It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The two main irritating problems with ATSers

page: 1
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Two things I need to get off my chest about this website.

1.) Debating is fun. Debating with ignorant people who get their rocks off by stirring people up is not. I don't understand why every single thread on here has one guy calling the other guy a name just because he disagrees with what the OP posted. I'm not saying I'm perfect by any means and willing to admit that I have been the name caller and callee. Looking back there wasn't really a need to reply to someone being ignorant. When they're blatantly trying to get anger out of people it probably doesn't deserve a reply. With that said... I know this whole website is to educate and debate with people from across the globe. I know not everyone is going to agree with what is said and might have a few choice words for the OP. I think we should all atleast TRY to be a little more understanding with one another. It makes for a better time for everyone.

2.) I understand not everyone is on the same education level as the person next to them. Can we atleast try to learn a little bit though? Everyone is going to have typos. Everyone will have an 'off' day... but as I read some of these threads and replies I have to bite my tongue and struggle through the nonsense trying to make something out of it. To try to illustrate what I'm saying I'll paste a few lines from random threads. I won't put anyone on blast by posting a name and if you recognize the text keep in mind there is no offense intended.

"when you step into that zone and you do it weather being ignorant or sticking your head in the sand to the dark clouds of war" - I thought this one was hilarious BTW since it included 'ignorant' in the same sentence.

"yes.. people in iraq in afghanistan do have feelings when you blow up kids there loved ones friends family etc"

"the tea party please no one has to listen to an unofficial group thats not a part of the government if they wer we wouldn t call them the tea party thats done and gone maybe a beer party its all crap now and days do you seedo you see peace at the price of death weather wer sitting playing halo of makeing butter and watching the sun cross the sky and imagineing what could be but no lie on top of lies nazies come and take and then say and we all open our hearts maybe we should top england as a sign to the world america is not england and we have a LINE"

To cover the most common problem I see on here...

They're is a combination of they and are.

Their is possessive. I.E. Their car. Their house.

There.
1. in or at that place ( opposed to here): She is there now.
2. at that point in an action, speech, etc.: He stopped there for applause.
3. in that matter, particular, or respect: His anger was justified there.
4. into or to that place; thither: We went there last year.
5. (used by way of calling attention to something or someone): There they go.


I don't mean to come off as a prick with this post even though I probably do. Simply trying to help those of us out who don't understand elementary school grammar/English. Also to make this site a little bit more enjoyable for myself. The last example I posted almost gave me a migraine trying to process it...
On a side note... I'm not going to proof read this thread so if there's an error or typo consider it irony at its finest.




posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin
 


The first one you listed is one of the primary reasons I don't post very much anymore... If I wanted to be insulted, I'd spend more time with my family!!!



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin
 


The one that gave me problems in grade school was its/it's. Had a tough time getting over the apostrophe not being possessive.



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The problem with ATSers...
Problem with Americans....
Problem with the American school system dumping grammatically illiterate people into the world...
Problem with most people these days....
This thread could have so many titles!
I agree though, sometimes its hard to make sense of what people are saying. A period, or punctuation in general would go a long way!



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GMan420
reply to post by Athin
 


The one that gave me problems in grade school was its/it's. Had a tough time getting over the apostrophe not being possessive.


I dated a girl once that had an apostrophe in her name. She was very possessive... I couldn't go anywhere without her throwing a tantrum.




posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
OMG!
Were not hear 2 lern grammer or punkuation!
We R knot even hear 2 listen two old ppl lik U!
We R only hear 2 express our fealings!.....


I wonder what this site will look like in 10 years.

THE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE!



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan
OMG!
Were not hear 2 lern grammer or punkuation!
We R knot even hear 2 listen two old ppl lik U!
We R only hear 2 express our fealings!.....


I wonder what this site will look like in 10 years.

THE CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE!

...I'm only 26 lol



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts
 



edit on 10-8-2011 by semperkill because: wrong thread



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Athin
 


you forgot to add pedants to the list
alas OP not everyone has the advantage of a halfway decent education anymore, then there is the insidious effects of texting, also there has been a general increase in dyslexia, and kids on psychotropics like prozac and other such crap.
fortunately in my case though i was taught using the phonics method, i'm an incurable bibliophile and was already even reading labels and such at an early age, thank all the gods of ancient africa that i missed out on the ebonics insanity though. i don't use caps on the interwebs as i am a lazy and very slow typist. so i don't wanna hear any complaints about that



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts
 


lol
long time no see jaxon.

don't let the trolls get you down, and don't feed them.

also avoid pedantry and you'll be just fine.



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Athin
Two things I need to get off my chest about this website.

1.) Debating is fun. Debating with ignorant people who get their rocks off by stirring people up is not. I don't understand why every single thread on here has one guy calling the other guy a name just because he disagrees with what the OP posted. I'm not saying I'm perfect by any means and willing to admit that I have been the name caller and callee. Looking back there wasn't really a need to reply to someone being ignorant. When they're blatantly trying to get anger out of people it probably doesn't deserve a reply. With that said... I know this whole website is to educate and debate with people from across the globe. I know not everyone is going to agree with what is said and might have a few choice words for the OP. I think we should all atleast TRY to be a little more understanding with one another. It makes for a better time for everyone.

