It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bio-Weapons, Zombies, and... er... Duct Tape.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
so... the CDC put up a "Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse" post on their website.

In their 'kit' of supplies .. to survive this Zombie Apocalypse...
they mention to stock up on Duct Tape.
No reason given, just that it's a good thing to have during a Zombie Pandemic.
All I could think of would be to .. uh.. tape up wounds? - of course there's always the fact that you could cover up a hole in your house in the case of a tornado or hurricane but they're not talking about that - they're talking about Zombies...

* Water (1 gallon per person per day)
* Food (stock up on non-perishable items that you eat regularly)
* Medications (this includes prescription and non-prescription meds)
* Tools and Supplies (utility knife, duct tape, battery powered radio, etc.)
* Sanitation and Hygiene (household bleach, soap, towels, etc.)
* Clothing and Bedding (a change of clothes for each family member and blankets)
* Important documents (copies of your driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate to name a few)
* First Aid supplies (although you’re a goner if a zombie bites you, you can use these supplies to treat basic cuts and lacerations that you might get during a tornado or hurricane)

so this reminded me of the other seemingly silly mention of the recommended use of Duct Tape by a government agency.

the Department of Homeland Security posted a page in 03' amid scares of terrorist biological weapons attacks.
link - www.dhs.gov...

How To Prepare For a Biological Attack
* Assemble a disaster supply kit, including:
* Battery-powered commercial radio with extra batteries
* Non-perishable food and drinking water
* Roll of duct tape and scissors
* Plastic for doors, windows, and vents for the room in which you will shelter in place. To save time during an emergency, sheeting should be pre-measured and cut for each opening.
* First aid kit
* Sanitation supplies, including soap, water and bleach

Now this points me to think that the Duct Tape mentioned in the Zombie survival kit, would be used for the same recommended use as the time it is mentioned in the Bio-Weapons kit... leading me to the connection that if there were a Zombie Outbreak, then it would be caused by a biological weapons attack on the entire nation.

It's interesting to see people guffaw and snicker at the concept of a Zombie Apocalypse.... i mean.. it's the only real chance they have at diminishing the global population... and just because there are fictional movies made of it.. doesn't mean it's impossible. In fact it's quite possible.. they're already rocking aggressive immortal zombie mice in labs.

....now, where's my machete... (notice they didn't put that one on the list....)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
In the event of a biological attack, duct tape is used to seal all openings. This way, the contaminated air has a more difficult time getting into you environment. I don't know how it would hold off zombies though. And your first link isn't working.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I laugh generally at the concept..big zombie genre fan, however, come on...

well, I used to laugh anyhow, then I noted that they actually created a sort of rage virus in mice...I made a thread about it here: Zombies created...sorta...in mice. Aggression virus created

So...ya, its only a matter of time before uncontrollable rage comes over populated areas through a virus form...not because its a neat sci-fi concept, but because it is an actual demonstrated experiment (of course the article discusses its possible treatment in violent people.)

Not sure duct tape will stop an irrational bloodthirsty psychopath that kills anyone he see's...however, we are not the only game in town..a new terrorist attack could be imported through bloodstream verses bag

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
guys - think you're missing my point here...

i said they say to use duct tape to tape up windows in the event of a bio-attack

and they also say stock up on duct tape during a zombie pandemic.

the connection here is that you'd be using the duct tape in both events to prevent you and yours from inhaling whatever bio agent is sprayed .. thus not becoming a zombie.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
dubble post
edit on 8/11/2011 by prevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Duct tape to re enforce and attach things quickly;

Clothing for one- Get a zombie scratch on your leather or mail armor, patch it up quickly, less skin exposed, less possible blood leakage for them to smell.

Wounds, tourniquet top bandage layer use, if you can't get to your first aid kit and or bob.

Wanna safely secure a screaming friend of family members or barre them in somewhere while you take care of the rabid bodies,

Have a compound air leak(don't want those zombies gettin' a sniff of your living flesh nor do you want the said chemicals filling your home); further enclose the house, out of caulking, there you go seal the windows, doors and holes.

Also,
Lost some straps? Need a way to attach stuff to you, check!
edit on 11-8-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Tape, wire and liquid nails is great for temporary fixes with all kind of things. If you have a scientist in your clan then the tape could also come in handy for restraining the zombies when looking for a cure.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
While I'm not sure if this is why they included it, it makes for a quick substitute armor.

You layer it over vulnerable areas (forearms, lower legs) and make them bite-proof.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Bare necessities...water, food, duct tape. My backpack is packed. Bring it on!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saidin
While I'm not sure if this is why they included it, it makes for a quick substitute armor.

You layer it over vulnerable areas (forearms, lower legs) and make them bite-proof.

nice one! hadn't thought of that!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Originally posted by Saidin

nice one! hadn't thought of that!

hazmat suit, duct tape, katana, good swordsmanship and supplies.. bring it on! Now it depends if zombies are slow or fast (like in 28days later), if they can jump, swim, do basics things or if they are retarded brainless zombies.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Duct Tape...it's like the Force in Star Wars...

It's got a Light side and a Dark side, and binds the galaxy together....

That said, here's a good use for it.

If you suspect someone's been infected, use the duct tape to restrain them until the onset time has elapsed, that way, if they DO turn, they'll be incapable of moving, and much easier to kill.

Or

Duct tape two clips together, end to end, for a quick change out of ammo.

Or

Put over someone's mouth if they make too much noise when the zombies are near

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Interesting connection you found. I'm in school to be a Veterinarian, and it's quite amazing to me, how relatively easy it would be to create a biological attack. In fact, that's one of the reasons I want to be a Veterinarian, to be on the for front of bio-terrorism/agro-terrorism and epidemiology. Everyone is shocked because they think it's mostly human doctors, MD's, who do all of that stuff, but with the rise of Zoonotic diseases, it's no wonder Vets are becoming more and more on the forefront of this sort of stuff.

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeZutch

plum island

top topics

join