It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother bear kills cub then self at Chinese bile farm

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odessy
I dunno. I know I'll get flamed for having no facts to back me up...

but this just doesn't seem real...

I think someone is protesting bile farms (rightfully so) by making up a heart felt story.
I don't think a bear could kill itself by running into a wall.
I also don't think bile farm workers are unarmed... at least long enough to watch mother bear attempt to free her child, fail, hug it, strangle it, before running into a wall that killed it...

I believe in aliens... I don't I believe this...
edit on 11-8-2011 by Odessy because: (no reason given)

I meant to reply to this earlier but didn't get a chance to. Marvelous post.
I had the same exact knee jerk reaction to this story as everyone else did:
Sadness, Anger, and a slight feeling of helplessness. However one has to wonder are the farm workers w/o weapon at all and how exactly can a bear kill itself by running into a wall...its believeable to me considering the poor condition that the bears body was probably in but I do think it is fairer to ask questions.

Also I wonder since this(Chinas neverending cruelty to animals) has been going on for so long what can PETA really do? Seriously. How can we(outsiders) stop this mistreatment w/out damaging a culture and breaking long standing traditions?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiemonkfish
reply to post by predator0187

oh cmon, this post is such bull#. 'the mother cradled the cub in her arms before strangling her to death'? this is so clearly trying to humanise animal behavior. even if the bear did kill it's cub, it's alot more likely that it did so out of complete madness and it certainly didnt give it a cuddle first. and the it 'killed itself by running into a wall'? do you know how thick a bears skull is? that's just insane.
if these bile farms exist obviously that's horrific, but all this 'look a cat's crying because it's friend died' stuff just makes a mockery of animal cruelty.

Hm I read your post after I typed mine.

Yea the thickness of the bears skull got me but perhaps it ran into the wall repeatedly? Maybe there is far more to the story than we know. Maybe something went very wrong and the farm workers had to kill the bear and the cub...so to save face w/ the owner they concocted this story. Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Dig this. A hovermoth was trapped in the greenhouse. I took a newspaper and tried to help it. It clung on to the newspaper whilst I freed it and it settled on the stone in which i placed it.
Karma exists.

You may think you exist in the high and mighty but trust me the bear in the cage is never far away.

peace

I always thought i needed love but then I realised compassion was my first quality.

i

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
This story is the most disturbing thing I have read in a long time. It doesn't even matter if it is strictly true... it is getting the message out. I'd never heard of a bile farm before. Imagine being kept in a tiny cage where you could barely move and having your bodily fluids harvested FOR TWENTY YEARS. That is just the sickest thing I have ever heard. You know, it's one thing to kill animals for meat but it is another to torture them. Nature may be cruel at times but it is not completely heartless. This is unacceptable.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Universer

We do it to horses - for hormones, pregnancy tests and other things too.

We also create chimeras so we can harvest everything from stem cells to organs.

...Jeez. Is this whole thread just an anti-China rant? Take a look at your world, folks. It's ALL exploitive and cruel - for profit.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

reply to post by R1220518

I don't really know what your dog learning to open the door has to do with anything? The problem is people projecting human behavior onto animals. I agree that alot of animals are highly intelligent and are concious, thinking creatures. But this post is another attempt to humanise animals which belittles the actual issue. Keeping an animal in cramped conditions is wrong for many reasons but a bear/dog/cat/chicken whatever having a 'soul' in their eyes or 'understanding you' is irrelevant and most likely wrong. [/quote

Humanization is not the issue here but whether the animals suffer. Why should you be so arrogant in stating an animal 'understanding you' is irrelevant and most likely wrong. What is your defintion of a soul?

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by pastaway

reply to post by R1220518

I don't really know what your dog learning to open the door has to do with anything? The problem is people projecting human behavior onto animals. I agree that alot of animals are highly intelligent and are concious, thinking creatures. But this post is another attempt to humanise animals which belittles the actual issue. Keeping an animal in cramped conditions is wrong for many reasons but a bear/dog/cat/chicken whatever having a 'soul' in their eyes or 'understanding you' is irrelevant and most likely wrong. [/quote

Humanization is not the issue here but whether the animals suffer. Why should you be so arrogant in stating an animal 'understanding you' is irrelevant and most likely wrong. What is your defintion of a soul?

