It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transfering files from one hard drive to another..lost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
How do you transfer files from one hard drive to another without having to reinstall everything? Or installing it separately from folder to folder. Is there an easier way to transfer?

Thanks.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

If you are using Windows, I suggest using Windows Easy Transfer. This is built into windows and is designed to help users migrate between one machine and another.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Connect it as a slave drive and then all the files are accessible.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Easy...
If you have an extra hard drive you will want to turn off your computer unplug it too... Then you going to have to hook up the power line and the 52 pin or sata cable to it. You need to move the jumper on the secondary hard drive to "slave".
Turn on your computer, and if prompted select your normal hard drive/operating system.
Once the desktop is loaded Windows may search for a driver or something...
Click on my computer, double click your new drive, or right click and explore.
Open another window, and drag and drop from one to the other.
That will be $45.00

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Hopefully this helps a bit but I spent months trying to find this same thing. Best Buy refused to do it and my local stores laughed when I asked how much they'd run me to do a mirror of one drive to the other...AND...have it bootable in my box when I plug the new copy in.

The folks at runtime.org have two programs I've been using since I found them. They're both free with no issues whatever, so there is nothing in it for me whether you use them or not...but I can say from experience they do work. Shadowcopy and Driveimage are the programs they make which will copy off an entire HD, restore it to an entirely different physical HD (or the same..whatever) and MAINTAIN a 100% functional and bootable windows environment.

I will admit I had to run Fixmbr once to tweak the boot record on the new copy HD and get windows to correct some minor format issue. 10 seconds and it worked as if it'd been the drive installed the whole time. I've mirrored over 6 drives with this software including a swap between a conventional magnetic drive and a new S.S.D. drive for my laptop. I was dubious, but it booted right up, first try on the new SSD as if nothing had changed at all.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I'm trying to put all the secondary files on the windows 7, so I can delete everything and do a back up restore. ;p and put the windows 7 on my secondary drive, but can't do a backup until it cleaned. no GBs left to create an image.

This thing is fast as heck.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Bummer that don't help. My files are already hooked up on the drive thing.

new topics

top topics

join