It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people seek the truth, when they don't want to hear it...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Is there a 'magical' source for credible information I'm unaware of? Is there some way to pass on truthful or factual information, that cannot be seen as questionable? Are we in a paradigm now where literally everything is infinitely questionable? Is 2 + 2 really 5?

Like many of you, I can't say anything to anyone anymore without all of my sources or claims being questioned should they go against mainstream media, religious beliefs, or personal beliefs. It's almost as if people have now intentionally built their own faux-reality's all for the comfort of preserving a sense of anchored awareness. People are trapped within these misconceptions, and there seems to be little to nothing that you can do about changing this, and it gets worse every day, as people distance themselves further and further from reality.

I guess we'll never know.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
When Yeshua's disciples asked Him, "How do we pray to the Father as you do"? Yeshua told them, "Go into your secret room, where only the Father can hear you". FYI....that's in your mind, where no other can hear you except for the one who made you. Don't rely on other people, please don't. It's relying on others that screws us up!
edit on 11-8-2011 by SurvivalInstinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I'll have to say but religious people are definitely some of the most furtherst from reality.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

I agree.

Hence a rant from a short while ago by me...

ATS isn't about truth anymore

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Please provide proof of your thoughts.

kidding.

I agree. I hate the smug replies you often read on here, like 'No picture? then your lying'
like with ufo's. some people dont want to even entertain the notion that there is even the slightest possibility that they exist.
the evidence may be circumstantial but theres so much of it that if you dumped it in the ocean fiji would be drowned.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I would agree as well,

The Truth I believe is indefinite and it varies for each individual. Hence, what one may consider as truth may be irrelevant to another.

I think that's what makes everyone unique, because not everyone sees the world through the same window, in other words, we all have different perspectives, and beliefs.

It's hypocrisy, to call someone delusional when we all don't know for a fact how we come to be. Science is still evolving we're still learning, I don't think we should close our minds and rule out possibilities with complete arrogance.

It really is a shame, we are a unique few with one purpose, and that is to find out the TRUTH.
Thus we should be a team, and work towards finding the truth.

Peace to all.

edit on 11-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
The Truth != Your Truth

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Unfortunately there is certainly no magical source of information.

Really, IMHO, it boils down to, a priori, and, a posteriori, knowledge or in simpler terms deductive and inductive logic.

Some people just cannot seem to get their heads around, on occasion, either concept. To give you an example;

I point to a clock on the wall and ask you is that a clock.

You look at it and see that it has hands and twelve numbers and therefore fits what you understand to be a clock. You say it is a clock simply through deductive reasoning and you would be correct.

I say the time is two o’clock.

You look at the clock and you see the small hand pointing at 2 and the big hand pointing at 12. This fits to what you believe to be 2 o’clock. You say that it is certainly 2 o’clock and you would be wrong. In this instance you would need to apply inductive reasoning by collecting data from other clocks to ensure that it was in fact 2 o’clock.

The data you collect allows you to analyse the possibility as to whether it is two o’clock or not. You will get varying results, however you will be able to collect enough data to state to a level of certainty the probability that it is in fact 2 o’clock.

It is the lack of understanding or appreciation that most things should be considered in terms or probability that I find frustrating. There are quite a number of forums here where the lack of this type of understanding is prevalent, particularly those dealing with UFOs and religious/atheist discussions.

In the end people seek the truth because they are curious, they appear to not want to hear it because they don’t understand it.

Cheers

edit on 11-8-2011 by myselfaswell because: typo

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
Why do people seek the truth, when they don't want to hear it...???
There are multiple reasons for this, but my opinion is that this particular reason is the overall most correct answer:

[color=C9BE62]Many people, are not exactly seeking the truth. What they are actually seeking for is confirmation. They are wanting to be confirmed by others, that the things they were taught or told when they were younger, is the honest and accurate truth.

[color=6CC417]
As children:
  • what their parents taught them
  • what the church has taught them
  • what their school teachers taught them
  • what TV has taught them

As teenagers:
  • what movies have taught them
  • things they are beginning to see happening around them
    Also:
  • still their parents teachings
  • for some, still the church's teachings

As young adults (late teens, early 20's):
  • what new friends, have told them
  • what politicians are saying
  • things being learned on the internet
    (in this day and age, but not so much for me at that time)
  • Things the news media says

As adults:
  • what life has taught them

[color=C9BE62]Much of what was taught to most of us as children, is what we really want to believe. For most, those are the simple things. Those are the happier things. Most of this made many of us believe that the world was a good place, and life will undoubtedly, be a happy experience. Regardless of how outlandish, some of these things begin to appear, many still want this to be true. For some, it takes awhile before the ultimate definitive realization occurs.

If you believe that the world is a happy place, and life is great for everyone, then that is something that you have a great desire to continue to believe. Regardless of how many times you see hostility, hate, anger, violence, death, and sadness; many want to believe that there are only a small number of those events.

