It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jay Carney bashes WSJ reporter, claims unemployment checks create jobs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

“It is one of the most direct ways to infuse money directly into the economy because people who are unemployed and obviously aren’t running a paycheck are going to spend the money that they get. They’re not going to save it, they’re going to spend it. And with unemployment insurance, that way, the money goes directly back into the economy, dollar for dollar virtually.”

Yes, people. The government says the dumbest things imaginable. Can you believe what some people will say about welfare and why it is good? Jesus!
edit on 11-8-2011 by Dr Love because: all caps in thread title (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2011 by Dr Love because:

edit on 11-8-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ah well, there's your problem, too many people have jobs!

If only everyone had no job, and thus everyone put all their money back into the economy, the USA would be out of its financial problems. Why didnt we think of this before?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ManOfGod267

Just proves that social programs are not meant to help people raise themselves up. He says it flat out, give this unemployed the money because they wont save a dime of it. How are they ever going to build capital if all efforts are to "help" them are designed to leave them with none of the "help" later.

Ugh the GOVERNMENT PLANTATION has got to go!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Hey where can I get one of them there unemployment checks?? I need a new 47 inch TV so the guy at Best Buy can continue to work.

Carney and his boss are both out of touch. Frankly, I am surprised that Carney has lasted this long in his role. I think when he first started I said he wouldn't last past September. He keeps blurting like this the Press Pool will force him to resign.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So, if everyone was unemployed, everyone would have a job.

*Personal note; the stroke that crippled the life of the beloved Beezzer was caused by the sheer stupidity of Washington D.C.. The staff and family of Bezzer would like to have one minute of internet silence.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Ignorance of the posters here... If you're unemployed and need help you really think they're gonna spend it on fun and games? Or save them for a glorious mantion on the hills? I'm pretty sure that you spend every dime of it for the most basic needs that those who are lucky enough to have a job never even worry about.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Jay Carney makes me yearn for the 'good ole' daze of Gibberish.

Didn't Pelosi start the 'unemployment compensation is wonderful--you can be an artist meme' a long time ago.

So...using 'Dem' logic if everyone was unemployed, and on the grand and glorious 99 weeks of unemployment; the US would have an 'unprecedented' 99 weeks of prosperity? Happy daze...here a...ahhh...pffft.

This proves how delusional the Administration is. None of them have ever lived on unemployment; drained what little savings they had; have their credit score drop (late pays & renegotiating minimum payments will do that). I wonder if that WSJ reporter would ask Carney, what's the max per week on unemployment? Or 'Jay, do people whose hours have been reduced prior to layoff qualify for unemployment? Or Mr. Carney, know where the closest Goodwill store is?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I've known people who have collected unemployment checks while living at home with their parents. No expenses, no worries whatsoever. At the time, a buddy of mine spent one unemployment check on a 100 disc Sony CD player. (yes, it was that long ago:lol
I guess he needed to replace his 5 disc machine.

Fast forward to our current times and we have people living in Section 8 housing and receiving govt. assistance of all sorts. These folks not only collect checks but they also receive food stamps and subsidized housing. They also have smart phones, smoke cigarettes, wear expensive shoes, and have bodies adorned with expensive tattoos and even teeth capped in gold and platinum. Some even earn second incomes from a variety of street based entrepreneurial businesses.

Anything associated with the govt. does not and will never generate wealth, prosperity or simple long term careers for people. Never!!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Glinda

Glib Gibbs
I think he is preparing for Obama's 2012 campaign at the moment. He just sort of rapidly fell off the radar. Glib Gibbs or Cowardly Carney... What a choice..

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
yep welfare creates jobs as per pelsoi says and now this pretty stupid comments since instead of creating their own wealth they consume other peoples wealth.

i think this current government and their talking heads have been the most ignorant stu[id people i have ever seen in my life and that is saying something.

i honestly can say i dont even know how much a unemployment check is never been on it and my pride would never let me do it.

unemployement is just another reward for failure yep lose a job no worries the government is here to save you no rush you got your 99 weeks of free pay.

meh
edit on 11-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If I have the choice to go homeless or accept unemployment I will be on unemployment in a heartbeat. Unemployment benefits do not last 99 weeks for everyone. I only got about 20-30 weeks total. You know who gets 99 weeks? Certain states allow it, California to name one, and well paid professionals get 99 weeks. Most people get less then 6 months of help and they are out. Another fallacy is that each extension tier usually only authorizes a portion of your original amount, not the whole thing. Each tier gets smaller and smaller. Your original tier might be 25 weeks, first tier 15 weeks, second tier 8 weeks, the third tier 4 weeks.

I can tell you who benefits most from unemployment benefits is small business, renters, and gas stations. This is where many on unemployment spend their limited money.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by PsykoOps

I've known people who have collected unemployment checks while living at home with their parents. No expenses, no worries whatsoever. At the time, a buddy of mine spent one unemployment check on a 100 disc Sony CD player. (yes, it was that long ago:lol
I guess he needed to replace his 5 disc machine.

