It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Wants to Help Hunt for Higgs Particle ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
First it was SETI with their screensaver now the Large Hadron Collider team are looking for help from the public to help in the search for the Higgs boson .

"Volunteers can now actively help physicists in the search for new fundamental particles that will provide insights into the origin of our Universe, by contributing spare computing power from their personal computers and laptops," read a statement from Cern, the European Organization for Nuclear Research which runs the LHC.
www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Wow. That's interesting. Makes me recall this comic.

I'm betting It's under the couch, next to the slice of old pizza!

Seriously though, this is an awesome opportunity for scientists all over to impress. BIGTIME.

Oh, you changed your avatar Gortex, It'll take some getting used to.

Oh yeah, S&F!
edit on 11-8-2011 by BoneMosaic because: S&F

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I have a major love for Science and observing newly founded theories....LOVE IT....but I do NOT support such inhumane experiments such as this or the RHIC.

Please do not get mad at me.....I have the right to love humanity and this Planet more than I do finding a God Particle.

They can help me by not spending useless money searching for God all the while not caring for their Human Race or their Planet.

It is a disgrace and a crime against Humanity....hey we are still here until the next time....cool....this is great. Who knows what will happen to us or the planet but lets keep on keeping on messing with particles we have no clue about.

My 2 cents....sorry if it goes against yours. I am passionate about this subject but not when it threatens our very existence. There is NO PROOF it will not cause harm now or down the road.

Where does one draw the line?

They don't....the powers of the elite do not care ....never have and never will. Sadly.

Peace and love to you and yours!!!!!! xoxoxox

Jenn

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

i don't understand how this is inhumane. btw the "god" particle has nothing to do with proving a god exists. its called that because, if its real, everything in the universe relies on it for mass.

weaponize it? meh. cheers, you found the higgs boson. it will take awhile for us to master removing it, and even then it would just remove "mass" completely. maybe new transportation will arise out of it, but i don't see anything sinister.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Wake me up when they release FPGA code.. GPU's are too slow and so last decade for processing.

Every computer should have an FPGA in it for distributed computing or dedicated tasks.

All GPU's do is GET HOT and cost huge electricity on fans and driving.

FPGA is win win, lowpower and at times 10x faster than the fastest GPU.
edit on 11-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Nice to see that people can help each other by compounding computer power. But honestly They are never going to find "the god particle" it simply does not exist. At every level of observation there is going to be a particle for that scale of observation, You could cut it as small as you like we live in a universe of infinity in a finite boundaries space. If the mainstream scientific community would focus on the pattern of life creation (flower of life or the fruit of life) We would have humanity finally understand how things really work in this universe.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

I know what the Particle is and I know why they call it the God Particle.

Placing something like that with all its energy deep inside our Earth for miles...??

Messing with particles we have only minimal knowledge of...??

I could go on and on but you are either for it or you are against it.

I LOVE experiments just not at the expense of our race our Planet.

Peace!!!! xoxox

Jenn

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Well I suppose you're right there, but money is wasted evereday on things that may seem useless, when It could be spent on humanitarian efforts. but I think most wealthy countries have humanitarian aid factored into their budget (I could very well be wrong here, so don't flame too hard.) after a quick google search i have found that the swiss contribute to humanitarian efforts quite a bit. Just search swiss humanitarian aid.

www.deza.admin.ch...

The collider did cost a SH*TLOAD of cash to build though, approx. $4.4bn, €3.1bn, or £2.8bn as of Jan 2010.

Source:en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-8-2011 by BoneMosaic because: spacing

edit on 11-8-2011 by BoneMosaic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonyinawareness
reply to post by gortex

Nice to see that people can help each other by compounding computer power. But honestly They are never going to find "the god particle" it simply does not exist. At every level of observation there is going to be a particle for that scale of observation, You could cut it as small as you like we live in a universe of infinity in a finite boundaries space. If the mainstream scientific community would focus on the pattern of life creation (flower of life or the fruit of life) We would have humanity finally understand how things really work in this universe.

This is just too simple though. It makes sense to a lot of us...but for the others...they merely love messing with stuff they know nothing about. Its craaaaazy to me. No sense of logic at all. We know what fracking does. What does this big machine with all its atom smashing energy do to the Electrical Planet?? We do not know. This is again a passion of mine....just not this way with the LHC. I do not like it and its just not cool with me.

What particles seep out? We don't know. What will these do to us and our planet? We do not know.

I know there are a bunch of stupid people

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
reply to post by MamaJ

Well I suppose you're right there, but money is wasted evereday on things that may seem useless, when It could be spent on humanitarian efforts. but I think most wealthy countries have humanitarian aid factored into their budget (I could very well be wrong here, so don't flame too hard.) after a quick google search i have found that the swiss contribute to humanitarian efforts quite a bit. Just search swiss humanitarian aid.

www.deza.admin.ch...

