It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the third form of matter discovered in a liquid contraction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
this is really good news,

Nature knows two opposite types of solids: one that emerges upon compression from a liquid and a second that appears if the pressure on a liquid is reduced. While the former is typical for substances in our everyday life the latter occurs for example in a dense quantum liquid of electrons (such as in metals) or ions (in exotic white dwarf or neutron stars). Now it has been shown that there exists yet a third form of matter that inherits both of these properties

link to source

i love this type of science, some one predicted this behaviour and it has been shown that a computer simulation agrees with some of the prediction and they are now looking to experiment to prove the prediction.

The secret lies in the character of the forces acting between two excitons: at low pressure excitons repel each other via a dipole force and form a quantum liquid. Upon compression this fluid freezes into an exciton crystal. Further compression brings two excitons so close together that the quantum wave nature of their constituents (electrons and holes) starts to weaken the forces.

As a consequence, further compression leads to an increasing overlap of the exciton quantum waves that is no longer balanced by the inter-exciton repulsion, and the crystal melts again. The researchers have made precise predictions where to search for this exotic crystal of excitons (particularly well suited are zinc selenide or gallium arsenide quantum wells) – it is now up to the experimentalists to find this new state of matter.

Provided by Kiel University

a self structuring liquid crystal medium compressed and released along lines of electrical force would be a very interesting experiment to conduct on this substence, and add some rotation of the electrical forces and see how it effects the construction/melting of the produced crystal.

imagine a room temperature bose einstien condensate,
or a super dense "liquid lens" for telescopes,
and "tuneable" for the pupose you require,

does this third state of matter have any new suprises for us?
edit to change tittle

xploder
edit on 10-8-2011 by XPLodER because: add more

edit on 10-8-2011 by XPLodER because: add credits

edit on 10-8-2011 by XPLodER because: change tittle

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Isnt plasma the fourth state of matter
edit on 10-8-2011 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

It's solid, liquid, gas, plasma, and i quess this new stuff makes it the 5th, but more between a liquid or solid so in a way it would be the 'new' third. Perhaps moving the a behind the "new" would be more accurate. Nevertheless it's still pretty interesting.

edit on 10-8-2011 by smokeythabear because: elaboration

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

The last I checked Gas,Solid,and Liquid were the 3 states of matter common Earth. With the exception that Plasma pokes it's nose around here sometimes. So that makes 4 states. Are you saying their is a fifth? Wouldn't surprise me as their are 5 elements aswell.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin
Isnt plasma the third form of matter?

There are five main states of matter. Solids, liquids, gases, plasmas, and Bose-Einstein condensates are all different states of matter. Each of these states is also known as a phase. Elements and compounds can move from one phase to another phase when special physical forces are present. One example of those forces is temperature. The phase or state of matter can change when the temperature changes. Generally, as the temperature rises, matter moves to a more active state.

source

Nature knows two opposite types of solids:

source

now there is a third type of soild that has the best of both worlds,

speculation follows
it can be super dense and can be a super fluid and proberly a superconductor all at the same time,
and could proberly do so at much more easy to attain temperatures and pressures

xploder

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

It wouldnt surprise me if their are many more forms of matter as their are many different dimensions. You figure with string theory and all that claiming that their are different stages of existence. Far beyond what we can see. Their must be more states of matter and or elements still to be found.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Plasma is the fourth [color=gold] state of mater.

This article is talking about a new Form of mater.

David Grouchy

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma

X=5th form of matter.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

there are currently 5 states of matter. from lowest energy to highest energy:

1. bose-einstein condensate
2. solid
3. liquid
4. gas
5. plasma

the bose-einstein state happens at extremely cold temperatures, and is by far the most fascinating. you wouldn't believe what the stuff can do.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Crystal states can be affected by energy this was first discovered by Marcel Vogel the grandfather of data disk storage as me know it and Maseru Emoto messages in water (What the bleep do we know).

I wanted to know if this was true so I did the experiment myself and found it is true.

Hate 2 weeks after seeding

Truth peace 2 weeks after seeding.

< br />
Love 2 weeks after seeding.

Very similar to plant life. I wanted to know if emotion influenced growth and plant response as plant growth is very crystalline and draws its production from minerals.

I did this experiment and found that plants actually create a voltage response to human pain.

Tie this back to the application of the third form of matter in focusing telescope lenses we see that we are finally starting to get a sound understanding of the process that is occurring in these reactions.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Shirak because: add some more

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by davidgrouchy

Plasma is the fourth [color=gold] state of mater.

This article is talking about a new Form of mater.

