It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a difference between the 1992 LA riots and the 2011 England riots?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I don't know but for me, the LA 1992 riots is a lot worse than the 2011 England riots. Both were instigated by perceived police injustice against a poor black man.
But this August's fatal shooting of 29-year-old Mark Duggan, by officers of the Metropolitan Police Service, has been given much media attention for its more complex criminal buildup, as cops were allegedly investigating Duggan for gun crime. England also had a strick gun-control.

Remember the LA riots where the Koreans tried to shoot back the black gangs? I mean what is it like without having to arm yourself with a gun? Cops sometimes always cannot look at for you. I'm pretty sure that most British don't like having guns as far as i'm concerned.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
There is no difference they're both started by the same reason, sick of the oppression and brutality of police officers.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
A country that outlaws guns is much more likely to have less gun crime, i dont know statistics but im sure that you will find alot more people were killed in the USA because of guns than in the UK

On to the point at hand though, guns are outlawed (except in certain circumstances) in Britain and pretty much all of the 'civilised world' because they pose a real threat to society... Yes they may be useful for protecting your home but they can be used for alot more!

Gun should be outlawed no matter what, unless for shooting licenses such as clay pigeon shooting ect. That way, if someone is caught with one then he's going down

I would like to hear any reasonable case in with legalising guns makes a country better, because last time i heard the USA had more gun crime than any other civilised country (USA/Canada/UK/France/Germany ect)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I was actually in the middle of the LA riots working in Long Beach at the time and yes they did spread that far however I would say that after about the first hour it just turned into a giant block party where the entertainment was looting and burning.

At one point we were seeing a new smoke plume every 10 minutes or so but never once felt threatened. I'd say the other riots are far more serious.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorsBrother

Guns being owned by anyone give that individual a freedom which is why it was put into the Constitution and any country that has more freedom is a better country than those that don't.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Mexico has very strict anti-gun laws, yet they are in the news daily for mass murders committed in the drug war. I went down there and it's like in Afghanistan. Well actually most of the guns were actually illegally stolen from somewhere else in the states. Just look at California gun laws and it has the highest crime rate in the world. I wonder if you can show me a video where some British person shoot their guns into gangs memeber like the Koreans in LA did.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Americans have guns, and English don't...
right?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

yep you bet

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I think i read somewhere that the US has more laws than any other country on earth....

But more to the point, giving any uneducated delinquent the right to carry a gun is unjustifiable. Obviously in this country (UK) we have knife crime, which i bet is still less than the US, but you can stop that as it is part of your kitchen at home.... But some loon that has a gun, whether it be assault rifle or pistol has the responsibility of alot more lives on his hands than of that of a knife wielder.

If someone goes on the rampage with a knife it is cured by a wrestle by a group or even a victim to get the knife from him, a loony with a gun you are looking at numerous dead and a police standoff for a few hours and then the said gun carrier gets shot by police if needs be and nobody comes to justice

This is totally my view and it's only in my opinion that i am right, obviously, but im sure a few will agree

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

That's because the USA has more population than the entire continent of Europe. 300 millions people compare let's say about 140 million people in Europe. if England has 300 million, it would have the same crime rate as ours.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15

Mexico has very strict anti-gun laws, yet they are in the news daily for mass murders committed in the drug war. I went down there and it's like in Afghanistan. Well actually most of the guns were actually illegally stolen from somewhere else in the states. Just look at California gun laws and it has the highest crime rate in the world. I wonder if you can show me a video where some British person shoot their guns into gangs memeber like the Koreans in LA did.

edit on 11-8-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

That is pretty much what i am getting at, Mexico, for all intents and purposes, is not a civilised country, obviously by all the things you hears on the news and websites it has no control over its populace so as an anti-gun law nation it is a weak example... But as you say, California has an over the top crime rate with guns allowed, it's terrible. The UK and most of the EU don't have this problem

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   

That's because the USA has more population than the entire continent of Europe. 300 millions people compare let's say about 140 million people in Europe. if England has 300 million, it would have the same crime rate as ours.

Another person that is totally oblivious to the working out of percentages against population, does anyone care to explain it to him???

And Europe has more people than the USA

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

California has a lot stricter guns law and it has a highest crime rate. Just look at the nations that don't have it let's say Maine for example, and the crime rate there is low. Depending in the situation.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

the simularity ? - 99% of the rioters and thier actions in both cases - had ZERO to do with the ` causus belli `

the differences - mr king was given ` punishment beating ` while in custody - mr duggan was shot because he was an armed suspect resisting arrest

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

ROFLMAO - you really think that demographics plays no part in crime rates ?????

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I would say accent's
,no seriously.Most here on ATS don't even know what the rioting was originally about.No it wasn't about the police shooting at all.There was a peaceful demonstration over that matter.It was not until the police at the said demonstration,beat the living daylights out of a young 16 year old girl with battons and boots did it turn to a riot.I don't think even many of the rioting are aware of why it started.Simply people releaving their frustration at the system and some oppertunist's thrown in for good measure.This movement is being hi jacked now and turned around against the people.Very clever psychology being put to use for a greater purpose.Now they are defecting the issues away from themselves and turning the people agaist each other.
edit on 11-8-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

But this August's fatal shooting of 29-year-old Mark Duggan, by officers of the Metropolitan Police Service, has been given much media attention for its more complex criminal buildup, as cops were allegedly investigating Duggan for gun crime.

As opposed to the Rodney King case, where the cops were tageting a law abiding citizen going about his peaceful daily life.
Oh wait...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Rodney King was on drugs at that time. I think Mark Dugga was suspected of having a gun but nerveless shot to death. And some people in LA i talked too still hated the blacks for what they did, saying they done more harm to the community and can't think straight. sounds pretty racist to me.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

California has a lot stricter guns law and it has a highest crime rate. Just look at the nations that don't have it let's say Maine for example, and the crime rate there is low. Depending in the situation.

Are you drunk?!

It was confusing but i think i deciphered it enough for a reply, and here it is:

What would america be like without guns? Probably alot better. And, whats that? Oh put that cliche away about protecting your homes, if the rest of the gun free world can do without them and still have less burglarys im sure you lot can

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I also think the LA riots were a lot worse. The rioters in England are mainly looting and destroying property. The LA rioters were a lot more violent. 53 dead and thousands wounded.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join