It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye internet privacy in canada.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The Conservatives are making a commitment to passing lawful access legislation within 100 days of their majority government, the new bills have enormous implications for the Internet. That has never received parliamentary scrutiny and will receive limited attention.

The new bill C-51 is titled: Investigative Powers for the 21st Century Act.

This is also being pushed in the USA by our so-called "conservatives".

House panel approves bill forcing ISPs to log users' web history (ATS thread)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

See I wouldn't have a problem with this, ACCEPT our government has secrets and doesn't tell us.

If they made all TOP SECRET information open to the public and a list of every single top ranking government employee's, their title and the location from where they work, then maybe it would seem a little reasonable, as then ALL OF OUR SECRETS will be out in the open.

But no, we aren't allowed to know what our government does behind closed doors, therefore- STAY OUT OF MY TOP SECRET BUSINESS FED!

True say if this law is passed, I'm sure alot of people will just drop their internet- and the rest well- they won't care cause all their info is on facebook anyways.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The issue is i can just get behind a proxy...
VPN isn't too efficient, you need a router to vpn and a tunnel, the router you are connecting to will have logs that shows who's connected. Well i guess you could get behind a proxy, then vpn, but psht.

You can't stop being anonymous online, anyone who thinks so is an idiot.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

What a joke, anonymity is necessary for the internet. It prevents a large number of crimes, like real world stalking. But hey, anonymity protects internet users and actually at present it even protects the government from people finding out they pump out so much BS. Of course if this passes, government trolls will be anonymous but the government will say they are real.

Personally, the trend bothers the hell out of me, but I will continue to use the nom de plume I use on my book because all of the alphabet agencies like CSIS and the CIA already know who that name belongs to and since that is a fact, they don't have a case.

If as it has become patently clear, that one must protect one's self from the government since the government is enacting laws that place the general population (a term used in prisons) in harm's way, the government has to be removed/fired since it does not hold to the interests of its employers, the people. We allegedly have mechanisms for their firing called elections, another joke and since the mass media is in their or their handlers pockets you can't even get the information out there to show all the malfseance and criminal behavior.

As I have always suggested, remove your money from the banks, stop paying all of your bills and bring this BS to a full and complete stop. BUT EVERYONE HAS TO DO IT! It is the most effective way of protesting the policies of these @ssclowns through civil disobedience. It's non-violent and will bring the entire fraudulent system of government down around itself along with the ponzi scheme called the Bank of Canada.

And remember, Russell Williams (serial rapist/murderer) was Stephen Harper's pilot and who did Russell Williams go to university with? Paul Bernardo! Another serial rapist murder. Now someone tell me all this crap isn't planned and covered up, because if CSIS knows what I did for the South Africans, then surely they can figure out what happened in their own backyard. So is CSIS and the prime minister's office stupid, negligent or do they all play for the same "team," the one that's screwing everyone in Canada out of their future? I'd say it's bird's of a feather and all that.....

I wish I was a younger man....

Cheers - Dave
edit on 8/11.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by doom27
VPN isn't too efficient, you need a router to vpn and a tunnel, the router you are connecting to will have logs that shows who's connected. Well i guess you could get behind a proxy, then vpn, but psht.

They can do a lot to track down who is doing this, and arrest them for breaking new laws, just for accessing the internet this way... If they pass laws that give them these powers.

Would you attempt to do the above to protect your anonymity IF you knew that you could get caught and spend time in jail, pay fines etc for it?

In a round about way, this is where governments want to go.

No more anonymity... Or making it a criminal act to be anonymous.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade

Originally posted by doom27

They can do a lot to track down who is doing this, and arrest them for breaking new laws, just for accessing the internet this way... If they pass laws that give them these powers.

Would you attempt to do the above to protect your anonymity IF you knew that you could get caught and spend time in jail, pay fines etc for it?

In a round about way, this is where governments want to go.

No more anonymity... Or making it a criminal act to be anonymous.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

really it depends on what i want to do. If there is a reason i need to be anonymous, then yes, i would risk going to jail but not be an idiot about it, much like i risk going to jail everyday for many activities i do.

I know the networking very well, its my career, its a lot easy than you would think to stay hidden online, no matter who your isp is or where you are. Also its a lot harder than it seems to track someone down on the net.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Simplification... Like getting caught driving a car without a licence, except with much more serious penalties.

Does that prevent unlicensed drivers?

No?

Right, but the tracking, enforcement and legal mechanisms for these kind of laws on the internet will be complex, and potentially much more effective than you may think, also through fines collected etc, could be a potential revenue source for governments.

We'll just have to see how it all works out.