Of course the issue here is animal abuse, that's always been my point. I find it frustrating that so many people feel the need to belittle the issue by humanising everything. This thread is littered by people who think that their dog nussled them when their grandma died or they looked into a horses eyes and had a moment of 'understanding' or whatever but a) these kind of things are probably untrue and rely entirely on the perception of the person experiencing them and b) are irrelevant to the issue which is that in parts of the world animals are treated in an unnecesarily brutal way in the persuit of what is basically pseudo-science.
The issue of what a soul is/whether the 'soul' even exists is a whole other discussion.
I think what's happenening here is like seeing a 'face' on the moon. People instinctively look for familliarity and project that onto objects/animals. It's not to say that animals are thoughtless zombies, they clearly aren't and there's scientific study to prove it. But people saying things like 'my cats brother died and then it looked at me and meowed with such sadness in it's eyes and that's proof enough for me' is a really negative and frustrating attitude. Imagine if everyone had that kind of tunnel blind way of thinking. Nothing would be discovered or advanced. Animals and our pets especially are incredible creatures but believing that they are capable of the same level of emotional intelligence as humans is something we project and has absolutely no scientific backing and masks some of the more important issues.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Typical China, backward, f*cked up country.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

I don't know if animals commit suicide or if this is just sensational news. In my experience though animals do have feelings, some similar to humans.
edit on 13-8-2011 by winds because: spell error

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
Source

According to the Chinese media, a mother bear killed her cub before eventually killing herself, apparently in an attempt to save her baby from a life of pain and suffering on a bile farm in China.

Reports claim the mother bear heard her cub’s cries while workers attempted to puncture the stomach of the creature to harvest bile, which is believed to have healing properties.

The enraged mother bear broke free from her cage causing the workers to scatter in fear. She then made her way to her frightened cub and proceeded to make a futile attempt to free the scared animal.

After efforts to free her offspring failed, she hugged her cub before strangling it to death. Witnesses allege the mother bear dropped her dead cub before killing herself by running into a wall head first.

What a terrible story...

The fact that these animals are committing suicide should be telling enough. The minute a wild animal can think to create suicide there is something wrong.

We focus on the whales when this is a huge issue as well.

This is just plain disgusting...

Pred...

ETA: Actual news source.
news.asiaone.com...
edit on 10-8-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

NO WAY!!! - i am lost for words.

This is why i honestly do not like the chinese. Id rather America remains a superpower than China. Trust me on this one guys.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironsjack

you wanna know something else about that worthless country (who infact depend on the US contray to popular MSM belief) is that, they SKIN animals ALIVE!!! - YES... THEY SKIN ANIMALS ALIVE.

I saw a video once, very horrific, a video that scared me for LIFE. A chinese dude skinned a dog alive and the dog/wolf curled up iin the floor, as blood was seeping through his muscles. and it couldnt BLINK. ..

I dont wanna talk about it. All im going to say is I have no respect for the chinese due to multiple reasons.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
MODS:

While the practice of harvesting bile is indeed real it is point blank obvious that this story is a HOAX. Animals do not commit suicide, bears cannot strangle anything, and the bear obviously did not start saying "momma" in english.

Please move this thread to the HOAX bin. IMO ATS is tarnished by having something like this discussed as though it were real.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I have nothing against Chinese people. There are a few sick individuals doing this. The same as in the US.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

NO WAY!!! - i am lost for words.

This is why i honestly do not like the chinese. Id rather America remains a superpower than China. Trust me on this one guys

you wanna know something else about that worthless country (who infact depend on the US contray to popular MSM belief) is that, they SKIN animals ALIVE!!! - YES... THEY SKIN ANIMALS ALIVE.

I saw a video once, very horrific, a video that scared me for LIFE. A chinese dude skinned a dog alive and the dog/wolf curled up iin the floor, as blood was seeping through his muscles. and it couldnt BLINK. ..

