It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now would be a good time to...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It would be a good time to get the things that you might have been holding off bying for whatever reason.
I know the markets are going crazy this week and noone knows what will happen...so if you need to get food, water, meds, fuel or whatever it might be...it might be smart to get it while you can and to ensure that you have it, incase you can't get it in the very near future.

I for 1 will never have everything I need and if you cover your basics you will be better off than most.
Food
Water
Meds
Protection
Shelter

once you have the basics covered, the rest are all luxury items...

With all the crappy news... don't forget to live your life, just be aware of whats happening, so that you and yours can hopefully be safe and secure.

I do have no doubt that we are on a road that is going to hurt some for all of us...some more than others.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

I'd just add one thing to that list for people to insure they have bought. Maps. Not just highway maps of your area and state, although those are a must. Truck Stops and Walmarts also sell State specific map books that are entirely focused on Topographical maps, in great blow up and detail, of one entire state. I'd strongly suggest everyone at least buy the map book for their own state. Surrounding states as well, if possible.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

I agree with you. We have a huge garden, grow almost all our food, hunt and forage. Have done this for almost thirty years, but that last few years we have worked hard at getting ready for something that no one is going to want to face or deal with. We live miles from the nearest town and are very self sufficient. I always recommend to people to get a water filter and just do stuff but rarely do they listen, it is like you just can;t get them to wrap their heads around it. We buy bulk alot too, but every year we increase the garden size and are now raising alot of our own dry beans. I think the next bulk crop will be millet. We would do this anyway, whether this was coming or not. We just love to do it. If nothing happens (my hope) then we will have lots of food. I am known as the garden lady in our town. We give alot of food to the locals once we get what we want from the garden.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bwcawaterbear

My parents are the same way, with there garden and giving away what they don't need or use.
They are both at retirement age and have had a garden for the last 35 years, that I know of.

The big thing for everyone to remember is to get what you like, what you eat, and what you use!!!
It would be horrable to have the SHTF and be eating things you hate to survive, and don't forget cleanliness, it will be key for your health,so have soap, shampoo, and bleach that you have stored for your use in a SHTF.

There are thousands of things that we could put down to get, but just use your head and get what you use and need for you and yours.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I will say that not only getting your ducks in a row for the things you need is a good idea, but getting out and practicing those skills and making things with your selection of hand tools is highly important as well. Here in Ohio, the summer heat has really cooled off a bit. Not a lot of rain in the forecast. The cicadas are buzzing and now would be a good time to go out and practice those skills.

Cook some meals over a campfire. I can't tell you how many meals I have burned or undercooked over the years when the outside looked done due to cooking too close and too fast.

Practice tying knots. You may be surprised at how many you have forgotten how to do over the years.

Take a long walk with a pack on with some weight in it. This past Spring I was breaking a hard sweat at 1/2 a mile. Now, a 3 mile walk isn't the least bit daunting. The bonus is I dropped a few personal pounds along the way.

Bottom line is that you can everything you think you will need and want in an 85 lbs pack or actually have everything you need in about 20-25 lbs. But if your skills, body and mind are not sharp and you are too out of your element outdoors, no selection of gear in the world will help you.

Just saying.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Thank you for the reminder that I need to get an updated thorough map. Living outside a metro area I may need one. In case of having to bug out we are in a disagreement. My husband just says go and I would like to have a destination. Do you all have a bug out destination? I will admit that I doubt I would survive living in the forest.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Maps are good if your going to be in a vehicle, if your able to travel on foot, it would be good to know the direction to head into...if there are patrols out or curfews, you might be better off with it in your head, so if you get caught you don't get everyone caught!!
Situation...will be the desiding factor..

new topics

top topics

join