[color=9AFEFF]Many start out disbelieving many truths, simply because they show that our world is full of negativity. Almost everyone begins life, wanting to be happy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

[color=FBB117]By the time many are deep into the adult stage, the ultimate realization is finally accepted: Our world is full of disgust, and life sucks.

edit on 8/11/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

• posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:19 AM
    link   

Originally posted by afghanibullrider

I'll have to say but religious people are definitely some of the most furtherst from reality.

That is your opinion. Neither you, nor I, can accurately say that this statement is a definitive fact.

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012

The Truth I believe is indefinite and it varies for each individual. Hence, what one may consider as truth may be irrelevant to another.

I think that's what makes everyone unique, because not everyone sees the world through the same window, in other words, we all have different perspectives, and beliefs.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:20 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
    I agree. I hate the smug replies you often read on here, like 'No picture? then your lying'
    like with ufo's. some people dont want to even entertain the notion that there is even the slightest possibility that they exist.
    the evidence may be circumstantial but theres so much of it that if you dumped it in the ocean fiji would be drowned.

Thing is, even if you get them that 'picture', it won't be enough. They will then want to know the source of the picture. They will then add in the possible ways it could have been manipulated. If you claim it wasn't, they want to know who took the photograph. Then they want to know more about that person. Who they are affiliated with. Ad infinitum.

I really do love that people are questioning things more. don't get me wrong, but at some point you have to just say "Okay, I think I am being a little ridiculous."

"When we believe in nothing, we'll fall for anything." I guess that is starting to make sense now.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd61652ad489.png[/atsimg]

So much for 'waking people up' and all...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:51 PM
    link   
    Let's not forget that there are those who "prefer" lies. When your eyes are accustomed to darkeness they hurt at the first glare of light. This whole fear or over'skepticism about the paranormal an what is extraterrestrial is all about our 3D darkness.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:20 PM
    link   

Originally posted by Exv8densez
    Let's not forget that there are those who "prefer" lies. When your eyes are accustomed to darkness they hurt at the first glare of light.

In other words, the truth hurts.

It hurts to give the truth.
    It hurts to receive the truth.
    Therefore, it hurts to know the truth.

The end is near.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
    link   
    The truth...what is exactly the truth for each individual?

My analogy is: Lets say there are 10 people in a room....and these 10 people are all looking at the same painting.

When each person is asked about the painting....they all say something different....yet their statements are all true...their individual truths.

You can think...well yes...but some truths are all the same.....but are they? For instance...the sky is blue...that seems to be true for all....but....what color of blue....many may differ on that...yet their viewpoints of the color blue are all true to them...their truth.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:02 PM
    link   

Originally posted by caladonea
    The truth...what is exactly the truth for each individual?

My analogy is: Lets say there are 10 people in a room....and these 10 people are all looking at the same painting.

When each person is asked about the painting....they all say something different....yet their statements are all true...their individual truths.

You can think...well yes...but some truths are all the same.....but are they? For instance...the sky is blue...that seems to be true for all....but....what color of blue....many may differ on that...yet their viewpoints of the color blue are all true to them...their truth.

Truth is just that, truth. It is perceived differently by all, but it is still truth.

The problem now, is that people are questioning what they know to be truth just as they would question what they know to be fantasy.

Before you could say "Seeing is believing." Not anymore.
    edit on 8/11/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:17 AM
    link   

The problem is in trying to comprehend it. For people that have trusted the government and media their whole life it does not makes sense that 9/11 was an inside job. It means that they have been lied to and conned their whole life for such a seemingly outrageous claim. If 9/11 was a lie, then what else is a lie? The economy, taxes, law, family, me? How could they be sure anything is true, it took me a few days to reassess everything once the realisation was made that the inside job for 9/11 is the only logical conclusion. As a programmer I value science and logic which helped it coming to terms with the scale of the problems.

Neural networks work based on a weighed system of trial and error. Pattern matching is a big part of it and when a piece that is presented that does not fit it is either discard or the picture is changed. The concepts of right and wrong, reward and punishment, work of fail are used to establish our understanding and interactions with the environment.

A very large shift in understanding is required to understand just how big and deep the problems go. With so much approval of the government and media portrayed by the media it does take a lot of reasoning and questioning to come to terms with what the truth actually is. There is also a lot of uncertainty for those that look into it which some people are not comfortable with. The repercussions of facing the truth are life changing.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:28 AM
    link   

Truth is just that, truth. It is perceived differently by all, but it is still truth.

It is all perceived the same through the same senses of light, sound, touch, taste and smell. Where it is different is in how we process and understand this information. Our life experiences, quality of our sensors, education and values all go into how we make sense of this information with what is kept and discard and how our understanding continues to adapt and grow.

top topics

join