It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theists. Does this do anything to your consciousness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Theists. Does this do anything to you consciousness?

I direct this question more to literalists and fundamentals who read the Bible literally. Others of course are welcome to comment.

Let me point out that I think of the Bible as a book of wisdom that it is a consolidation of many of the older religions of that day and is a good book to help us seek God by analyzing the old myths. If read literally, the reader will miss out on the rather wonderful thinking stimulated by it and miss the purpose that the book was put together point to. I do not disrespect it but have little respect for literal readers for that reason. They end up idol worshiping a book of myths.

www.youtube.com...

This scholar speaks to the archeology that is killing the historicity of the Bible.
video.google.com...#

This scholar is showing the plagiarizing and or forgeries of scriptures.
www.youtube.com...=437

It is interesting to note that both of these prominent scholars came from fundamentalist religions before their research, as well as the scholars they quote, changed their overall views.

They, like myself do not want to dissuade the search for God but only want to point out that God may be bigger than the pigeon hole/Bible that theist have put him in. As a religionist, to me, God is big enough to be everyone’s God. Not just a chosen few. Theists should like this notion because then, God, if real, remains now, as in the beginning, master of all and not just master of some.

Regards
DL
edit on 10-8-2011 by Greatest I am because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Greatest I am

Hahaha, well said...

Funny i just posted this on a different thread a minute ago....

Honestly... Don't you think its quite obvious the earth is MUCH older then what Genesis tells you?

My question to you is, why do you believe what you read in the bible is the "end all be all" of our knowledge of God?

God is within you and me and everyone, and is not limited to a silly book written millenia ago

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Sound parameters.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

. . .want to point out that God may be bigger than the pigeon hole/Bible that theist have put him in. As a religionist, to me, God is big enough to be everyone’s God. Not just a chosen few. Theists should like this notion because then, God, if real, remains now, as in the beginning, master of all and not just master of some.
This seems very conciliatory of you.
You are being very tolerant of a god concept and I am happy you don't feel any particular distaste to it.
God, to me is very big and not pidgeonholable except in some people's own minds.
I envision a God who is not insecure and feels no threat to himself.
God in my opinion needs no adoration from us and quite the reverse, would rather not have it at this time but to save all that untill later.
God does not want a universe infected by bad and evil activity, but wants a harmonious one without discord.
He tolerates it for now, not wanting to destroy the ones in the midst of it who could be better in better circumstances.

edit on 10-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

You wrote:

["God, to me is very big and not pidgeonholable except in some people's own minds."]

Like Brahman or Ain Soph.

Quote: ["God does not want a universe infected by bad and evil activity, but wants a harmonious one without discord."]

Almost buddhism if stretched a bit.

Quote: ["He tolerates it for now, not wanting to destroy the ones in the midst of it who could be better in better circumstances."]

And here comes gnosticism.

I'm not sarcastic now. I like this many-faceted, but not enforced bredth.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
"I envision a God who's playing lead guitar for Lynard Skynard. And I'm in the front row. And I'm Hammered drunk!"
-Cal Naughton Jr.

=) Sorry couldn't resist...

God is Unnamable, Unknowable, and Unimaginable. The sooner we can all agree to disagree on something we can never know the faster we can work on loving each other

Namaste

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Hahaha, well said...

Funny i just posted this on a different thread a minute ago....

Honestly... Don't you think its quite obvious the earth is MUCH older then what Genesis tells you?

My question to you is, why do you believe what you read in the bible is the "end all be all" of our knowledge of God?

God is within you and me and everyone, and is not limited to a silly book written millenia ago

Rather Gnostic of you. I agree.

Strange as I remember thinking you were more fundy some time ago.
Perhaps it is just memory.
Then again, I sometimes sound like a fundy myself on the O P because I use literal scriptures to compose my premises.

I will have to start paying attention to what you write more.

Regards
DL

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

. . .want to point out that God may be bigger than the pigeon hole/Bible that theist have put him in. As a religionist, to me, God is big enough to be everyone’s God. Not just a chosen few. Theists should like this notion because then, God, if real, remains now, as in the beginning, master of all and not just master of some.
This seems very conciliatory of you.
You are being very tolerant of a god concept and I am happy you don't feel any particular distaste to it.
God, to me is very big and not pidgeonholable except in some people's own minds.
I envision a God who is not insecure and feels no threat to himself.
God in my opinion needs no adoration from us and quite the reverse, would rather not have it at this time but to save all that untill later.
God does not want a universe infected by bad and evil activity, but wants a harmonious one without discord.
He tolerates it for now, not wanting to destroy the ones in the midst of it who could be better in better circumstances.

edit on 10-8-2011 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

Thanks for this.

Why do you think he, after living who knows how long, would need and demand love, adoration, obedience etc at any given point in time?

Bible God is a genocidal maniac so I think anyone who follows and will give him love, adoration, obedience would be a good candidate for the Hitler youth camps.

The Godhead I know makes no such demands now and I cannot see that situation changing.

Regards
DL

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Buddha1098
"I envision a God who's playing lead guitar for Lynard Skynard. And I'm in the front row. And I'm Hammered drunk!"
-Cal Naughton Jr.

=) Sorry couldn't resist...

God is Unnamable, Unknowable, and Unimaginable. The sooner we can all agree to disagree on something we can never know the faster we can work on loving each other

Namaste

Yes, Strange how so many can fathom the unfathomable.

Jews almost always seem brighter than Christians.
Too bad that whre they stole your God they did not steal your interpretations and in fact, turned many of them around.
Like Eden became a fall that Jews saw as man's elevation to knowledge and civilization.

Regards
DL

top topics

join