It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rainbow Connection? Online Push Under Way for Bert and Ernie to Get Married on 'Sesame Street'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
When Burt and Ernie started out, the term "gay" meant... to be a Happy and Frivolous, and of enjoyable disposition.

Not guys munching on "Oscar Meyer Wieners."

When I was a teen, Homosexuals were "Homos, Poofs, Queers" etc.

Being a gay person shouldnt even be associated with it.

The word Gay even use to be a Girls name!!!

Lets go back to Poofs etc.

Yes, back then the rainbow meant G_D's promise not to destroy man by flood anymore.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It appears that, not limited to viewing adult programs, and dealing with adult issues; some are inclined to project their social foibles into the world of educational programming for young children and onto the children themselves.

From the usually well-trodden fear path, I can see the nightmarish confabulations of anti-gay zealotry depicting the idea that gay people have a "gay agenda" and that when they see children (or heaven fore-fend, raise them) their primary motivations jettisons parenting and focuses on 'making them a proper little gay person', like themselves.

Of course, the gay community seems equally rife with misguided zealotry; equally incapable of embracing the notion that besides not caring about another's gayness, non-gays really - for the most part - don't want or feel the need to care about it. Hence the "in-your-face" crowd becomes the obnoxious flamboyant and impossible-to-ignore - as a form of self-affirmation... to serve nothing other than oneself. We saw this with militant feminism, too....

It appears that anything that involves two non-sexually paired imaginary characters used for entertainment are "obliged" to address sexuality.... the reason eludes me.... as I am sure it does children.

I am confident when I say, as a child watches Bert and Ernie, or Spongebob and Patrick, they are not making any effort to "categorize" them as anything but funny, silly, and kind of entertaining.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
As a gay guy, I have to say this is stupid. Puppets are supposed to be asexual.. This is retarded. Spongebob isn't gay either. He is a sponge.

This is gay.

I havn't watched sesame street since I was a kid but my recollection is that Bert didn't even particularly like his room mate... my memories are that Ernie always bothered and annoyed Bert. I could be wrong. It's been 16 years or so.

I always viewed Bert and Ernie sort of like that old TV show called The Odd Couple.
edit on 11-8-2011 by Spencer1989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperkill
The gays are out of control. It comes down to this. Who cares what you do in your home behind closed doors. Gay people have sex with members of the same sex that should not give you special rights. The gays want the world to know what they do in bed they flaunt sex in front of everyone without a care. Its ok to declare that you want and like sex with the same sex. Just dont do it in front of me. I dont flaunt my sexuality in front of you. There should be a level of discretion with what you do privately. The other thing that bugs me is this. Why do they talk like that why not use your natural voice. Is it because you want everyone to know that you are gay. Once again who cares. We have always known that Bert and Ernie were Gay. That is what is so cool about their relationship. No one ever cared. I think as Gay characters they have it right. They are discreet and dont flaunt their sexuality in front of the world. They dont explain it or talk about it. Bert and Ernie.....Being gay the right way!

Apparently YOU care!

That said, with all these people afraid of others forcing their sexuality on them........I have never once seen a gay person force their sexual orientation on anyone....

That is just such a silly thing to say. What can gay people not control themselves? Do they just go around like wild animals, humping everything they see?No.....They are people....

You are afraid of people because of who they are sexually attracted to. Do you realize how funny that is? Would you be afraid of me for finding Megan Fox hot? Well, pretend I was gay... What if I though Johnny Depp was hot? Would you be afraid of me?

You are trying to say, that whether or not you fear me, depends on whether or not my spouse has a penis or a vagina? You have very odd standards for deciding what to be afraid of.

Well, I am straight, so you don't have to fear me. Bert and Ernie are not gay. They are inanimate objects incapable of sexual feelings. No need to be afraid of them either...

Now, I am off to go flaunt my heterosexuality in some ones face.That way someone can actually have the right to say, that some one shoved their sexuality in their face.....

Do realize the prejudice you speak? You try to make all gay people to fit into one group and that silly.....

How about you not flaunt your illogical fears and bigotry in MY face?

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Gays always trying to push their agenda on us and our kids.

Disgusting.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Did you read my other post in this thread? Don't make generalizations, because clearly my post proves you blatantly wrong because I am gay and I am not pushing any sort of agenda.

Don't make yourself look ignorant.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Obligatory.

I think it's a shame people are pressuring PBS to do something that would make a lot of people uncomfortable. I'm all for gay rights etc. but I hate it when people turn EVERYTHING into an issue.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spencer1989

Did you read my other post in this thread? Don't make generalizations, because clearly my post proves you blatantly wrong because I am gay and I am not pushing any sort of agenda.

Don't make yourself look ignorant.

