It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Quit Smoking....Here is my story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I have decided to make a thread about how I quit smoking. It happened randomly, I was reading various things on ATS on August 1st. I had seen the thread titled How I quit smoking for the last couple of day. I would ignore it even though I knew I should click on it. So on the 1st I finally did. I read through the thread which brought about this great determination to quit and make it stick this time. Heres the thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So after reading this thread I decided to do some research, set a date ect. I came upon this forum
forums.about.com...

I spent hours reading through this forum, most of the night. I decided there was no point setting a date. It never works anyway. As the date creeps up closer most of the time you would start thinking "Well, I'll just push it another day or another," ect. So I smoked my last cig in the early hours of August 2 before falling asleep.

When I woke up that day, I made an account at the about forum and joined right in with the rest of the quitters. Here is my introduction to that forum;

Hello! I am new here, just joined. I am on day one of my goal to quit smoking! I have tried many times before and didn't succeed. I am 23 and have been smoking since I was 15. Never joined anything like this the other times I tried to quit. So I am hoping with the support and advise from others who are also quiting it will help me to stick with my goal and successfully quit smoking!

Where I was then welcomed into the forum by other quitters new and old. They offered encouraging advice and support. Telling me I made the right choice to quit and encouraging me to keep it up. I was still skeptical of my quit on this day, being day one I already wanted to smoke like 20 cigs. I wasn't sure that I could do it though I desperately wanted to.

So I continue to read through peoples quit stories and strenghten my resolve. Soon the thoughts of smoking were pushed to the back of my mind. I hardly had any craving because I was keeping my hands and my mind busy. They weren't gone completely but I was able to control them. Not let them control me. First day goes by smoothly I don't smoke. Here is my quit journal for that day.

As the first day of my quit comes to a close, I'd like to take this time to document my progress.

It was the easiest first quit day I have ever had. No joke. All the other times I was irritable, angry and restless. Only 3 times today did I have serious cravings and was able to sufficiently distract myself evey time. Mostly I think its because of this website. Reading everybodys posts and stories I was able to hold onto my resolve to quit. Each story fueling my determination. I am not weak and I will no longer be a slave to the nicotine. Power to the people!!
lol!! I hope tomorrow proves to be just as easy. If it is this will definitely be the time I quit for good! Bring on day 2!!

I wake up on day 2 and resist the urge to smoke. I should mention that I kept the last 6 cigs in my last pack for a security blanket so to speak. You tend to want something more if you dont have it you know. I get online again back to the forum. Switching back and forth between ATS and the about forum. I was still getting the cravings of course but once again I kept my mind busy reading and my hands busy typing. Day 2 goes by without a smoke.

So day 2 is nearing its end for me and I am happy to report that I did not smoke at all! Though I was tempted a few times I'm still staying strong! Everytime I thought about smoking I would tell my self how silly I am being I don't want smoke anymore. Laugh it off and keep myself busy. I got a little frustrated a couple times today when the internet was being slow but it passed quickly. I was just sitting next to my boyfriend a little while ago while he was smoking and I got a head ache so I will ask him to go outside next time he smokes. I should have told him too as soon as he lit the dang thing. All in all not a bad day though. Looking forward to day 3! The good, and I'll tolerate the bad because it will be worth it!

Day 3 was harder but I did not smoke! This was my worst day for my quit. The nicotine leaving your body causes you to feel sick. Symptoms are different for different people. But I was determined to quit and I held on through the worst. I adopted the N.O.P.E Pledge on this day I think. (NOT ONE PUFF EVER) It really helped me stick to it!

Day 3 is almost over for me. It was a little harder than the previous 2 days. I had a bad head ache for most of the day and my stomach has been hurting. I still haven't smoked though! I'm wondering how long the withdrawls will last. I know its different for everybody but quite a few people say it takes 3 days to break a habit. So by that logic my habit should be broken in like 5 hours. Yeah i know its not that easy but one can only hope! Day 4 here I come

Day 4 was the last day that I made a quit journal. I didn't need to anymore. The battle with the nicotine was nearing and end, I hardly had the cravings. It now bacame a battle with the mind. Ignoring the junkie thoughts and bullsh** excuses I would tell myself to smoke. Things like "Just one" Or "I'm still young, I have plenty of time to quit." You're own mind will betray you just so you're body can get the drug. "I like to smoke." "It helps with stress"
IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND!!!

