It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Has Published Your Phone Number!!! How To Remove....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So I got on Facebook today and my aunt had a post that read:

"The personal PHONE NUMBERS of your contacts are now on facebook! go to the top right of the screen, click on ACCOUNT, click on EDIT FRIENDS, left side of screen and click CONTACTS. all phone numbers from ur phone (FB friends or not) are published that u have stored in your mobile phone. TO REMOVE, go to the right column, click on "this page." REPOST this on your status, so your friends can remove their numbers and thus prevent abuse if they do not want them published"

I went to my contacts and there were all my friends phone numbers listed right next to their face. WTF?

How can they possibly do this? Shouldnt this be illegal? I"m super pissed about this and FB needs to pay for invading the privacy of millions of people. I dont want the whole world to have my phone number. Do you?

I also went through the process described above and all FB had to say was that it would take a few minutes. Its been half an hour and those numbers are still there. I f-ing HATE Facebook but need to use it for my music and business.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by doctornamtab

old news, facebook did this a while ago

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Yeah I'm a little late to the Facebook party. Were you able to take them off?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is why I never supplied a phone number.

Facebook is famous for privacy "accidents" that constantly happen. Do not have information on there you wouldn't want shared with strangers. This is a downward spiral.

First they start allowing friends of friends to see your information, then they started filtering your friends for you, only showing information from people you've interacted with "recently" meaning those people just disappear and you might even think they un-friended you.

Placing your own phone number on there is insanity, I didn't have to to access it from my phone, so I see no reason to have it there at all. As for contacts numbers, this doesn't surprise me at all. hopefully you've interacted with them recently so you can update your status to warn them to remove the numbers.

I still use facebook, but guys, take it for what it is, an information gather and selling tool, you don't necessarily have to feed it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This is only if you have a telephone number posted on your profile.

Take the telephone number off and you're good to go

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Yeah, I heard about them doing this and I've even seen a list of my friend's phone numbers. (of those who have them on fb). I think if you remove your # from your profile it should go away, but if you had it up there at all for any amount of time, I'm sure fb still has it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I recently typed my name, city and state in google and my name came up with my landline phone number (which is supposed to be unlisted) ...but without my address...how this happened ...I do not know.

So...if I am understanding you correctly.....your friend's phone numbers ..you never put on Facebook...they were copied from your mobile phone by someone that works for Facebook...and then published on Facebook?
edit on 11-8-2011 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2011 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Wow, thanks. I warned everybody. Not that I have many friends , only 20 but I know some who have like 200.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I went and removed the contacts and I just got the message "Your imported contacts were removed at your request" from facebook

I went to make sure and guess what they are still there....

Not suprising....

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Net Security article

if you have installed the Facebook mobile app your smartphone and, when asked by Facebook, agreed to sync the contacts on your phone with those in your Facebook account, the two lists have merged.

The good news is that you're the only user that can see those numbers. The bad news is that Facebook can, too - and that includes the numbers of people who don't have a Facebook account.

So, according to the NYT, the real losers in all of this are people who have refused to open a Facebook account because they value their privacy and don't want their information collected by the social network - their name and phone number is now in its hands.

edit on 11-8-2011 by LadyS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have a few people on facebook who are complaining about this. I don't get it.

You agreed to sync. Not only that, only you see the numbers. It's really a non issue, especially because it's ONLY the people who are on facebook to begin with.

I had a "friend" complain that she had people without facebook numbers show up. But on my contact page, it's only people who have facebook. So someone is fibbing here.

People who sign up for facebook (should) know that what you put out there will be available to people if you do not take the steps to hide it. People who sync their facebook to their phone should be aware of the same thing.

People complain about facebook....stop using it. plain and simple. let us "sheeple" give away our "privacy".

I've even taken to foursquare because who gives a damn? Screw paranoia.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thenewguy1987
I have a few people on facebook who are complaining about this. I don't get it.

You agreed to sync. Not only that, only you see the numbers. It's really a non issue, especially because it's ONLY the people who are on facebook to begin with.

I had a "friend" complain that she had people without facebook numbers show up. But on my contact page, it's only people who have facebook. So someone is fibbing here.

People who sign up for facebook (should) know that what you put out there will be available to people if you do not take the steps to hide it. People who sync their facebook to their phone should be aware of the same thing.

People complain about facebook....stop using it. plain and simple. let us "sheeple" give away our "privacy".

I've even taken to foursquare because who gives a damn? Screw paranoia.

I suggest you go to facebooks facebook page. You click on about at the bottom of the page, and read through the comments on the post that says

"Rumors claiming that your phone contacts are visible to everyone on Facebook are false. Our Contacts list, formerly called Phonebook, has existed for a long time. The phone numbers listed there were either added by your friends themselves and made visible to you, or you have previously synced your phone contacts with Facebook. Just like on your phone, only you can see these numbers."

You will find out that this is a lie a huge lie!! Even people who did not agree to sync or even sign up for facebook mobile had their numbers posted. EVERYONE CAN SEE THEM. This may seem like a big task as there are thousands of comments but if you want the truth you have to work for it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

I think people saying they didn't sync are lieing. The only way for facebook to have access to your phone is that you have a facebook app. Despite what some of us think, they are not some omnipotent force that can see everything....yet that is

I am in a conversation right now with someone who is saying their father's number is on the contacts page even though he doesn't have a facebook. The problem is, I only have about 10 or 15 people from my phone who showed up on my facebook contacts page. There is either a difference in privacy settings or phone OS.

And again, I don't get the big hub ub. We have to agree to a t&c. If we don't read it and Steve Jobs comes in and turns us into a HumancentiPad, it's our fault if we didn't read that.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by thenewguy1987
reply to post by ucantcme

I think people saying they didn't sync are lieing. The only way for facebook to have access to your phone is that you have a facebook app. Despite what some of us think, they are not some omnipotent force that can see everything....yet that is

I am in a conversation right now with someone who is saying their father's number is on the contacts page even though he doesn't have a facebook. The problem is, I only have about 10 or 15 people from my phone who showed up on my facebook contacts page. There is either a difference in privacy settings or phone OS.

And again, I don't get the big hub ub. We have to agree to a t&c. If we don't read it and Steve Jobs comes in and turns us into a HumancentiPad, it's our fault if we didn't read that.

That may be the case but I know people personally that did not use facebook mobile EVER and their numbers are posted. Some of them don't even have internet access on their phones. Rare I know but they are still out there. So that means they are taking peoples numbers without thier concent from their friends. Some people may not care but others do. I read the Terms and Conditions when I signed up but that was years ago. It's probably much different now. Some people are probably liars yes but not all of them.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by thenewguy1987

People who sign up for FB get what the sign up for, but those who do NOT should not be included.

Did you miss the article I posted right above your post? Synching involves more then *just those who are on FB.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyS

No I saw that article.

The point is: so what if your friends have your phone number on their facebook? It just means facebook created a rolladex for it's users.

But until I see on MY facebook that someone without a facebook, their number is on my contact page, I simply don't by the paranoia. I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that I am the one and only who's mother, who doesn't have and never will get near a facebook, that her number is not showing up on my facebook. And she isn't the only one. MOST of my contact list on my phone do not have a facebook, but the 15 or so that do show up on my facebook contact page.

Something isn't 'syncing' up.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I posted this some time ago..
sorse

Along with instructions to delete the numbers

top topics

join