It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother bear kills cub then self at Chinese bile farm

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+174 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Source

According to the Chinese media, a mother bear killed her cub before eventually killing herself, apparently in an attempt to save her baby from a life of pain and suffering on a bile farm in China.

Reports claim the mother bear heard her cub’s cries while workers attempted to puncture the stomach of the creature to harvest bile, which is believed to have healing properties.

The enraged mother bear broke free from her cage causing the workers to scatter in fear. She then made her way to her frightened cub and proceeded to make a futile attempt to free the scared animal.

After efforts to free her offspring failed, she hugged her cub before strangling it to death. Witnesses allege the mother bear dropped her dead cub before killing herself by running into a wall head first.

What a terrible story...

The fact that these animals are committing suicide should be telling enough. The minute a wild animal can think to create suicide there is something wrong.

We focus on the whales when this is a huge issue as well.

This is just plain disgusting...

Pred...

ETA: Actual news source.
news.asiaone.com...
edit on 10-8-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
WTF!!!! Man people should be friggin ashamed!! Cowards and criminals, imo! Thanks for ruining my day! I know you didn't mean too man, but @#% I gotta take a break!

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is such a sad, distressing story, but I'm glad those poor abused bears are now out of the reach of any more fear and pain. We have got to find a way to put a stop to this madness!
edit on 10-8-2011 by lowundertheradar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I don't know much about the Bile Farms, but something needs to be changed.

This is just, not tolerable at all.

+44 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The Chinese have always been extremely guilty of not only Human rights but Animal rights as well. Of course it does go on all over the World and North America is not exempt.

The difference being that it seems to be more accepted or just simply ignored in China.

More and more, cruelty to animals is being exposed in China and Asia as a whole and the main reason seems to be for "Stamina" in men.

Eating something live or even just a certain part of animal while wasting the rest is usually done in the name of "Stamina".

I lived in Asia for over 8 years and it's still surprising to me. What is more surprising is that Turtle blood is available at Wall-Marts in China. Huh? This just shows that even Westerners are not exempt from ignoring animal cruelty when it comes to the profit line.

I went on to read more responses in this thread and surprisingly many are denying that it exists.

So...

ANIMAL PARTS AND CHINESE MEDICINE
factsanddetails.com...

Chinese medicine shops often sell things like dried starfish, bear paws, dried snakes, starfish flakes, dried scorpions, horse gallstones, rats fetuses picked in oil, turtle shells, powdered snakes, powdered horns, fuzzy elk antlers, frogs, birds' beaks, snakeskins, umbilical cords from donkeys and herring spawn wrapped in kelp—or medicines that contain these things as one of their ingredients. Medicines made from animals often purport to have properties which are associated with the animal.

Elephant skin is taken for acne; monkey heads are eaten for headaches and turtle heads are consumed for labor pains. Snakes are supposed to make one stronger. Snake glands are good for the eyes. Powdered snake gall bladder is reputed to be a cure for bronchitis. Coin snakes are one of the more popular remedies. Held together with sticks, they are sold coiled up with the head popping out of the middle and fact look like black quarters. They are boiled into a thick black liquid that is sipped like tea.

Chinese believe that eating turtles is supposed to make one live longer. Turtles have long been associated with longevity. Tons of turtles from five different species are shipped from Malaysia and Vietnam to China. Turtle blood is available at Wall-Marts in China. Lizards are taken for high blood pressure and the skulls of gazelles are ground into powder to make people strong. Bull gallstones are highly valued and very expensive. They are yellowish and about the size of nickels and are used to treat fevers and inflammation

Insects used Chinese medicine include pulverized weaver ants for asthma, powered cockroaches for stroke and silkworm feces for typhus. Dried cicadas are boiled in a soup to improve eyesight. Bee venom, honey and other bee products have been used for centuries by as folk remedies in China. Black scorpions sell for $12 a pound. Dragon bones, actually ancient human and animal bones, play a significant role in Chinese culture.

In the past they were prized for their medicinal qualities and used to treat malaria and other diseases. Now they are treasured not only by paleo-anthropologists but also by nationalists seeking to prove the biological continuity and singularity of the Chinese people. [Source: Sheila Melvin, New York Times, August 28, 2008]

edit on 10-8-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
WTF!!!! Man people should be friggin ashamed!! Cowards and criminals, imo! Thanks for ruining my day! I know you didn't mean too man, but @#% I gotta take a break!

Sorry, my apologies. But, if your not mad then your not paying attention.

And this, while this pisses me off...

Pred...

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I have heard of over worked donkeys in the Grand Canyon taking their lives.They jump off cliffs...I wonder if they know something we don't and that it is better on the other side...Or maybe they know what we know...that it's crappy here and you might as well end it sooner before the "Man" makes you suffer...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
And to think people actually believe the human is the superior of the food chain..
sad story,..just another reason to dislike china

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It would have be great if the bear decided to rip an arm off one them mindless people...

That was a very distressing story,...
edit on 10-8-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Sorry, my apologies.

It's not you friend, just the message, and you are right, bringing some light to the subject may make some kind of difference, but when people drive an animal to suicide for such ridiculous reasons, it's beyond cruel to me.
I just created a thread today on nature and her glory, talk about full circle, wow.
edit on 10-8-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thats truly sad, it's too bad Momma bear didn't get a chance to harvest the workers bile. I remember going to a zoo in Pattaya Thailand and seeing the Tigers was one of the most depressing things I've seen. They looked gray like they were barley alive even though they were well fed. I got my picture taken with one, I threw the picture away later since myself and the Tiger looked extremely sad although he did enjoy a good scratch behind the ear.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm at a loss for words. What sort of life does an animal go through for it to develop and act on suicidal thoughts? This is so very sad.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
wow... what he flying feck ????

This is truly messed up..... things like this really do get to me more than a suffering human.... that is also messed up. I see it that as a race (humans) deserve to be wiped out as all we do is feck things up!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Very distressing... I really don't know what else to say.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
ill tell you what, its stories like these that wake you up and realize what kind of world we live in? somewhere along the way humans lost all respect for the creatures we SHARE this earth with. I understand the need to eat and keep our families fed but we should show a little more respect to these animals. im not an eco-nut its just some of the things we do are not necessary.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
What the hell is a bile farm

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Count Chocula
This is bad, but not quite as awful as THE LAST KNOWN WILD TIGER IN CHINA KILLED AND EATEN BY VILLAGERS

At least the tiger went to feed people, the bile is the only thing used from the bears and they get an awful life in place of it.

To kill for food is different than cruelty for something that might work.

Pred...

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Most of the time, I find animals to be more humane and civalized than people.

Bless the beasts and the children...

Thank you for sharing this (as heartbreaking as it is).

edit on 8/10/2011 by TNTarheel because: typo

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Whoa, man.

More and more I am thinking that we just do not understand any animals the way we should.

I mean right down to the insects. Some folks think that people like me, and maybe others here, project an intelligence on to all animals that is not accurate.

I would say that we just plain underestimate the Intelligence and emotional depth of these other creatures we share the planet with.

This whole 'stewardship' thing is not really working out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join