the project.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Sorry, PC crowd (And I say that out of pure respect for the sheer irony)

It doesn't make sense to "honor" people with the same religious propagandist division that killed them in the first place. Let's be a little less crazy and stop pretending fairy-tale-based structures are saving fictional souls and maybe we'll stop ragingly killing massive amounts of people for religious "values" and boasting about whose invisible deity is better than the next.

It's just scrap metal; scrap it. "Stop being so damn sensitive about every little thing!".

edit on 14-8-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOrangeBrood
It's just scrap metal; scrap it. "Stop being so damn sensitive about every little thing!".

Perfect! Move it back to the Catholic church.

Then build a memorial that respects everyone.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Dystopiaphiliac

Yeah.. but can't non believers just laugh off the symbols? If they can't it tells me they are still in the stages if discovering themselves.. or the only other explanation is they are just jerks.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I'm talking about the obnoxious things atheists do in the name of atheism or anti religion.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

In response to the last part.. EXACTLY! Why do they feel strongly about it? By design (lol.. design) they shouldn't care at all.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

This is just one instance. And it isn't about separation of church and state. If the guy that owns the real estate there at the towers wants then he can put a cross there. Atheist groups are also known to fight xmas displays in stores and take down roadside crosses. That's why I wonder if these people aren't truly atheists and are unsure and would rather remove these images than have to face their own thoughts on the subject.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

Yeah.. but picking your battles is important. I don't discriminate against any, but taking down xmas displays, road side crosses, ten commandments in school.. why? What does it hurt?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

I'm not sure of my position?.. Lol.. well do you know what an agnostic is?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join