David Grouchy

thanks dave,
mabey i should change the name to avoid the confusion

whats interesting to me is i was Researching this exact topic for a paper on propulsion systems,

A living battery
Author: Glen Osborne
Date: 22/7/1011
Abstract
The idea is to find or create a “liquid” crystal that changes structure with magnetic flux,
As the engine spins, it causes the structured deformation and construction of crystalline matrixes’ in the liquid for small periods. Each “arm or limb” of magnetic energy acquires a position in the liquid for the period of time and energy is transverse between the engine and the outer hull of the craft, because the rotation of the engine the “limbs or arms” are in the curvature of a spiral in an electrically crystallized medium (liquid crystal). If the entire liquid crystal assembly is rotated as a unit against or towards the rotational direction of the engine a gear ratio of sorts can be accomplished. This provides for increase in rpm/decrease in torque and variable outputs.
The effect relights on the liquid crystals ability to “allow” waves of energy to structure the crystals formation to suit superconductivity and energy transfer. The outward waves travel from the “electromagnetic” engine, through the liquid crystal and outward toward the hull. As the engine rotates, the arms “rotate” through the liquid crystal and allows

source me lol
this is exciting from a propulsion system design angle and for the posabilities for Adaptive optics and high temp super conductor posabilities.

whats interesting is the compresion expansion dynamic of the "pressure" on the fluid and the ability for the "pressure" to allow this new form to grow and melt

i wounder if this can be used for propulsion?

xploder

edit on 10-8-2011 by XPLodER because: spelling

edit on 10-8-2011 by XPLodER because: change wording

edit on 10-8-2011 by XPLodER because: add more

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by metalholic
reply to post by XPLodER

It wouldnt surprise me if their are many more forms of matter as their are many different dimensions. You figure with string theory and all that claiming that their are different stages of existence. Far beyond what we can see. Their must be more states of matter and or elements still to be found.

what i find particularly interesting is the ability of this 3rd form of matter to have the properties of the other two forms an the same medium at the same time.

imagine a superconducting bosse enistine condensate super liquid
its pure geek heaven
LOL@self

xploder

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

This should help your thread out!

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

i just had an interesting idea that may account for the strange behavior of superfluids. lets say every atom is made of strings as the base unit. the vibrational frequency of the strings accounts for the properties of the particle it becomes (they're read much like a computer program). to account for the complexity that exists, strings vibrate in multiple dimensions. each string is unique in the universe under normal circumstances, but when atoms are cooled down to just above absolute zero, the strings lose their unique vibrating patterns, and they're read as being the same string.

idk..just came to me as a possibility.

the laws that govern the universe must be perfect, or else there would be a way to crash it.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I thought u were going too talk about "slurpies"

sorry Apu,,,

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

there are currently 5 states of matter. from lowest energy to highest energy:

1. bose-einstein condensate
2. solid
3. liquid
4. gas
5. plasma

the bose-einstein state happens at extremely cold temperatures, and is by far the most fascinating. you wouldn't believe what the stuff can do.

I thaught there were also "Super Solids" though i guess you could just place them into a sub-state of the defined (2) Solid

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

There are five main states of matter. Solids, liquids, gases, plasmas, and Bose-Einstein condensates are all different states of matter. Each of these states is also known as a phase. Elements and compounds can move from one phase to another phase when special physical forces are present. One example of those forces is temperature. The phase or state of matter can change when the temperature changes. Generally, as the temperature rises, matter moves to a more active state.

source

Nature knows two opposite types of solids:

source

now there is a third type of soild that has the best of both worlds,

speculation follows
it can be super dense and can be a super fluid and proberly a superconductor all at the same time,
and could proberly do so at much more easy to attain temperatures and pressures

xploder

Imagine all the things you can only do with a Bose-Einstein condensate at near absolute zero but now at near room temperature.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Just trying to understand what is going on here.

In an atom the electrons sit in orbits. As the atom heats up the electrons jump into higher and higher orbits as it gets hotter and hotter. At absolute zero the electrons are as close to the atom as possible. In this state we get super fluids where the mass moves as one. So when electrons are sitting in higher orbits it allows kinetic waves to move through the matter, but when electrons are in their lowest orbit there is no buffer for kinetic energy so the mass moves as one.

With this new state discovered of super fluid properties at higher temperatures, temperature does not affect electron orbit alone, I can see pressure would be a factor as well. What are these excitons? They sound like it measures how much the electron is buzzing around in its orbit.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
reply to post by XPLodER

Just trying to understand what is going on here.

In an atom the electrons sit in orbits. As the atom heats up the electrons jump into higher and higher orbits as it gets hotter and hotter. At absolute zero the electrons are as close to the atom as possible. In this state we get super fluids where the mass moves as one. So when electrons are sitting in higher orbits it allows kinetic waves to move through the matter, but when electrons are in their lowest orbit there is no buffer for kinetic energy so the mass moves as one.

