It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really you star and flag that post, what for?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Over the past couple of days veterens and non military folks have been going on a field day and starting threads to what seems to me be an extention of their e-peens.

Now I dont have a bad word to say to either camps on this debate i.e

Im a veteran and demand respect because I fought to keep you safe

or

I disapprove of our military personel because they are pawns being used by the goverment in illegal wars.

Now usually theses types of threads dont bother me, I usually open them up look and hit the back button fairly fast as I tend not to get drawn into this #ing contest.

But what does bother me and I know most people will say it doesent matter , why in the hell do people star and flag the # out of these threads, Im kind of thinking now if i want an extra 15 flags to my name and 20+ stars all I have to do is open a thread entitled;

I hate troops

Or

Im a veteran

Even if I leave the rest of the thread blank in my own personel opinion I bet it would Get at least a few S+F for that title alone. Its like key words to ensure you get some notice.

Sorry, this is just a rant that I felt like getting off my chest. Dont feel obligated to reply to it.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
repeat aftah meh;

You are not your stars, you are not your flags, you are not your post count, you are not your registration date, you are not your signature. ad nausea

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I can has stars?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
repeat aftah meh;

You are not your stars, you are not your flags, you are not your post count, you are not your registration date, you are not your signature. ad nausea

I was waiting for that =). Althrough personally I like to keep my reputation (stars) high so I know my posts are making sence and people can understand the point im trying to convey, not post as many times as i can just for the sake of it.

If the forums owners dident want us to use them, then im sure that option would have been disabled long ago.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen
Over the past couple of days...

'Nah.... it's years, not days and it comes and goes in cycles. The topic is definitely a go-to when the news is slow, someone is bored, wants attention or just wants to instigate and it works every time. Not too unlike the tactics of the MSM or the govt. of your choice, 'eh? Same tactics, incite fear or anger. Round and round it goes... Shrugs.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

repeat aftah meh;

I was waiting for that =). Althrough personally I like to keep my reputation (stars) high so I know my posts are making sence and people can understand the point im trying to convey, not post as many times as i can just for the sake of it.

If the forums owners dident want us to use them, then im sure that option would have been disabled long ago.

So why the jealousy towards those that star farm then?

I mean when I was in kindergarten they use to give us gold stars... Some how I've gotten over stars.

or maybe because i remember posting before starring posts existed, it was great it was a forum and ppl just posted, imagine that.

edit on 10-8-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyS

Yea I know, what ya mean but once you see one thread about either topics you have seen them all. Its like religion either your for or against it but iv only noticed it coming up more than often the past few days and because of the flag option, they are jumping to the top.

Well at least earlier today and im just out of a Im a vet thread no more than 10 minutes ago.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

repeat aftah meh;

I mean when I was in kindergarten they use to give us gold stars... Some how I've gotten over stars.

You got Gold stars?!?!?!

I always got red ones....
:bnghd:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I can has stars?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

repeat aftah meh;

or maybe because i remember posting before starring posts existed, it was great it was a forum and ppl just posted, imagine that.

edit on 10-8-2011 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

I dont care about flag's, yea ok your a forum vet not what im talking about. Im talking about the star system and just because you dont use it then im not rreally adressing my post towards you then.

However if you are intrested in why I care about the star system , reread my post. Its all to do with contribution to this site that you are claiming to be a vet of. Without people caring about what they post this site would be full of window lickers thinking they are smart.
edit on 10-8-2011 by michaelmcclen because: is bad tonight =(

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Where did I say flags?

You're talking about stars, I said stars...

actually you do talk about flags.... but I didn't... Y U SO CONFUSIN!?your post:

But what does bother me and I know most people will say it doesent matter , why in the hell do people star and flag the # out of these threads, Im kind of thinking now if i want an extra 15 flags to my name and 20+ stars all I have to do is open a thread entitled;

I hate troops

Or

Im a veteran

Even if I leave the rest of the thread blank in my own personel opinion I bet it would Get at least a few S+F for that title alone. Its like key words to ensure you get some notice.

How is ATS not still full of ppl that think they are clever? Ever see all the hoax threads?

But yeah, no I don't see what you're saying now but.

COOL!
edit on 10-8-2011 by Lysergic because: SO CONFUZIUN

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Where did I say flags?

You're talking about stars, I said stars...

actually you do talk about flags.... but I didn't... Y U SO CONFUSIN!?your post:

I hate troops

Or

Im a veteran

How is ATS not still full of ppl that think they are clever? Ever see all the hoax threads?

But yeah, no I don't see what you're saying now but.

COOL!
edit on 10-8-2011 by Lysergic because: SO CONFUZIUN

My bad took a brain fart, throught you said flags. But at least acknowledge where im coming from and ill be happy =p. Althrough knowing the content you usually post ill be waiting a long time. I must admit your avitar is something i have came to notice and I do like to read your posts because I know you dont care about the star system (from previous posts by yourself).

Shh dont tell anyone that but, Im supposed to care about stars. Your the exception.
edit on 10-8-2011 by michaelmcclen because: brain fart

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I don't look at stars or flags. I just read threads that interest me or read posts that I find share my thoughts.

Heck, I don't care to make threads unless it's something I feel I need to share with members or there's something that hasn't been addressed.

I think being for the military or against probably is a strong personable preference which is why those threads get stars and flags. You're either a flag waving American who believe wars and occupations are the answer, or you believe killing and wars are no way to settle world problems and differences between countries.

I just think it tugs at the moral fiber of every human being.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

You ever just walk into a bar an know you like the people there?
You want to give them all stars...

I was going to comment that if you aren't free to star and flag a post, right or wrong, you are not truly free (cue fife and drum core)

But then I find myself understanding and remembering it is only recently my stars overtook my posts. Not always popular but from the heart. So thanks for the humility and the pie.

Trippy little thread, out of the way, off the beaten trail. Glad I visited.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Thanks for your input , I read your comment with great intrest and agree with you 100% if a post comes from the heart and you can protrey it in such a way that other people can understand and feel a sense that they are thinking in the same way/logic then I personally believe that the star system is a measure of the character of your post.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I care about stars.

Just not for the reasons that others are saying "I don't care". Their reasons are valid.

For me, the star system represents the majority - when I see my posts don't get stars, then I know that I represent the minority - when I read the posts that do get stars - I'm almost always PROUD to be in that minority.

Thats why I care about stars. They help me to understand how separate I am from the "flocks"

Which is exactly where I want to be.

As for the military.... I think a lot of those people who fought for our freedom, are overly defensive. I personally appreciate EVERYONE who served our country in the past. Sadly, the reasons they fought, are no longer true. In fact, the reasons they fought in Vietnam were almost all lies, so this goes back generations, and very likely may apply to the age range of those who are "defensive".

But you're absolutely right - Anyone serving today is a pawn, fighting losing wars, in an effort to convert "them" to being "us".

Its good to take pride in what you do, its bad to be delusional about why you're doing it.

Most of my current family who are serving will straight up tell you - they're in it for the money, the benefits, and/or the education. But they also have every right to be proud. Being in the military is not easy.

top topics

join