It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fastest Living Thing on the Planet! (Video)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOops
well, I would have to disagree, .. and my wife and past girlfriends before would say different... I don't know why she is pointing at me.... but
edit on 11-8-2011 by BlackOops because: I have had a few

zing. +1 for self-humiliation.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

And of course the question arises, how did it know to fly away from the poop?

It sas in the Vid. They need to be eaten by animals like the horse, but the horse won't eat grass near his poo.

All animals are probably like that.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Does the fungal help the horse with digestion? I did not hear why it must be eaten by the horse, other than to continue to make more fungal when it poops.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

ok who and why did someone watch poo for that long?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
So If we can just create water bubbles the size of say Manhattan, force tremendous amounts of pressure in them like a couple hundred billion pounds per square inch and then attatch a manned space craft to it while we breach its pressure threshold.....we would essentially have interstellar crafts capable of liquifying humans in nanoseconds. Wait, where did my idea get derailed?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Good vid OP.

Firstly If I lived in sh** I'd want to get out pretty quick too, cant say I blame the little fella.

Secondly, "title is misleading"? why?, if it's hitting 20x the speed of sound isnt that a top speed of 6.8km per second, dont think I've heard of any living thing moving faster than that? I was waiting for a little noise when it hit the speed of sound lol.

Thirdly, I dont want to derail the thread but lol@evolution being intelligent, I agree with intelligent design, but how do the atheists reconcile intelligent design with atheism, seems to be an oxymoron. Anyway ignore me, carry on .

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I am unable to view videos so do not know what the animal was therein but i do know that "horseflies" are very fast and so I'll go with that choice.

Sure would be nice if posters would do something besides just dropping a video and calling it a topic.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Wow, cool vid! S+F

I wonder if there are any practical applications that can be developed from studying the spores. I'm obviously thinking weaponry. Guns today use longer barrels to allow the bullet to accelerate and increase the bullet's velocity, however these spores sit at the tip of the "barrel" but are expelled at an immense speed. Maybe the concepts that allow the spores to be projected with such abrupt acceleration could be applied to guns.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by HelloJCneedsomehelp

poo does lotsa strange things particularly fungi/poo. go look up psillocybin

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

I am unable to view videos so do not know what the animal was therein but i do know that "horseflies" are very fast and so I'll go with that choice.

Sure would be nice if posters would do something besides just dropping a video and calling it a topic.

If you cant watch videos then tough luck buddy... Everything was outlined in the video so there was no sense in me making an outline of the video for the tiny number of people who cant watch videos. It's called adobe flash do yourself a favor and get it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

haha your avatar is badass

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
but it really makes you stop and think. something this amazing was only discovered recently, traveling at a speed that would cause a mans death, nearly microscopic, and yet very advanced and who would have guessed it lives on POOP!
truely a miracle of life and its found on a turd

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

It's about a fungus that grows on horse faeces. It propogates by expelling spores at ridiculously high speeds in order to land in grass that the horse may then eat (thereby continuing the cycle).

Originally posted by scojak
Guns today use longer barrels to allow the bullet to accelerate and increase the bullet's velocity, however these spores sit at the tip of the "barrel" but are expelled at an immense speed.

True, but the spores only have to worry about distance, not accuracy. With bullets, it's more important to make it go where you want than making it get there faster. "Faster" helps, of course.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
ah, fungal spores on horse poo, that was my second answer, swear.

lol, imagine watching one of those things and it hitting you right in the eye!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'll never look at horse sh&& the same way again.

To think that someone actually knew to look at this sh&& and study it is simply amazing and all I want is say is what a shi&&y job hope it pays well.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Your video has a pony, thats all I need to know.

star and flag.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Breakthrough in Weapon Design

Yeah... It's true that a bullet hitting you at a hundred times the speed of sound is more likely to kill you than the one going at 1 mile a second...

But who knew such a small living thing could build pressures of that sorts without breaking? Its design could help make sturdier pressure containers, no? Amongst other things...

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Pretty l33t. Fungus is interesting as F-U.

Fungus is also some of the biggest living material on this planet as well if I am not mistaken. You thought it was a whale? Nope!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
My first guess was the peregrine falcon. OBVIOUSLY I was wrong

I never knew fungus spores could do that. VERY interesting! S&F OP!

Have to say, at the beginning when he was name things off... "rockets, missiles, etc" I guess he didn't take into consideration none of those are LIVING things lol.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
As soon as I read the OP title I thought "Oo oo oo! A thread about mycelium!" I'm fascinated by the fun-guys. I believe many people believe it is THE MOST intelligent thing on the planet. I've been 'hunting' for the last few weeks. The rain was late here in the mountains so they are just starting to pop up everywhere.

There's so many facets to the lifeform! I'm getting excited. Sorry

S&F!! Thanks so much. It was fun to watch the little guys shoot off on their journey.

Mushrooms are neat.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join