In Canada for now, eh?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
we'll think Canadians are complacent when it comes to internet? there is a facebook group called openmedia.ca that is banding together to stop that, they are pressing the government of Canada and the parties to make the internet an issue

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I have to say Screw the government ! and their lame ass laws!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I vote for anonymity for the reason of security from criminals and corporations (oops, redundant statement). The internet community has a large voice, so as long as we keep abreast of what's going on in chambers, maybe we can use that voice in some way to fight this. There are more laws on the books in the US than there are people when you count federal, state and local laws. WTF!!!! WTF!!!!
How does that possibly make sense in a "free country"... oh yeah, I forgot, that's the biggest lie of all...

Had to add this... The fact that rioters using the social media were able to cause so much fuss doing illegal things proves that people should be able to cause a lot of fuss legally as well. This is a tool, and a very valuable one to that end...
edit on 8/11/2011 by visualmiscreant because: added content

edit on 8/11/2011 by visualmiscreant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

the government stole our rights a long time ago

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
15 key encryption plus your anonymous posts are not as anonymous as you would think utilize tor for your right to privacy and understand that your ip links to your account. Anonymity is a protection for children on the net taking that away will endanger the children.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
It was ok for the middle east to use social media but when it hits closer to home then it is another story for them .

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

This just seems to target sock puppets and falsifiers. No different than identity theft.

However the wording is off, thus this thread. I don't think such a bill will last.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Canadians have a hair trigger we will soon have enough and when the government gets too sickening for the general public we'll just have a mail strike,garbage strike or public servant strike. People in general are getting tired of it. People I know that never had anything bad to say about the government before are now waking up and realizing they are going too far.

I think the revolution should start in Newfoundland infect PEI and then spread into the other Maritime Provinces. And once were all riled up we will just hitch hike from there or take VIA or the trans Canada what ever is quicker.And join the rest of Canada in mooning the Parliament building chanting Twisted sister "No were not going to take it". Its time to enforce the Charter Of Rights And Freedoms Act which Harper is Violating. Thats treason.Harper should be arested for being a traitor to Canada. Conservatives can go suck a fart out of my chair cushion.

You can also substitute chair cushion for arse.Which ever smells sarcastically the best.Or even substitute fart for "wet fart".

Watch the vid

edit on 11-8-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightrule

awesome! Lightrule, i'm just another american idiot but if there is something i can do to show support for you folks in CA please share. i'm sure there are many in the usa that are willing to do the same.

sincerely, the best of luck to you all in fighting this.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I seen this coming for a long time but knew it was near once Harper won his majority. He can pretty much get away with anything he wants now. The implications if this bill is upheld are endless. Makes me glad I have nothing to hide. Unless utter disgust for my government is illegal. Last time I check it wasn't yet.

S + F thanks for sharing this news

edit on 11-8-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky

Well well, seems like this is happening all over the world now isnt it? Now we as canadians will not be allowed to have an Online alias. According to this bill, they will also have surveillance powers for your internet connect, will be able to attain all of your personal information, and be able to track specific types of data, be able to access it without a warrant. AND THEY DONT HAVE TO TELL YOU.

If you are investigated at your local isp, the isp is not required to call you, and tell you about it. Neither are the cops. Goodbye downloading, Goodbye privacy. Fight this bill canada, We cannot allow this.

canadianawareness.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

You wacth to much americian tv you do not have the same right

WTF wake up.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
To anyone thinking that this is no big deal and will only affect criminals and those who are attempting to break the law, and that they themselves are the "good guys" who will just continue as usual, I offer the warning and intent of the following:

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Martin Niemoller (1892-1984)

I am not condoning or supporting criminals, nor do I wish to further any protections which they may enjoy now from their ability to commit crimes and remain anonymous while doing so. But there has got to be a better way than this broad-brushing of the internet.

Everyone should worry when TPTB in any country get involved with controlling personal liberties. After this settles in for a while there will be another bill, and another....ect.

If this bill passes in it's entirety then just posting a harmless link that someone in power objected to could lead to needless litigation and cost at least, and jail time+fine and criminal record at worst. Way to easy for this to become another political tool to prevent opposition.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Originally posted by AzureSky

Well well, seems like this is happening all over the world now isnt it? Now we as canadians will not be allowed to have an Online alias. According to this bill, they will also have surveillance powers for your internet connect, will be able to attain all of your personal information, and be able to track specific types of data, be able to access it without a warrant. AND THEY DONT HAVE TO TELL YOU.

If you are investigated at your local isp, the isp is not required to call you, and tell you about it. Neither are the cops. Goodbye downloading, Goodbye privacy. Fight this bill canada, We cannot allow this.

canadianawareness.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

You wacth to much americian tv you do not have the same right

WTF wake up.

?.
Whats with the hostility I see nothing wrong with his comment.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join