It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux Installing programs from the web?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
How do I install programs from the web on Linux, I know there is a command but I can't find what it is.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

You see your sidebar on the side? Scroll your mouse till you find Ubuntu software center, then get into the programme click which one you want and hit install. Good luck

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

edit on 10-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
just down load save file and
try running it through synaptic package manager.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
apt-get install [package]

Try reading some of the manual pages! GNU/Linux is actually a blast to learn and has a very straight forward command interface for some of the more simple stuff!

Good luck, and enjoy the full power of GNU/Linux my friend!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

What distro?

What is the name of your OS?

edit on 10-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

edit on 10-8-2011 by LadyS because: redundant

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3
apt-get install [package]

Try reading some of the manual pages! GNU/Linux is actually a blast to learn and has a very straight forward command interface for some of the more simple stuff!

Good luck, and enjoy the full power of GNU/Linux my friend!

that should work on most debian based linux OS's such as ubuntu, kubuntu, debian and (i think) gentoo (could be fedora core tho).

if your downloaded file is in the form of a 7z (7zip) file then you will need to extract the files first before you can install them.

Also.. the installer may be in the form of a shell script (*.sh) file.

These can be run from the command line using something like "./sh install_file.sh" without the quotes.

what is the program you are installing and what is your current OS. Its not one of these Droid netbooks is it? in which case the procedure will be diferent.

Cheers and peace!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
What the OP Needs to do, if they can still read this, is use a laptop or different pc on a lan and boot a ubuntu live cd. You should be able to use that perfectly to browse the web and look for answers without having to reboot after evert attempt!

?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

You should first tell us what kind of file you are trying to download and what kind of distro you are using, as it is different depending on the distro.
If it is ubuntu a .deb file for that distro then it should be as easy as double clicking it.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I just installed Ubuntu on my laptop computer. I am learning to use it but I am unable to get Wine to open. Any ideas on this?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cdnutz44

wine will not work until you have run it first as admin and configured it.

i think its something like: sudo wine-config

once its ran for the first time it will setup your virtual c: drive and file system and add the rest of the menu items to the wine menu.

What are you intending on using wine for? there may be a better option.

Peace

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

wanted to use Wine to play pokerstars....no big deal but it is the one thing I miss from windows.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Sorry I haven't been on the computer in a while. The program can't be downloaded in the software center.

It is a Nintendo Emulator, it is a tar.gz so its a zipped file with source code needs to be compiled, so this would be command line stuff..

I don't mess with any Microsoft programs, don't see a point, Linux has everything I want.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

what distro are you running ?

on mine (mandriva) there are a couple of super nes, nes, gameboy, gameboy advance, virtual boy, ds, n64 and gamecube,

most of these are through my restricted repositories so not available unless i add them,
and as i use a redhat based system which uses rpm's then i guess they should be available for fedora, suse, pclinuxos and any others that use rpm's,

in fact i've just installed ubuntu in a virtual machine and some are available through synaptic,
and as ubuntu uses .deb's then i guess they are offered for all debian based systems

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If you are using Fedora like me its

Yum install "package"

If you want to remove something its

Yum remove "package"

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Debian based distros use .deb files and RedHat based ones use .rpm files for installation.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint for example use .deb for installation while Fedora, Mandriva, and OpenSUSE use .rpm for installation of programs.

Those are the two most common types though there are others for more advanced based user distros.
edit on 20-8-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I am using "Mint KDE" I have been having some graphic problems with Mupen64plus. Missing textures and skipping sound, not all games. I usually go to coolrom.com I was hoping for fake64 to work.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tygart
I am using "Mint KDE" I have been having some graphic problems with Mupen64plus. Missing textures and skipping sound, not all games. I usually go to coolrom.com I was hoping for fake64 to work.

Sounds like a graphics driver issue. Trying switching to a different one under your hardware settings.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I suggest you edit your post, I don't think piracy or discussion of warez is allowed on ATS because of how illegal they are.

You are free to discuss the emulator itself.
And yes, coolrom is piracy and illegal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join