I dont wanna talk about it. All im going to say is I have no respect for the chinese due to multiple reasons.

I was going to leave this thread, as i had made my point, but the three posts made above have annoyed the hell out of me. There is alot of evil and hate in this world, and these posts above prove my point. Yes, we all know that the people who do this are terrible people. Anyone who can do this to animals is a terrible person.

But why do you come onto this thread to bash all of china? There is bad in every country, but people like the posters above do not see these people as individuals, they see them as countries. So, if some chinese people hurt animals, that means all the chinese people are terrible. Its a sad, hateful and primitive way of thinking.

American soldiers were known to torture iraq people. There is footage of american soldiers blowing up sheep in Irag, and throwing a puppy of a cliff. Now, does that mean that all american soldiers are evil thugs? No, it does not, and because its your own country, then you only label other countries as a collective entity, like the borg.

Please people! Don't let these people spread all this negative hate on people they don't even know. Yes, these people who do terrible things should be Condemned, but we do not need these type of people spreading hate.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Universer
reply to post by soficrow

I have nothing against Chinese people. There are a few sick individuals doing this. The same as in the US.

Thank you!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Well, prejudice is just as unacceptable as animal torture. I personally think it is also a sign of a low IQ. Or as one psychologist put it, a sign of some kind of "general conceptual failure." Maybe they just drank the water.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Universer
reply to post by Jay-morris

Well, prejudice is just as unacceptable as animal torture. I personally think it is also a sign of a low IQ. Or as one psychologist put it, a sign of some kind of "general conceptual failure." Maybe they just drank the water.

This is what bugs me on this thread. Too many people fight hate with hate, and they don't even know it. The people responsible are the ones that do these terrible things, but to hate a country and its people because of it is just not right!

But this is just the way we have been brainwashed to think, and that is to blame the country and its people as a whole. The people who do this though only have this state of mind when it comes to other countries. Like i said before, the people who have said these things on this thread, do they think all american soldiers are murderers and horrible people, just because of the few that are? No, they don't, but they think its ok to label another country as sick and evil, just because of some people that do terrible things.

Its a hateful and primitive way of thinking, and it really saddens me that there are so many hateful people in the world like this.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Universer

There are a few sick individuals doing this. The same as in the US.

A few? ...Our planet's entire economic system is designed to run on "this" kind of activity. The over-riding laws governing us all are trade laws - there's no consideration of civil rights or human rights - and certainly not animal rights.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I took my family to Florida for a month last year and one day we headed to Seaworld in Orlando, it was the most depressing family outing day ever.

The polar bear was pacing back and forth along the glass wall of his enclosure. It was obvious something was wrong with it's mind, I saw the same repetitious type movements while working at the state pstchiatric hospital in St Peter MN, it's a sign of insanity. Even my little ones asked what was wrong with the bear.

Some animals just don't do well in cages.
edit on 13-8-2011 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
If you are moved by this story, please consider going to www.animalsasia.org and donating even $10 bucks. Any amount will help. This is a huge problem in China and Vietnam.

The founder of this organization, Jill Robinson was a housewife from the U.K. and was invited to a private home while on a business trip to China with her husband. When the hostess proudly asked her if she wanted to "see her bear" Jill had no idea what a horror she was in for. She was led to the dark basement of the house where a catheterized bear was laying in a cage so small it couldn't even roll over. It had lived like that foryears.

Jill went back to the U.K. but couldn't forget that bear. She started Animals Asia to rescue bears and work with the governments to end this barbaric practice. She's been recognized by the Queen and featured in a National Geographic show. I've been proud to support this organization for many years.

If you go to their site, you'll have the joy of seeing happy endings for the bears they've rescued. Each has a story. Makes me cry when I see the bears walk and head out into the sunshine after not being on their feet for sometimes as long as 20 years. Animals Asia is also working to stop the torture and consumption of dogs and cats their too. Though bear farming is a long way from ending, I am encouraged by the progress they've make. There is hope. Please consider sending them something that is the best way to help the bears.

edit on 13-8-2011 by IamLael because: typo

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join