Wow day 4 flew right on by! It started kind of crappy, I woke up with a head ache and chest pain. But that faded through out the day and I'm feeling great right now! I hardly had any cravings today, the strongest of which happened a little while ago. I just ate sunflower seeds until it was over. I even had a drink with dinner tonight at applebees and didn't crave a smoke at all on the walk back home.

My boyfirend told me today that if I make it to the end of this month without smoking then he will quit too. I am not going to hold him to that though, he was basically saying he doesn't believe I will stick to my quit. That made me little angry. Like thanks for the support right? During previous quits I would have used things like that as an excuse to smoke again. Not this time though. I just ignored it! Nothing is going to bring me down! N.O.P.E! On to day 5

So Days 5 and 6 and 7 go by in a similar manner as the first 4, and I do not smoke. I spent hours with people and they didn't notice once that I didn't smoke. I finally told everyone at the week mark. It is day 8 for me now and I already feel so much better. I don't feel sick all the time. I'm not worried about running out of smokes and spending more money on them. I have more energy and I am much happier. The key to getting through the first week (hell week) is to stay positive. That was the difference between this quit and previous trys or "practice quits" I was not positive with them. I let the drug control me well not anymore. I AM FREE!!!!!

My message to other quitters to stay positive.

Hello all!

I would like to say good luck to everyone who is currently quitting. Also Congrats to everyone who has successfully stopped!. My message to everyone is to STAY POSITIVE! Positive thoughts and attitude with help you a lot with your quit. The other times I tried to quit. I had a negative attitude towards everything. I failed those quits.

Sometimes even on the 2nd or 3rd day. I am happy to report that with this new out look on the situation I am having less cravings and symptoms of the withdrawl. I feel like its mostly all in your head. Perhaps if you have the negative out look it means you don't really want to quit and you are finding any excuse to smoke a cig.

I caught myself in junkie thoughts last night before bed and when I realized what I was doing I started cracking up laughing. Was I really just trying to persuade myself into one puff? I sure was! But it is not going to happen this time. I have a positive determination that I have never had during a quit before so I know that this is it! So Stay positive quitters! If you really want to quit you will!

Quit Date: August 2, 2011
Cigs not smoked: 212
Smoke free for: 1 week, 1 day, 10hr, 52mins
Money saved: $63.70

I wanted to make this topic because I am hopping that my quit story will inspire others to quit just as VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep's thread inspired me. This is a battle and for some it is life long but it can be won.

It's not that you cant quit, it's that you wont quit. NOT ONE PUFF EVER! This saying and a positive attitude will ensure your victory. As well as educating yourself. Be aware and set yourself free.

whyquit.com...

~Out of the Ashes, Into the Wind~

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Good job and good luck! I'm on week 3 and after the first week the cravings went away.

The ritual around smoking is something I still miss.

When I wake up with my coffee..I miss my cig.

After I eat lunch...I miss my cig.

When I get into the car...I miss my cig.

When i have a glass of wine..I miss my cig.

but.....

When I look at my dogs and know they aren't getting second hand smoke..I don't miss my cigs.

When I come home and my house don't smell like an ashtray...I don't miss my cigs.

When I mow my yard without smoking 3 cigs and getting winded..I don't miss my cigs.

When I think about spending 15 more years on this awesome planet..I don't miss my cigs.

I'm still battling with wanting to smoke and have had a few cigars in the last few weeks..but I see an end in sight and I hope you have great success!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ucantcme

I haven't had a single drag since I quit almost a year and a half ago after smoking for ten. Here is how I did it:

Step 1: I got tired of hacking and coughing up disgusting stuff every morning.
Step 2: Decided I need to spend my hard earned money on other life necessities.
Step 3: Took last drag and ceremoniously extinguished my last butt.
Step 4: Every Morning when I woke up I would announce (to no one in particular) how many days since I last smoked.
Step 5: Every Evening when I went to bed I would announce how many days since I last smoked.

I knew I had successfully quit smoking when I woke up and not only did I not remember what day I was on, but I really didn't care either.

I would say "Good Luck" to anyone trying to quit, but you don't need it........you just need determination and a fed up attitude. Your mind is stronger than you know. Congratulations to anyone who has kicked the addiction.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
Good job and good luck! I'm on week 3 and after the first week the cravings went away.

The ritual around smoking is something I still miss.

When I wake up with my coffee..I miss my cig.

After I eat lunch...I miss my cig.

When I get into the car...I miss my cig.

When i have a glass of wine..I miss my cig.

but.....

When I look at my dogs and know they aren't getting second hand smoke..I don't miss my cigs.