Oh, because you are gay, that makes your post special?

Sorry but when I respond to a thread (unless I hit reply, or quote), I am usually responding to the topic not a post muddled in the middle of it.

I know you people expect special rights, and special treatment, but this is ATS, and I hope that isn't the case here.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

No, it provides an example of the average gay guy not pushing any agenda of any kind. It provides an example of the average gay guy actually AGREEING that bert and ernie are not and should not be portrayed as gay, yet you are the one who shoots from the hip with your reply I suppose, without any thought.

You are the one who presented an immediate emotional reaction without actually contributing intellectually to the discussion.

You are the one pointing fingers at me, accusing me of thinking of myself as special, and you are the one who attributes that to my sexuality.

You are the one accusing me of wanting special rights and special treatment.

You are the one that provides no evidence of.... anything at all.

Your generalizations make you look ignorant, but I guess if the shoe fits, wear it.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Stop letting Television raise your kids if you don't agree with the crap on it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
All of you are missing the point in this. The thing with kids that people don't realize is that it isn't about sexual orientation to them. It's about the people. To kids with 2 mommies or 2 daddies, that's all they are. Mommies and daddies. They're a family, and that's what's important to them. Teaching our kids at a young age about differences in families will benefit all of us. They see heterosexual couples in 99% of everything they watch, including cartoon shows, and they learn (yes they learn about this at that age) that it is normal. Having a homosexual couple in a show like SS will show the kids that it's normal for someone to have 2 mommies or 2 daddies.
How is that hard to understand? We teach them tolerance and acceptance at an early age that it's okay to look different, to be of a different race, and to be raised different. Why is this so much worse?

If you think "kids are too young to learn about this" then they need to take all of the heterosexual couples out of kids shows because as I stated above, they learn that it is normal.

Originally posted by Lysergic

Well said, Lysergic.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

OMG Ernie & Bert were friends...

why do they have to corrupt everything??? I remember watching E & B and Sesame St... and I didn't think that they may have been gay...

farout

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

The people pushing this are just sick people who happen to be homosexual.
These people don't deserve to be called "gay", there is nothing gay here, for pete's sake.
Ernie and Bert are puppets, not people.
This smacks of trying to destroy children's lives and is marxist, stalinist and communist to the extreme.
Next we'll hear that Michelle Bachman is all in favour of this as well.

The USA is a sick society, no wonder it is called the "great satan".

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Believer101

What a pathetic post, heterosexuality is the norm, not homosexuality.
If homesexuality was the norm, you probably would not be here.
Let kids be kids, don't force your twisted thinking onto them.
edit on 16-8-2011 by Sailor Sam because: spelling

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

By that reasoning, native americans aren't normal just because there are far less of them than other races.

Fail.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by freakjive
Don't get on me about the source. I hate Fox News as much as anyone else. It's just where the content is coming from.

edit on 8/10/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

I love FOX News.

Having said that, leave Bert and Ernie alone. They're fking puppets for chrissake. How can a bunch of yarn be gay? get over it.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101
All of you are missing the point in this. The thing with kids that people don't realize is that it isn't about sexual orientation to them. It's about the people. To kids with 2 mommies or 2 daddies, that's all they are. Mommies and daddies. They're a family, and that's what's important to them. Teaching our kids at a young age about differences in families will benefit all of us. They see heterosexual couples in 99% of everything they watch, including cartoon shows, and they learn (yes they learn about this at that age) that it is normal. Having a homosexual couple in a show like SS will show the kids that it's normal for someone to have 2 mommies or 2 daddies.
How is that hard to understand? We teach them tolerance and acceptance at an early age that it's okay to look different, to be of a different race, and to be raised different. Why is this so much worse?

If you think "kids are too young to learn about this" then they need to take all of the heterosexual couples out of kids shows because as I stated above, they learn that it is normal.

Originally posted by Lysergic

Well said, Lysergic.

I grew up watching Bert and Ernie and never ONE FREAKING TIME did it occur to my little innocent brain to question their sexual orientation.

All that sht is courtesy of the left.

TV is crap. Can't watch a football game with your 8 year old boy without him asking you what "erectile dysfunction" means.

I have a long list of people I want to have a short, pointed and violent talk with.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
the worst part of being a puppet? you don't have a say in if you'll be the pitcher or the catcher. its practically rape.

this is wrong on so many levels. what happened to letting people decide for themselves instead of being indoctrinated?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

If it's not normal, you better go tell nature and all 450+ species that indulge in homosexual acts that it isn't.

p.s. If it wasn't normal, it wouldn't have happened for thousands of years.
edit on 17-8-2011 by Believer101 because: Forgot to add something.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tangonine

Did you even /read/ my post? Wow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join