It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NEW case for Secession ( POLISCI 351C Thesis)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani
See, I keep seeing this argument that "we" have the right to secede but no one is actually seceding. So what is the point of making the argument?

...conversation, discussion, sharing ideas - thats the point, imo...

To me, these types of threads just look like a 12 year old kid standing by the front door arguing about how they can run away. After a while I either want you to stop arguing and just run away already.

...no tolerance for repetition, huh?... i can appreciate that... my mom has alzheimers... i'm her only caregiver... she constantly repeats the same phrases... dont even get me started on how annoying her repetitive knot tieing or paper shredding is, lol...

...message boards are repetitious and thats because issues that affect people are... it would be wonderful if a problem came up and we could solve it and it never re-surfaced but thats not how life is...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

No, I can not prove God exist. It is my spiritual belief that he does though. And our founding fathers did as well. We are a Constitutional backed Republic, and you have the right to practise whatever religion you want, or none at all....You can stay as long as you like bro

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...conversation, discussion, sharing ideas - thats the point, imo...

Starting such an intimate discussion, with such a divisive concept is a bit odd.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bo12au

No, I can not prove God exist.

Yes, I know.

So this

reply to post by standrewscross

We Americans, are endowed with a natural God-given right to a government of our own choosing, and this natural right trumped the authority and sovereignty...

is worth just about what in light of that?
I guess maybe I am just curious when America came to be only for the people that believe in your god.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
..no tolerance for repetition, huh?... i can appreciate that... my mom has alzheimers... i'm her only caregiver... she constantly repeats the same phrases... dont even get me started on how annoying her repetitive knot tieing or paper shredding is, lol...

...message boards are repetitious and thats because issues that affect people are... it would be wonderful if a problem came up and we could solve it and it never re-surfaced but thats not how life is...

It is not the repetition that bothers me so much. Not at all. It is the complete emptiness in it. That is what bothers me. Sorry if I was not more clear about that. I was agreeing with you that just saying shut up does no good. But I fail to see any good being done in trying to erroneously claim they have the right to secede, something they are not going to even try to do.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
Starting such an intimate discussion, with such a divisive concept is a bit odd.

...intimate?... with countless thousands having the ability to read our comments?...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   

It's just a package of adjectives they unthinkingly staple onto everything. There's no reason to it, only vapid blather.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

It's just a package of adjectives they unthinkingly staple onto everything. There's no reason to it, only vapid blather.

Kind of what it looked like. I sure do not mean to disparage anyone and their personal god but I cannot swallow this "we" crap when you barely have to scratch to find out that "we" is a really pretty select portion of America and not really all of us.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

reply to post by TheWalkingFox

It took SC fifty years or so to finally secede. They talked about it well before then as well. Same goes for the US leaving Briatain.

It is not spur of the moment.

It needs to be discussed repeatedly, with weightings of pros and cons, etc. It also needs to gather support.

I am sorry you want something now now now. Seems to be a symptom of the times, and is part of the reason this country is in the mess it's in.

If it really bothers you that much to read something, why do you read it?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

reply to post by hawkiye

I am not sure how the secessionists are going to keep a new rogue corporate government at bay, with so
many people and politicians wielding pro corporate outlooks...

That is a pickle

Well first hurdle would be getting a majority in the state wanting to secede. Then they could worry about how to go about it. That's why I say an easier option would be to just use that majority to elect officials that would not allow the federal government to over step its constitutional bounds and be willing to enforce it in the state. Then there would be no excuse to use force since they would not be seceding.
edit on 11-8-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
I am sorry you want something now now now. Seems to be a symptom of the times, and is part of the reason this country is in the mess it's in.

You should really try decaf.
Did you read the OP? The case being made, yet again, is that states have the RIGHT TO secede. This is different from your typical "we just wanna secede" thread. I am not saying I need the people that want to secede to hurry up. I am saying that the people that feel they have PROVEN they have the right too, need to stop trying to convince us and get on the ball. If they have that right, that discussion is over. Time to move on to phase 2. Why keep claiming you have the right over and over again unless it is possible you really do not?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

South Carolina seceded because they were afraid their "right" to own other human beings was going to be infringed upon. It's not a good reason, but it is a reason, and it's more than the modern "secessionists" have ever been able to come up with.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

reply to post by hawkiye

I am not sure how the secessionists are going to keep a new rogue corporate government at bay, with so
many people and politicians wielding pro corporate outlooks...

That is a pickle

Well first hurdle would be getting a majority in the state wanting to secede....Then there would be no excuse to use force since they would not be seceding.
edit on 11-8-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

Of course.
The easiest way to secede is to not secede.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

But I fail to see any good being done in trying to erroneously claim they have the right to secede,

...erroneous claim?... ah, so thats your real beef... ya know, thats just a matter of opinion... imo, we do have a right to seceed... i dont support it right now because no one has come up with a viable plan for after the legalities and, then, theres the massive likelihood that the usofa would bomb us into submission...

something they are not going to even try to do.

...but thats another presumption... there was a time, not so long ago, when most people believed no human would ever go out into space, much less land on the moon... millions of people focused on the probability of going into space and made it happen eventually...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

You should really try decaf.

Don't drink coffee, and do not see how that pertains to the subject.

Unless that was your attempt at a ad hominem.

Did you read the OP? The case being made, yet again, is that states have the RIGHT TO secede. This is different from your typical "we just wanna secede" thread. I am not saying I need the people that want to secede to hurry up. I am saying that the people that feel they have PROVEN they have the right too, need to stop trying to convince us and get on the ball. If they have that right, that discussion is over. Time to move on to phase 2. Why keep claiming you have the right over and over again unless it is possible you really do not?

In order to gather support, which will be needed, people have to learn the truth. It is repeated over and over to break through the brain-washing we have had that it is not a right, as evidenced by people (*cough cough* . . . erroneously claim they have the right to secede . . . *cough cough*).
edit on 8/11/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/11/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Actually, you should do some more research, and not fall prey to the emotional side of things.

I used to think the same thing, until I actually sat and researched it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Unless that was your attempt at a ad hominem.

Jesus hopping Christ, lemon.fresh. Don't make me explain what "ad hominem" means. Again. It's nit just a phrase you can force to mean whatever you want it to mean. it has a specific definition. Use it properly or stop using it. Use "insult" - it's closer to what you're looking for.

Stop abusing my language!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Because someone on this site might not know this info...Perhaps this person could be the next Dr. Martin Luther King? A Great speaker and a spark that lights a peaceful revolution.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Because someone on this site might not know this info...Perhaps this person could be the next Dr. Martin Luther King? A Great speaker and a spark that lights a peaceful revolution.

I do not understand how that answers my question even a little. It was not even a "why?" so just starting with because confuses me. I guess sometimes I take people on ATS more seriously than they expect me too.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Apparently you need to learn your language more.

--Abusive ad hominem (also called personal abuse or personal attacks) usually involves insulting or belittling one's opponent in order to attack his claim or invalidate his argument, but can also involve pointing out factual but apparent character flaws or actions that are irrelevant to the opponent's argument.--

Go QQ somewhere else.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join