The collide rdid cost a SH*TLOAD of cash to build though, approx. $4.4bn, €3.1bn, or £2.8bn as of Jan 2010.

Source:en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 11-8-2011 by BoneMosaic because: spacing

So true....the LHC was actually around 10-15 billion and so was the RHIC here in the US. It is money that could very well be used to help humanity....that is for sure. Its like with the Nuclear Bomb.....they had no idea what it would do to us....did they care? Nope....they tried it out not knowing the outcome.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Yeah, I've heard a lot of scary talk about the possibility of it creating a black hole that could suck us down the universes "S- bend".

I'm not sure where I stand on their research, It would be fantastic to maybe find out how the universe started.

But It would appear they're having trouble, so there's the out sourcing we're hearing about.

Maybe a little off topic, but I have often wondered if the extended time of WW2 without the nuke, would have been worth the extra loss of life. I sometimes think there may have been even more war, because the nuclear trump card wouldn't exist. Which would make it much simpler to just declare war, because their would be no chance of ruining the planet with nukes.

Then again, there would be no nuclear war fear. No chance of absolutely obliterating the planet so as to make it almost unliveable.

Tough choice.
edit on 11-8-2011 by BoneMosaic because: more

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi MamaJ
There is nothing to fear from the Higgs Boson , nor from the search for it , the stories of Cern running the risk of creating Black Holes and destroying the planet were the musings people with to much time on their hands and not enough knowledge , scare stories if you will akin to whats going on at the moment with Elinin .
I think this sums the Higgs up pretty well.

Post by BoneMosaic

Yeah I know , I find it strange when people change avatars but a change is as good as .......

Plus I'm feeling a bit revolutionary

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I thought they pulled it into the universe already
It would be amazing if somehow those experiments were occuring in actual space right now.
edit on 8/11/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by BoneMosaic

If this is like folding at home is there any way to determine who's computer comes up with what solution and maybe set up a rewards program like the lotto. If your computer has a break through or makes a landmark calculation you get monetary reward.

I think they could entice many people into folding or doing other calculations for the benefit of the military. I mean public institutions.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex

Post by BoneMosaic

Yeah I know , I find it strange when people change avatars but a change is as good as .......

Plus I'm feeling a bit revolutionary

No, I like It! Love your Seinfeld reference user name too. Changed mine, I don't think anyone will notice though.

Sorry for being OT.
edit on 11-8-2011 by BoneMosaic because: sorry

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
That would most certainly get people to have a go. But I would think providing a break through on the level they are asking for would be reward in itself.

Originally posted by TheRemedial
reply to post by BoneMosaic

I think they could entice many people into folding or doing other calculations for the benefit of the military. I mean public institutions.

I see what you did there.

edit on 11-8-2011 by BoneMosaic because: spelling

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I have researched Cern since I first heard about it in 2008. I stay on top of their findings and while I love the idea I do not love the risk. There is a risk and there are a handful of them. Plus....if you take into account all the professionals who are against it within the same field..its astounding. Some are more quiet as to not be shunned within their community of Science.

My research in this matter is there are many risks and one of them is not only what it may do to our Race but also what it may do to our Planet. There are a lot of unknowns.

Deep inside our Earth there are machines smashing protons and atoms.
Its craaaazy to me.

Oh...well....what do you do. Sit back and hope for the best.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

There was speculation a few weeks ago fueled by a leaked note that they had found the Higgs , but there's no official word as yet and it would seem that someone may have jumped the gun a bit .

Some other aspects of the signal, however, don't match predictions. Mr Stone said: 'Its production rate is much higher than that expected for the Higgs boson in the Standard Model.'

The signal may be evidence of some other particle, Mr Stone said, adding: 'Which in some sense would be even more interesting, or it could be the result of new physics beyond the Standard Model.'
He pointed out that the note is not an official result of the ATLAS research team, so speculation about its validity or implications, therefore, may be a little premature.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

The sinister activity is done by cloud computing through CUDA like architecture. I advise that nobody here actually sign up -- it's a GINORMOUS security risk.

(My main stay is computers, I'm in school currently for computer programming and analysis, have held jobs that require deep knowledge of cisco routers and IT (Information's Technology) and have a buddy who owns an IT security firm. This spells DANGER CLOSE all over it.)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Wouldn't it be interesting if planetary civilizations got to a certain point in their development, like say what has produced a CERN like device and it's like a failsafe. Maybe if you poke the rattlesnake too many times it's gonna strike. If you take the scientific CERN road which could be said to be based on greed and avarice you go boom, but if you take the compassionate "humanist" road you live to see your race develop. Maybe that's why we don't hear from any alien species? Personally, I don't think anything intelligent would try to contact us anyway. Just a thought....

But this multiprocessing solution for CERN just needs one little virus and millions of computers can become Zombots, yeehaw! But maybe that's the plan?

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/11.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: of spelling "too" wrong

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join