2.) I understand not everyone is on the same education level as the person next to them. Can we atleast try to learn a little bit though? Everyone is going to have typos. Everyone will have an 'off' day... but as I read some of these threads and replies I have to bite my tongue and struggle through the nonsense trying to make something out of it. To try to illustrate what I'm saying I'll paste a few lines from random threads. I won't put anyone on blast by posting a name and if you recognize the text keep in mind there is no offense intended.

"when you step into that zone and you do it weather being ignorant or sticking your head in the sand to the dark clouds of war" - I thought this one was hilarious BTW since it included 'ignorant' in the same sentence.

"yes.. people in iraq in afghanistan do have feelings when you blow up kids there loved ones friends family etc"

"the tea party please no one has to listen to an unofficial group thats not a part of the government if they wer we wouldn t call them the tea party thats done and gone maybe a beer party its all crap now and days do you seedo you see peace at the price of death weather wer sitting playing halo of makeing butter and watching the sun cross the sky and imagineing what could be but no lie on top of lies nazies come and take and then say and we all open our hearts maybe we should top england as a sign to the world america is not england and we have a LINE"

To cover the most common problem I see on here...

They're is a combination of they and are.

Their is possessive. I.E. Their car. Their house.

There.
1. in or at that place ( opposed to here): She is there now.
2. at that point in an action, speech, etc.: He stopped there for applause.
3. in that matter, particular, or respect: His anger was justified there.
4. into or to that place; thither: We went there last year.
5. (used by way of calling attention to something or someone): There they go.


I don't mean to come off as a prick with this post even though I probably do. Simply trying to help those of us out who don't understand elementary school grammar/English. Also to make this site a little bit more enjoyable for myself. The last example I posted almost gave me a migraine trying to process it...
On a side note... I'm not going to proof read this thread so if there's an error or typo consider it irony at its finest.


The "their" and "they're" thing isn't nearly as prevalent as "you're" and "your".
That one is like nails on a chalkboard for me.



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear
 


What about "could of", "should of", and "would of"? Apparently, sometime after I graduated, they stopped teaching English...



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

...I'm only 26 lol

You may have inadvertently supplemented my argument.


edit on 10-8-2011 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tvtexan

...I'm only 26 lol

You may have inadvertently supplemented my argument.


edit on 10-8-2011 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)



As long as it makes me laugh to myself lol...



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I was thinking of posting something similar. I think the main problem with people on ATS is that they don't know how to debate. In other words, instead of bringing up evidence or doing anything productive, they simply insult each other endlessly. It is pointless.

The second thing is, there are a lot of people who like to insult the OP for bringing to light things that they are *supposed* to be thinking about on an alternative / conspiracy theory website. The people who do this have nothing better to do, apparently, than to act in a destructive manner.

If someone doesn't agree with the OP, there are much healthier ways to go about it than insulting them and leaving the forum (which basically makes me think that you don't have any idea what you are talking about, or you would have backed up your claim). For example, if you think the OP is wrong, go ahead and enlighten us with some arguments and data.

In the end, ATS would be a much healthier place if people were positive, had constructive things to say with each other, and didn't mind being open-minded. How, may I ask, are we to do this? It only takes one person, you, to set the example.



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
...i like coulda shoulda woulda gotta lotta and sorta kinda too and i dont care who it irks cuz thats their problem... sure not my fault they're anal retentives...


...sometimes you just gotta cut folks some slack... like - its very normal for the jock types to not spell worth a damn and its not always due to repetitive brain trauma...


...but seriously - not all posters were brought up with english as their primary language... ats has posters from all over the world...



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...i like coulda shoulda woulda gotta lotta and sorta kinda too and i dont care who it irks cuz thats their problem... sure not my fault they're anal retentives...


...sometimes you just gotta cut folks some slack... like - its very normal for the jock types to not spell worth a damn and its not always due to repetitive brain trauma...


...but seriously - not all posters were brought up with english as their primary language... ats has posters from all over the world...


This is the simple cop-out that it always comes down to. True, not all posters were brought up with English as their primary language. Those people may be excused. May they sleep soundly tonight.

But it's obvious as hell that the worst offenders are native English-speakers. They know it irritates the eye and grates on the ears, and I think that's much of the attraction. All you can do is bleat in impotent rage; they love it. And that alone is why you'll never make a difference....



posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
My three guidelines while I'm here :

1. Opinions are not facts.
2. Arguments are not discussions.
3. Insults are not necessary.

As for spelling and grammar, I realize there are people here for whom English is not their primary language. Text speak, though, does irk me a little.



posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan
 


Just imagine.... someday we'll have a president who uses the word "pwn"



posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever
 


We already have one sitting who has been "pwned"

CJ



new topics

top topics



 
5
<<   2 >>

log in

join