Fast forward to our current times and we have people living in Section 8 housing and receiving govt. assistance of all sorts. These folks not only collect checks but they also receive food stamps and subsidized housing. They also have smart phones, smoke cigarettes, wear expensive shoes, and have bodies adorned with expensive tattoos and even teeth capped in gold and platinum. Some even earn second incomes from a variety of street based entrepreneurial businesses.

Anything associated with the govt. does not and will never generate wealth, prosperity or simple long term careers for people. Never!!

PsykoOps is the type who thinks breaking windows so you have to hire a glazer creates more "Wealth"

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
anyone who spouts that those who fet unemployment benefits are living high on the hog is either a fool, a hypocrit, or an outright liar. Do you want to know what people on unemployment buy? Food. Gas. Their utility bills. Then they hope they have enough to cover their rent and heaven help them if they've got a car payment. Unemployment benefits DO create jobs. Gas stations, grocery stores, etc because the people getting that piddly little check have to eat, they have to buy gas to go search for another job when there is so many people out of work that the employers force people to do the work of three or four people instead of hiring.

Is there a percentage that abuse the system? yes there is, but most of the people collecting benefits are people who've been laid off in this horrid economy and they just want to get back to work,

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If governments (Federal State and Local) wanted to create jobs they would started cutting as much RED TAPE as they possibly could.

Small businesses losing out to red tape

....cities and states stifle new small businesses at every turn, burying them in mounds of paperwork; lengthy, expensive and arbitrary permitting processes; pointless educational requirements for occupations; or even just outright bans. Today, the Institute for Justice released a series of studies documenting government-imposed barriers to entrepreneurship in eight cities.....

[I liked this example]
When governments actually get rid of barriers to entrepreneurship, new businesses open almost immediately. Indeed, removing even a single law can unleash entrepreneurial energy and create hundreds of jobs. Mississippi finally got rid of its requirement that African hair braiders get government-issued cosmetology licenses to practice or teach. The result? A single entrepreneur — Melony Armstrong — trained dozens of women to braid hair and open their own businesses.....

www.usatoday.com...

However liberal Democrats rather make sure voters are tied to the government tit so they have better control over how they vote.

If CONGRESS and OBAMA really wanted to help the economy they would direct all the bureaucrats to start slashing the red tape by 50% and state and local government would do the same.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I can't view the video, but based upon the OP I assume the OP and the gang are saying that
unemployment checks, which are converted into currency of some form, do not get spent
in the market place like real money. Further more, Cross Eyed Addicts of Orwellian practice; you seem to think
that businesses that engage in business with recipients of unemployment do not benefit from
the sales. I cannot speak to the fact of creation of jobs, but I can attest to the anti Orwellian fact that
money spends like money, it has the same effect for recipients regardless of the source.
which may lead to new employment, raises, or even a coc aine habit for all any of us know.
Just because this idea cannot be portrayed in coloring book form does not mean that the entire lot
of you are too retarded to understand the concept.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

However liberal Democrats rather make sure voters are tied to the government tit so they have better control over how they vote.

That is your idea Crim, you assume that all people look at life like a business gauntlet.

My avocation for the titty is exactly what is presented at face value

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

When unemployment money is being spent, the government is doing the spending by proxy. For a system to flourish, the people need to be spending their own money, money they earn by doing work that benefits them AND others.
When government spends the money, there is no benefit other than to the government.

(explanations by Beezzer. So easy, even a progressive can understand
)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The only jobs that unemployment creates is for the government workers who process the claims. The only jobs that Welfare creates is for the government workers who process the claims. Now figure that all of these workers belong to unions and look at the amount of campaign contributions made to Democrats by public sector unions and it is no wonder these clowns are making these statements.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by outlander6436

anyone who spouts that those who fet unemployment benefits are living high on the hog is either a fool, a hypocrit, or an outright liar. Do you want to know what people on unemployment buy? Food. Gas. Their utility bills. Then they hope they have enough to cover their rent and heaven help them if they've got a car payment. Unemployment benefits DO create jobs. Gas stations, grocery stores, etc because the people getting that piddly little check have to eat, they have to buy gas to go search for another job when there is so many people out of work that the employers force people to do the work of three or four people instead of hiring.

Unemployment can never ever CREATE jobs. All unemployment does is keep more jobs from being lost!

If I lose my job (and I have) the first thing I do is cut back on expenses. Downgrade my apartment, stop buying clothes of any type except an interview outfit. Sell my car and buy a junker.Go to the library instead of the movies or a book store, Switch to hamburger and Ramen noodles or anything else that is cheap.

Since I am not working the amount I spend on gas is cut way back.

In other words since I am no longer working in a factory, not only am I no longer producing a product my DEMAND for other products has been sharply curtailed. Therefore other businesses will cut back on their workers.

That is why I am saying cutting useless Red Tape so more small businesses can start up is the best way out of the hole this country is in.

We need to cause people to start CREATING wealth again.
edit on 11-8-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
the ats star and post system is the greatest example of wealth creation people will most understand.

everyone posts and not all posts are created equal

some people post dont get rewarded by stars

other people post and get rewarded by some stars

and then some people post and get rewarded with an execeptional amount of stars

posts=work
stars=money

depends on the product content of the post.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join