It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best way to take advantage of the gold market?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well how about Goldman Sach's trumpeting that gold could reach $2500 by years end. That's a 45% projected increase ! nothing to scoff at. I'm sure many of the nay sayers would have also laughed @ $1800 gold too. At some point it will come down, the bubble will burst, but with QE3 on the horizon (Jackson Hole perhaps ?) and turbulent global markets it doesn't take a genius to put this together.

src

That said I'm in silver bullion myself

brill
edit on 10-8-2011 by brill because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Don't even think about buying gold now, that is pure insanity, to buy at current prices.

This is a bubble that will eventually burst, then everyone who has bought in recently is going to lose BIG time.

Small amounts of gold (not as an investment) but simply as insurance against a worthless dollar means that you will at least have something of value in a worst case scenario, would be a wise move for anyone that can afford it, and does NOT have any gold now... But buying now means that you will lose on that investment, eventually.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
I know there are older threads on this, but this is a call to all ATS investing experts.

I dont know a ton about investing in gold....what is the best way to do so, given the current economic situation?

Thanks in advance...

I use Everbank. After starting a Euro account (I even get interest in euros on it), it was easy to buy gold and I made simple phone call to the trading desk. I bought at like 1420, and it's like 1800 now. But you have to be careful with your investment decision, and it's probably best to diversify. I didn't know this at first, and I poured a bunch of loot into Euros when it was at 1.60, and not its at 1.40.. bad decision. I should have went with a Euro, gold, silver combination back then, and I would be filthy rich
but I was worried about gold and silver not being FDIC insured. What a dumb idea. My silver was bought at like 45, and now is at like 39, so be careful with investing. I'd have to say diversify.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Gold has been overbought in this recent run up, it will most likely have a savage correction at some point. If you are serious about getting into the gold or silver market then wait for the correction.

The Gold bull market has a long way to go. For those that currently own gold, they need to hold it through all the ups and downs. Gold's final destination will be at parity with the Dow. That may be 3000, 5000, 10,000. Nobody knows.

Disclaimer: I own 42 ounces of gold & 712 ounces of silver.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm usually pretty stingy when it comes to awarding ATS accoutrements of praise, but this page has some of the best Gold/investment commentary I've read on this forum in quite awhile.

Stars to brill, MegaCurious, and XplanetX

The only thing I might add for the OP is a suggestion to ignore uneducated and biased remarks about the negative value of owning Gold in a potential SHTF scenario. Check the performance of precious metals in previous, documented economic meltdowns and currency crises. You'll find the historical record is quite clear on this matter.

What I'm really excited about is yesterday and today's divergence in the HUI against general equities. We may finally be witnessing the long awaited end to that nagging hedge fund ratio trade > long the metals, short Jr mining shares. Along with the miners, it looks like Silver is also trying to break it's equities yoke. Hope so cause I own Silver too,

but....

GL

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
I dont know a ton about investing in gold....what is the best way to do so, given the current economic situation?

Mine it!

Elf

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Thank you all for the replies! Ive made up my mind not to invest in gold at this time....makes sense!

Thank you again!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Open one of those "WE BUY GOLD" stores and rip off the poor by buying their old jewelry for a fraction of it's actual value. They get some money but you get their gold for a good price.

Melt it down, sell some for the actual value and keep the rest as a long term investment.

Pretty simple.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

What are you thinking now that we finally got the increase in the MMR?

As I am typing now we are slipping back under 1800.

What a ride for gold this week. Phenomenal week regardless. Lucky I am 60/40 bonds or else these past couple weeks could have been a killer. Still has been really.

I am thinking if gld keeps up after this margin hike I might try to get into some options. Pretty broke right now unfortunately.. Day late dollar short.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
buy gold, then when it goes up, sell it. Buy more, wait, sell more. It's pretty simple. It'll keep going up so you can always make a profit as the middle man. If you're talking on a global scale, then the government confiscated gold from their citizens, so basically they STOLE the gold, then with the gold they printed currency backed by the gold, then slowly removed that backing of gold, and now we have a worthless paper fiat.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Right. I've seen currency that says, "Silver Certificate." Meaning that the note was backed by Silver. Now it says, "Federal Reserve Note." Please go to the ATS search feature and look up "Federal Reserve" and read all the posts. It's an IOU written on special paper.

