It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bert And Ernie Finally Tying The Knot?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
All of you are missing the point in this. The thing with kids that people don't realize is that it isn't about sexual orientation to them. It's about the people. To kids with 2 mommies or 2 daddies, that's all they are. Mommies and daddies. They're a family, and that's what's important to them. Teaching our kids at a young age about differences in families will benefit all of us. They see heterosexual couples in 99% of everything they watch, including cartoon shows, and they learn (yes they learn about this at that age) that it is normal. Having a homosexual couple in a show like SS will show the kids that it's normal for someone to have 2 mommies or 2 daddies.
How is that hard to understand? We teach them tolerance and acceptance at an early age that it's okay to look different, to be of a different race, and to be raised different. Why is this so much worse?

If you think "kids are too young to learn about this" then they need to take all of the heterosexual couples out of kids shows because as I stated above, they learn that it is normal.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101

If you think "kids are too young to learn about this" then they need to take all of the heterosexual couples out of kids shows because as I stated above, they learn that it is normal.

But Sesame Street doesn't have any couples in their muppet ensemble so that's the disconnect. You are right that it would be beneficial to have more alternative family structures portrayed in television but, in this case, would be totally out of place. If Ms Piggy and Kermit ever got married, then there would be a case of inequality but, until then, I think they are all perfect as the platonic group of fur they are.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The fact that there is a petition by a bunch of absolute nitwits is not newsworthy in any way. PBS has already made a statement that it's not happening. There's no point to this thread other than you trying to stir up trouble.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I think it's a shame that people are pressuring PBS on this, Why make an issue out o it?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

You are true in this statement. If they don't want it to be Bert and Ernie, then they should have it be a human couple that's gay and they have an adopted child.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

So trying to teach our kids tolerance, acceptance, and that it's okay to have 2 moms or 2 dads in their family makes us nitwits? What does that make you, then?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Believer101

So trying to teach our kids tolerance, acceptance, and that it's okay to have 2 moms or 2 dads in their family makes us nitwits? What does that make you, then?

Moral, ethical. Smarter than you. Smarter than most humans. More able to say what is good for the human race. An adult, rather than a child.

Children like to whine about why they can't have various things. Why why why can't I stay up later? Why can't I just eat candy?

Society is just eating candy now. Our moral teeth are rotting to the core.

Tolerance is not the same as acceptance. You want universal acceptance. Stop lying about your own motives.

I like to say that progressive liberals are usually wrong for the right reasons, and fundamentalist conservatives are usually right for the wrong reasons. This is one of those times. It doesn't make a bit of difference to me what 2 men want to do. It does make a difference to me the ultimate effect gay marriage has on society. As a student of the human race and resident genius of these forums, I am qualified to state that it is not a positive thing. As a small-minded creature, only able to taste the sweetness of the candy, you are not.

Humans are simply not able to collectively understand what is best for them. Christianity helped us get there for a while, we got really lucky with it in fact. Now that it's slowly dying out, we have very little hope in our future. No coherent alternative to religion has been developed. Left to our own devices, making our own standards of behavior, we slowly destroy ourselves. I hereby mark that on humanity's tombstone. Pre-posthumously.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Moral, huh? Smarter? Oh, there's my answer right there, you're a Christian. No point in trying to change your mind. You're so warped in your belief you wouldn't listen to a word I would say. Remember something though, your "god" and "bible" state to "treat thy neighbor as thyself". Which means treat everyone the way you want to be treated. Gays are included in that.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Whether or not the creators of Sesame Street, or some stupid lobby group is trying to use Ernie and Bert to teach children tolerence is subject to debate, what irks me here is that there seems to be an inference that it is up to Ernie and Bert are being expected to teach kids.

Um . . . I didn't watch much Sesame Street as a kid, but I do recall my folks sitting me down on a number of occasions to teach me that everyone on the planet celebrates differences yet we are all human beings . .. sexual orientation, gender, race, religion and the like were those differences you celebrated.

I'm a tad concerned that we put so much reliance on a pair of damn sock puppets to teach morality and ethics to our children. Yup . . . pop in a DVD . . . parenting done.

Why not take the kid to a park and let them play with a bunch of other kids there . . . kids of all different races, colors, creeds . . . and let them do it before the tube, or the grandparents or the parents or the siblings begin to teach them otherwise.

And they'd be getting exercise too!!!!!

Just one of those things that make me go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
About time those crazy kids made it official!

Who's the top?

Edit to add - personally, I think it'd be Bert - Ernies always asking for his opinion. Either way, don't H8! (even with puppets/muppets/what have you.
edit on 18/8/2011 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

I agree, but you've got to remember, parents are lazy and stupid. They're lazy at parenting, and rely on television to do their work for them. Because we're in the technology age, they think it's fine to just pop their kids in front of the TV so they don't have to do any work.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join