It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungi behind extinction of forests 250mn-yrs-ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/428717f4c718.jpg[/atsimg]

A new study has revealed that the mass extinction of the world’s forests some 250 million years ago was likely accelerated by an aggressive tree-killing fungi triggered by global climate change.

The researchers suggest the possibility that today’s changing climate could cause a similar increase in pathogenic soil bacteria that could devastate forests already stressed by a warming climate and pollution.

The so-called Permian extinction likely was triggered by immense volcanic eruptions in what is now Siberia. The huge amounts of gas and dust thrown into the atmosphere altered global climate, and some 95 percent of marine organisms and 70 percent of land organisms eventually went extinct.

Mass extinctions at the hands of fungi? Interesting...

I wish I could read the paper in it's entirety, as I would like to see how it was determined that the fungi was behind the extinction rather than flourished because of it. Maybe there was something in the air that made the fungi flourish and thus the expanded numbers of the fungi.

I'm not too sure and as I said I would like to read the entire paper. It will be an interesting read when it comes out.

But, until then watch out for fungi.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Dude, you totally misread that article. It said that a volcanic eruption that spewed millions of tons of volcanic ashe and green house gasses into the atmosphere caused global warming that sparked the growth of these fungi. Not that the fungi caused the extinction by itself.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

If they were just caused by volcanic activity why are they saying that this could happen from climate change?

My fault if I misread, my children are beaking in my ear as I was reading/writing...

It does state the the fungi accelerated the extiction of the woodlands areas, taking something bad and making it much worse...

Pred...
edit on 10-8-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
www.cancerisafungus.com...

Food for thought. No matter what causes fungus, it still kills. Quietly. Inoffensively, and therefore, not likely to call much attention to itself, forming a very strong sneak advance, like mold in homes. Pretty deadly stuff.

Legionnaire's disease comes to mind, as well.

new topics

top topics

join