It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North, South Korea Trade Artillery Salvos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

North, South Korea Trade Artillery Salvos

www.bloomberg.com< br />

North Korea and South Korea traded artillery fire near the countries’ disputed sea border that was the scene of a deadly shelling in November.

North Korea fired a second round into the waters near Yeonpyeong Island yesterday after three South Korean shells were fired into the sea around 2 p.m. local time, Yonhap news reported. Residents of the island heard the salvos, Yonhap’s Korean language service said.

South Korea was responding to an initial salvo from the North an hour earlier, said a defense ministry official who declined to be identified, citing government policy. The defense
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Looks like these two countries are determined to start a war.
Not sure who fired first, as i have had no time to read the article properly, just come in from work.

I have to say that the world in general at the moment feels like it's on a knife edge.

Peace seems to be the exception to the otherwise violent rule.

www.bloomberg.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I think you mean resume war. The Korean war ended in a cease fire only.

From what I have seen it looks like a North Korean artillery shell landed in south korean waters (N. Korea doesnt accept that maratim border). Like and hour laster the South shot towards the north as a "warning".

All its going to take is a pvt on either side of the line to over react and it will be game on.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
As long as they keep shooting the sea I think we'll all be ok

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
What a mess we are in.

Don't we have 40,000+ troops on the DMZ?

This has the potential for disaster.

I hope it's just more bluster from the North.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Anyone notice that when world events heat up, North Korea always does something like this?

Like my teacher told me when I was little, Negative attention is better than no attention at all.
NK is trying to get attention.

link   
reply to post by rigel4

Yeah this looks like it could very well be the start of it (or restart I should say).

The story seems kind of strange to me though. It says SK was responding to shelling from NK, but I cant find anyone else confirming that. I think SK has instigated a lot of the military events in the peninsula. They know if they even simply taunt the NK's they will attack.

I'm pretty sure NK and SK want this war. NK for hope of improving there poverty stricken country and taking revenge on the south, and SK to push the global capitalist agenda.

It will happen soon. Lets just hope China doesn't get involved, because the US will get dragged into it.

link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

After reading the entire article it very likley is a bluster for more attention.
Hoever you never can tell what lil kim is going to do. That's how it is with little
mad midgets.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

If it were to start , it is very unlikely that China would stay out of it. I don't see how they could!
The North would be over run in days. This would mean that the South Korens would be on the Chinese border.
The Chinese will see this as an unacceptable threat, as the South Koreans will have US units with them.
The very last thing the Chinese will want is the US and it's new bases along their southern border.
edit on 10-8-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Everyone cross your fingers that this finally comes to a head....

The constant threat has been well thought out by the US/ SK troops in that area.. There is a clear plan to tackle the artillery problem and any others that would arise. Piss on China and what they think.. Unite Korea!

The south needs to roll over "little kim" and release these people from the drab and grey reality that they are stuck in.

These people are living in the 1920's... Starving, repressed and trapped! Free the people kill the leader!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I will ask one simple question.

What has North and South Korea's business got to do with the rest of the world (appart from the Environmental impact)?

Can we not simply let them deal with their own business or should we stick our noses in there too and then cry later about the blowback?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

Then I say Lets shower him with attention!!!
Immediately!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye
I think SK has instigated a lot of the military events in the peninsula. They know if they even simply taunt the NK's they will attack.

I always found this logic kinda of one sided (no offense btw). I say this because the world knows what the South is about, they know what the North is about. I always find it backwards when the "responsible" nation is delegated the task of do not provoke while the North does whatever they want.

Whether its now, tomrrow or 5 years down the road, the problem still remains, no matter how many excersises the south cancels so as not to provoke the north. Intelligence is saying that the North has sent an assasin to the south to kill the Defense Minister because of his hard line stance on the North.

We give them food - they continue their nuke program.
We give them oil/gas - they continue their nuke program
The North holds wargames - we watch.
The south / US hold war games and kim jong threatens to reign fire down on them.

That level of arrogance will only work on the North Korean people. I wish more western countries would stand up to the north and put and end to it once and for all. The longer we wait, the more nukes they build.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
little ill for got his chill pill, it will be ok, for his son will find the pill for ill to take, China will do the spanking this time, they still want Taiwan. North and south are just saying hello, the only way the know how, you shoot... no you.... no you... ok we both will.
edit on 10-8-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

I will ask one simple question.

What has North and South Korea's business got to do with the rest of the world (appart from the Environmental impact)?

Can we not simply let them deal with their own business or should we stick our noses in there too and then cry later about the blowback?

Sure, we could do that. But if N and S Korea go to war, it is BAD for the rest of the world. North Korea is a nuclear nation that has been on the brink of collapse for many years, and they are desperate for aid and well, honestly...I am not sure what NK wants anymore.

Re-unification of the Korean peninsula on North Korean terms I think, which is just plain unacceptable

en.wikipedia.org...

The link gives the history of North Korea, which is very important in order to understand why we are there and have been since the Korean war (which is technically still going on).

