It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's discuss the history and ideas behind Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
As I sit here typing this. Many people wouldn't believe the influence Islam has on my mind, my heart, and my soul. No, I'm not a Muslim and don't know about becoming a Muslim in the future. Other then Judaism I'm a supporter of Islam. The reason because Islam is truly faithful to Allah(God). While many would be questioning what do I mean. Look at Judaism in one hand and Islam in the other. This is where I'm submitting to God for guidance in life. As I see young Muslim women walk to college dressed in modest clothing; American women seem to wear the cheapest loose clothing, look like they have problems with narcotics and liquor, and have tattoos. Yes, all men do not like women who degrade themselves in public. There is no beauty in it.

"What kind of woman would want to be Muslim since they're oppressed!" This unfortunate comment was heard by Lisa Killinger upon her conversion to Islam in 1979 and this lecture, in essence, is her response. She begins by debunking the myth of oppression by outlining the lowly status of women in pre-Islamic Arabia and how Islam liberated and dignified them by giving them rights which are still practiced today. She then discusses the Muslim woman's right to vote, to an inheritance, to a divorce, to the use of birth control, to marriage to whomever is desired, and to an education.

Of course young people- even young Muslims have concerns like everyone else in the world and America.

Of course issues of racism have been a huge part of history. Malcolm X a man subjected to racism growing up and the becoming a leader of the Nation of Islam-one of the biggest racist groups in the U.S. Changed his views and truly became a Muslim after his trip to Africa and pilgrimage to Mecca.

"There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and non-white."

The same can said about inter-faith people. During the earliest times of Islam. Muslims were looking for place to hide from persecution. This video will influence both Muslims and Christians on how they truly should care for one another.

Islam even has influence of science.

I'm surprised of what and how much I wrote. You see? Islam is peace and holy. Though right now I'm not sure of being a Muslim. I will be willing to pray on it.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Sadly with the rise of Wahhabi and other extreme forms of Islam it seems Islam's image has been tainted

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Yes, I agree with you on that. Bringing the Muslim Brotherhood in the picture. The MB is heavily influenced by Wahhabi.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I recognize the beauty in all faiths. Thank you for sharing and may you practice in peace.

I won't be joining any organized religion, myself. I feel they all have the potential for inherent divisiveness and extremism which is picked up and driven by some personality types, for various reasons, some positive and some self-serving, which makes them all open for abuse, more's the shame.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
To the OP

So, to break down your argument to it's base points, it seems that you are a fan of Islam because:

it's women wear modest garb
it's women are less oppressed than they were in the middle east prior to the 600's
some people who have been subjected to persecution have converted to Islam
there were Islamic scientists

Is that accurate? Does that sum it up?

Are you just as enamored with LDS members? Or the Amish? What about Hasidim?

I'm not seeing anything in what you have posted that would make anyone a fan of Islam. Am I missing something?

Eric

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

No, I love Islam because all I have experienced with Islam. Not because it is something cool to like. You'd have to walk in my shoes to understand where I'm coming from on Islam. This thread is also about discussing Islam.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ok, well, I wish you well in your journey towards God.

Hopefully you will explore other faiths with as much fervor as you have Islam.

Good luck and God Bless.

Eric

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

Well thanks. I think I'm happier just believing. Judaism and Islam are big parts of my everyday study of faith.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

A very eye opening video.
I liked this video.

top topics

join