You're feeling pretty low, now. Aren't you?

Yep. The greenbacks in your pocket are meaningless. Well, they mean something for as long as it suits those who stand to make 'real money.' You are not one of those people.

The 'worth' of my property was $680,000 six years ago - ACCORDING TO THE BANK. Same bank, six years later values my property a couple of hundred thousand lower. Purely arbitrary. That's the dollar in your pocket - its value is arbitrary. The only change was that the banks got their wrists slapped for a bit of shenanigans.

As noted above, diamonds are kept "scarce" and their value high. Are they really scarce? Not a bit of it. There are millions of them in vaults. They only release a certain number to give the illusion of value. Your dollar is the same. They tell you it has value, but cannot back that up with anything other than manipulated data.

Gold is the same. It's not worth $1800 per ounce. That's just current trading.The value is based on an intangible.
Bet all your worth on the return of Christ by 2012 - or whatever the popular date is. It's the same bet. It's got no value at all. When and if the SHTF, the gold is just yellow metal.

Trade will be in canned goods, firearms, and medical supplies. I'm not being a fatalist, bit trying to show you that wealth is based on the wealthy manipulating the worth. You'll never be part of their club, so you should possibly invest in something meaningful. Gold is worth a lot short term, for as long as the wealthy see it as valuable. When the price plummets (and it will), it's because someone decided that it should. If the SHTF it will be valuable for only those who can manipulate the system correctly.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Dance4Life

Hey Dance. What's interesting about that CME announcement is that it came in an up market and Gold continued to rise, along with smoke and the pungent odor of burning shorts. Probably cause MRs apply to equally to both sides of the trade. Yeah, now it looks like we're backing-off as bit nervous, marginally funded spec longs rush to get out the way of a self fulfilling prophecy...taking their hard earned booty with them. Today's trade should appear in Friday's COT report. Guess we'll know more then. Anyway, we can use a rest imho.

After yesterday's rally, I was caught off guard by the rapid retest. An acquaintance' cycle analysis called for an SPX bottom by Fed speak yesterday, followed by a strong rally topping the first week of Sept, then another leg down with the 2010 low as a minimum PO. Lets see what happens tomorrow.

Freaky market, and I can tell you're an experienced equities trader. With action like this, I make a better spectator than speculator. Content to watch the majors from my little perch on the poop deck of the RMS Titanic.

GL, D.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I am invested in gold mining stocks since about 2002. Don't buy now. Wait for a pull back then buy what you can and be willing and able to wait if necessary. Able being the key.

The gold equivalent of 1980 is 2400...after that, depending on where the dollar is and international currency, it becomes bubble.

If you don't understand the stock market and how it works and can't be ready to pull the trigger when needed (since gold is approaching some top predictions) find another asset. Or, don't invest more than you can afford to lose. You must be disciplined.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XplanetX

I own 42 ounces of gold & 712 ounces of silver.

errrr.....where did you say you lived?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OBE1

In all honesty I don't think the game has changed except for this Euro bank situation. Large cap US equities still have tremendous cash and still look good to me personally.

The way the vix has acted to me personally signals some sort of bottom. We retested today and seemed to hold, futures up decent now. Still won't know a bottom for a long while. If I was bold I would go aggressive right now, but I have to say the 30 year looks better than the SP right now.

Back to the post. We have some great weekly / daily candles being formed. It can turn around any time but no reason to step in front of the train. 2000 by the end of this year might even be pessimistic. Spectacular run. Maybe a small flush of the weak here.. could be the best buy opportunity in a long time.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

I've worked in the precious metals industry for years. I bought gold at $400/oz and silver at $8/oz. The first thing you have to ask yourself is what you want to achieve? If you want to protect yourself from further American dollar decline, buy gold. If you want to make a higher profit return, buy silver. If you want to make the biggest profit return on your investment, do some homework on the best silver mining companies and wait for the stock market to completely collapse. Then buy as many shares in the best silver mining company you've found and sit back and watch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join