With this new state discovered of super fluid properties at higher temperatures, temperature does not affect electron orbit alone, I can see pressure would be a factor as well. What are these excitons? They sound like it measures how much the electron is buzzing around in its orbit.

hi kwakakev glad to hear from ya

i am not totally sure how to explain what i "think" is going on, but will try
i am by no means an expert and this only my opinion,

there are contractive and repulsive matrixies in a liquid suspention,
when an external electrical force contracts the liquid the aglinment of diapoles and there arrangment to one another is altered ie outside energy (compression) causes a change in the diapole interaction between materials that first form a crystal like matrix, and then on further compresion the structure breaks down or melts.
i beleive that the material changes at the atomic level and the forces normally expressed at a relaxed state are expressed in an unexpected manner,

the diapole interaction and direction of "group" alinment changes from indivdual direction to cluster or co-operative cluster that alters the diapole effect allowing the diapoles to act in concert, as the structure grows to a certain point, where the stability of the structure is compressed and the structure "disolves" or melts due to the fact that the diaploes are now to "close together" to form the crystaline marix.

it is at this melt point that if the right materials are used a new type of matter is found,

This unusual behaviour has been predicted to exist in crystals of excitons – hydrogen atom-like bound states of electrons and holes – in a semiconductor quantum well placed in a strong electric field.

source

i am not sure "how" the quantium wells behave in the event of reduced compression, but i suspect the reverse of the compression returns the solution to a individual diapole state.

this is only my interpretation and i have not read the acual paper,
so i may very well be incorrect

hope that helps

xploder

edit on 15-8-2011 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

After having my head stuck in many of today's social problems it is tough getting back into the physical problems, but good exercise

there are contractive and repulsive matrixies in a liquid suspention

Yep, the electrons and protons with the weak nuclear force and still a lot getting discovered with the strong nuclear force.

when an external electrical force contracts the liquid the aglinment of diapoles and there arrangment to one another is altered

Yep, this is how you make a magnet. Put a strong enough electrical force through and it become a permanent magnet. The magnetic currents in a permanent magnet do fade if there is a draw on this power source and need to be recharged over time.

ie outside energy (compression) causes a change in the diapole interaction between materials that first form a crystal like matrix,

This does sound reasonable. In a crystal matrix there is a simple pattern that repeats, the double covalent bonds of carbon atoms in a diamond for example. This is in opposition to the spaghetti matrix you get with the long polymer chains in plastic.

Off topic - it does make me wonder just how hard solid ozone would be with its triple covalent bonds.

and then on further compresion the structure breaks down or melts.

With the electrons in their lowest orbit there is no more room for the weak nuclear force to give, as a consequence we start to slowly crack open the strong nuclear force?

i beleive that the material changes at the atomic level and the forces normally expressed at a relaxed state are expressed in an unexpected manner,

I agree.

the diapole interaction and direction of "group" alinment changes from indivdual direction to cluster or co-operative cluster that alters the diapole effect allowing the diapoles to act in concert, as the structure grows to a certain point, where the stability of the structure is compressed and the structure "disolves" or melts due to the fact that the diaploes are now to "close together" to form the crystaline marix.

Are there any magnetic observations that can be done to measure the dipole changes? I am not sure if the magnetic energy involved would operate at a different frequency from our known compass magnets. Just thinking, when the structure melts to crack open the strong nuclear force is there no longer individual atomic dipoles but a single mass dipole? It will take sensitive equipment to map and read it.

it is at this melt point that if the right materials are used a new type of matter is found,

This unusual behaviour has been predicted to exist in crystals of excitons – hydrogen atom-like bound states of electrons and holes – in a semiconductor quantum well placed in a strong electric field.

The exciton sounds more like the orbit that the electron sits in, it has no electrical charge and is a hole. en.wikipedia.org...

i am not sure "how" the quantium wells behave in the event of reduced compression, but i suspect the reverse of the compression returns the solution to a individual diapole state.

For this new state of matter is appears there is a upper and lower threshold involved and not just a simple on or off. By starting to open up the strong nuclear force it would expanded the levels that this threshold is set. A quantium well sounds like a capacitor in its ability to hold a specific amount of energy. In sub atomic physics though it is a generic term that could be applied to many different energies.

In relation to this discussion the quantium well, exciton and electron orbit all sound like the same kind of thing. Depending on how elastic and how far the strong nuclear force is pushed it should bounce back, push it a bit harder and some irreversible changes will take place, crack it too hard and all of its mass is released as energy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join