A quote for the link:

In 2002 Kim Jong Il declared that "money should be capable of measuring the worth of all commodities", followed by some small market economy relaxations, and the creation of the Kaesong Industrial Region with transport links to South Korea was announced. Experiments are under way to allow factory managers to fire underperforming workers and give bonuses. China’s investments increased to $200 million in 2004. China has counseled North Korea’s leaders to gradually open the economy to market forces, and it is possible this path will be successfully followed as well as China's policy of keeping political control firmly in the hands of the communist party. China for its part has sought to preserve North Korea as a strategic buffer zone, in part to prevent a mass influx of refugees and also out of the desire to not have a unified, American-backed Korea on its border. North Korea declared on Feb. 10, 2005 that it has nuclear weapons[10] bringing widespread calls for the North to return to the six-party talks aimed at curbing its nuclear program. It was initially disputed by outside sources whether or not North Korea has nuclear weapons, and many Russian sources denied that North Korea has the technology necessary to build a nuclear weapon. On Monday, 9 October 2006, North Korea has announced that it had successfully detonated a nuclear device underground at 10:36 am local time without any radiation leak. An official at South Korea's seismic monitoring center confirmed a magnitude-3.6 tremor felt at the time North Korea said it conducted the test was not a natural occurrence. Associated Press Additionally, North Korea has a very active missile development program. In 1998, North Korea tested a Taepondong-1 Space Launch Vehicle, which successfully launched but failed to reach orbit. On July 5, 2006, they tested a Taepodong-2 ICBM that reportedly could reach the west coast of the U.S. in the 2-stage version, or the entire U.S. with a third stage. However, the missile failed shortly after launch, so it is unknown what its exact capabilities are or how close North Korea is to perfecting the technology. North Korea's advancements in weapons technology appear to give them leverage in ongoing negotiations with the United Nations and other countries. On Feb 13, 2007, North Korea signed an agreement with South Korea, the United States, Russia, China, and Japan, in which North Korea will shut down its Yongbyon nuclear reactor in exchange for economic and energy assistance. However in 2009 the North continued its nuclear test program. Further tensions between the north and south began in 2010 when a South Korean navy ship was sunk, later reports revealed a torpedo from North Korea was the cause.

The potential is there for a major war, it is one of a small few places on earth where nuclear war is only an hour or two away at all times.

If the two Korea's go to war, the USA is obligated to defend the south as much as china is obligated to defend the north. (Again)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
SO give us a Single World government and get over with all the silly wars then.

If that is what you want, go ahead. I am not stopping you lol.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

China's entering the conflict would depend on many circumstances. They know if they did get involved it would push the western powers into helping the South Koreans. But they might find opportunity due to the western worlds bad economic situation. While China is in the same bad economic boat, they are much better off then other nations.

I also think that the South Koreans would be hard pressed to just steam roll over North Korea. The NK army is very large and very powerful. I do not doubt that NK would lose, but it would take a while. Many NK soldiers would probably defect, I would be bold enough to say more than 25 % of them. But even with that many soldiers gone the NK army still outnumbers the SK army.

reply to post by Xcathdra

No offense taken Xcathdra.

I agree with you for the most part. NK is a horrible nation, even compared to most communist nations of the past and present. They created a pseudo-communist/theocratic/dictatorship. The people of NK deserve to be free of their oppression.

But I what think it is really taboo in the Korea debate, is talking about the negative aspects of South Korea. The South Koreans have deliberately provoked the North Koreans on many occasions. Usually these are things are not much of a big deal, such as South Korean soldiers making banners with hate speech on them and putting them where the NK military can see them. but the military exercises they have initiated with the US and other allies are very questionable taking place very close to NK territory, despite there being other places where these exercises can take place.

I love the Korean people. They are good people. That is why I don't like to pick sides, even though the SK people are free (or at least have the illusion of freedom like the US) their government is corrupt as it has always been I read stories like this and I just shake my head.

I have said it before and I will say it again.

If it wasn't for the communist powers and the capitalist/democratic powers after WW2 deciding without Korean approval to split the country up. The Koreans would still be unified and have their own form of government which they wanted. But the US, China, and Russia did not want that, because they wanted a shadow war to fight each other in.

Korean Reunification it needs to happen so China and the US cant further control the two nations like puppets.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
reply to post by Openeye

If it were to start , it is very unlikely that China would stay out of it. I don't see how they could!
The North would be over run in days.

You really think so? The North has a powerful military and nukes the "mad little midget" could potentially use, if he felt overly threatened.

I think they would only be over run in days if we got involved, and probably not even then. Then, that comes back around to how could China NOT get involved?

What a mess .....

edit on 10-8-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling

SO give us a Single World government and get over with all the silly wars then.

If that is what you want, go ahead. I am not stopping you lol.

We get a silly world government and we will have silly global civil wars.

Doesn't matter what the system is, humans are going to fight.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

I think, even without the US, S, Korea would be victorious in a short amount of time. Yes N. Kores has a massive army. The issue they have though is their military is literally stuck in the 1950's / 1960's. They also still believe in the typical communist doctrine of quantity over quality.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join