When I come home and my house don't smell like an ashtray...I don't miss my cigs.

When I mow my yard without smoking 3 cigs and getting winded..I don't miss my cigs.

When I think about spending 15 more years on this awesome planet..I don't miss my cigs.

I'm still battling with wanting to smoke and have had a few cigars in the last few weeks..but I see an end in sight and I hope you have great success!

Congrats on 3 weeks! That is great! I know what you mean about the missing the ritual. But the important things in life are worth saying NOPE for! We can make new rituals, healthier ones! I would suggest checking out the about forum I linked. You will be able to find other people who are in the same stage of their quit as you are. Good luck!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jobuko

I haven't had a single drag since I quit almost a year and a half ago after smoking for ten. Here is how I did it:

Step 1: I got tired of hacking and coughing up disgusting stuff every morning.
Step 2: Decided I need to spend my hard earned money on other life necessities.
Step 3: Took last drag and ceremoniously extinguished my last butt.
Step 4: Every Morning when I woke up I would announce (to no one in particular) how many days since I last smoked.
Step 5: Every Evening when I went to bed I would announce how many days since I last smoked.

I knew I had successfully quit smoking when I woke up and not only did I not remember what day I was on, but I really didn't care either.

I would say "Good Luck" to anyone trying to quit, but you don't need it........you just need determination and a fed up attitude. Your mind is stronger than you know. Congratulations to anyone who has kicked the addiction.

Congrats on staying quit for over a year! Thanks for sharing your quit story! Not everyone has the will to quit like that though. Theres a story in the whyquit link I posted where this lady got diagnosed with Buerger Disease www.mayoclinic.com... She contined to smoke until she had both of her legs amputated.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well done and congrats!

I have a question for you, have you felt any health benefits? aside from the financial

From a long term smoker who is determined to quit this year...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beauty_HairyBeast
Well done and congrats!

I have a question for you, have you felt any health benefits? aside from the financial

From a long term smoker who is determined to quit this year...

Yes I feel great! After only 8 day! I have more energy, I feel happier, I can already breathe easier. I have noticed a difference with my skin and hair. Its great! If you are determined to quit this year the information I posted in this thread will really help you. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
welldone and good luck.
but dont be complacent. my record for quitting was 6 months.
now i'm past caring.

edit on 10-8-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Thats wonderful to hear
The health benefits are more important to me than the money that can be saved.

I actually can't stand the smell of cigarettes anymore (its bizarre) so I guess the habit/addiction has a real hold on me at the minute.

I'm gonna break that habit soon and I wish you the best of luck, thankyou.

Don't give in! (will keep an eye on this thread)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Beauty_HairyBeast

I was able to run the first 5k of my life about 7 months after I quit. I started lightly training 3 months before hand and ran 5k in 28:14:69 which for a first timer ex-smoker isn't too bad IMHO. I know that I never would have ran it while being a smoker.

Crossing that finish line was just one of the MANY things that make quitting smoking worth it. Other things that make it worth it:

Better Breath
Deep lung-fulls of air on a crisp autumn/winter evening/morning
Cardio
Not having to pull over and search you car to see if the butt you threw out the window accidently found its way back in you car.
No random burn holes in clothes.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jobuko

Funny thing is I'm not that unfit healthwise but I'd like to push myself a little more. My hobby is climbing mountains (1 per year) and I do a LOT of walking in between.

I guess my lungs would say different though

Appreciate your input, cheers

Well done to you too

edit on 10-8-2011 by Beauty_HairyBeast because: to add a little more

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
welldone and good luck.
but dont be complacent. my record for quitting was 6 months.
now i'm past caring.

edit on 10-8-2011 by neonitus because: (no reason given)

I understand why you would say that. I have had many previous quits that didn't stick. But you know when you're quit is THE quit. Everything is defferent when its THE quit.

I hope you decide to give it another go, the benefits of quitting are many and I am only in day 2 of my second week. I can't wait to see what other changes happen the longer I don't smoke.

You should know this if you have lasted 6 months into a quit. I know it is ultimately a personal decison, I can only hope that you decide to start caring again and try another quit with the determination to make it stick.

I know you can do it! Everyone can do it! You just have to want it! Remember this thread if you do decide to try again. The links I posted go a long way with helping people quit and stay quit.
edit on 11-8-2011 by ucantcme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Stovokor

Actually you are right. I am also in same situation. It is my 4 week and I still miss that swag of my cigarettes. Yesterday one of my friend suggest me about electronic cigarettes and I really want to give it a chance.

top topics

join