It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Liquid Causes Illness at Ft Wayne, Indiana Airport : UPDATE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Breaking story on FNC, An airport worker became ill when a bag containing a powder broke open at the airport, according to the report, the bag belonged to a doctor from Lebanon who was not on the flight. The airport has been closed and Hazmat team has been called in. The incident occurred at 2 AM this morning. The doctor is trying to be reached to find out what the powder is.
Will update when further info is available.

www.indystar.com
FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- A white powder spilled from a bag being unloaded at the Fort Wayne Airport this morning, making at least one airport worker ill and forcing the closure of the airport.

The bag was being unloaded from an American Eagle flight from Chicago, airport spokeswoman Sandra Lux said. She said the bag belongs to a doctor from Beirut, Lebanon, who was not on the flight.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

UPDATE:

Suspicious liquid shuts Ft. Wayne airport
FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- A liquid leaked from an unclaimed bag today inside the Fort Wayne International Airport, causing some workers to report feeling ill and prompting authorities to halt passenger service.

The owner of the bag told FBI agents that the substance was a liquid used in making perfume, said Tory Richardson, the airport's executive director. Tests were being conducted to determine whether that account was correct.

"It appears as though he's cooperating," Richardson said of the bag's owner.

Tests found no air contamination in the airport terminal, he said.

The bag's owner was a doctor traveling from Lebanon who apparently flew into the country on Tuesday, but was not on the flight to Fort Wayne, Richardson said.

[edit on 8/18/04 by JacKatMtn]

[edit on 8-18-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-18-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
hmmm, I doctor from a foriegn country, bag with white powder and HE wasn't even on the flight, something smells here.

I know someone in FT Wayne, I'm going to call her and see if there's anything going on that we're not being told about...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I see the first poster neglected to say the Doctor was from Lebanon. Is it not true this country is predomintently Muslim. Let's do a reality check people.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
I see the first poster neglected to say the Doctor was from Lebanon. Is it not true this country is predomintently Muslim. Let's do a reality check people.

IT DOES SAY THE DOCTOR WAS FROM LEBANON IN THE NEWS ARTICLE...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Remember post 9-11 MUCH talk and discord about NO baggage without the seat-holder? NO baggage was supposed to be taken without a person onboard that belonged to the baggage.

It is hard for me to imagine powder, any powder, being shipped in such a way the bag could be torn. The originating airport should be banned from allowable origination points for U.S. destinations even if the powder ends up being allowable

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Wow, thats a little to close to home for my liking considering Im in Indianapolis. This is the first time I have been within even 200 miles of something like this!

Very interesting...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
But does the doctor actuallly exist or is this a way of of furthering the so called 'war on terrorism'???

Thoughts??

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch

Actually around 70% of Lebanon is Muslim so lets get a reality check!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
60% Muslim, 40% Christian according to this site:

www.pcusa.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Erle
60% Muslim, 40% Christian according to this site:

www.pcusa.org...

We would agree that it is prodominantley Muslim then?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The story has been updated:
www.indystar.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Must have been some really bad perfume!

A liquid substance that forced authorities to shut down the Fort Wayne International Airport in Fort Wayne, Indiana, for several hours Wednesday has been determined to be a component used to make perfume, a fire department official said.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
get out your maps LEBANON is a town just north of Indy

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'd still like to know why he wasn't on the flight with his bag... someone said that isn't allowed anymore... ????

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Actually, all I can find in the articles is that the Doctor was traveling from Lebanon, and as it mentions flying into the country, I do believe they are referring to the one in the mid-east.

But it does not actually identify the nationality of the Dr. himself.

BTW, I have Lebanese friends and from what they tell me, Lebanon was a Christian nation but it has been under the occupation of Syria for so long, that is the reason for the high muslim population at this point. It does acutally upset them that their beloved country is now viewed as another predominantly muslim country with the current state of the world.

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I'd still like to know why he wasn't on the flight with his bag... someone said that isn't allowed anymore... ????

This one is bothering me too. I travelled to Morocco in the mid eighties and even back then no bag went onto the plane unless a passenger boarding it claimed it on the way in to be theirs. Why are we so far behind on this stuff?

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The airport is now open and tests conducted by the FBI said the chemical was consistent with perfume making. While the outcome is good, the questions about the security involved in this incident remain to be answered...

Ft. Wayne airport re-opened

Fort Wayne, IN - The Fort Wayne International Airport reopened Wednesday afternoon after a suspicious, leaking piece of luggage triggered a twelve-hour lockdown. The leaking, abandoned package belonged to a doctor from Beirut, Lebanon.

His package was on board a 50-person American Eagle regional jet from Chicago, but he was not. How or why the incident happened is still unknown.

The passenger was from Beirut, Lebanon according to the report.

[edit on 8/18/04 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Lebanese purfume:

"CS in the cedars No. 5"

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
powdered sugar. As usual

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well excuse me,

It sure sounds like an excellent probe. No way are we gonna mess with a legitimate Dr. On the other hand what is a Dr. importing substances to manufacture perfume, seems like wrinkle cream would be more believable. I'd start by breaking his fingers!

TUT

top topics

join